Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Looking for Boards/Bindings]: First Timer

Hello all,

Long story short, I found my way here coming into my second season of snowboarding. While I do enjoy snowboarding (I am enamored with the backcountry freestyle aspect; I suggest watching "Deeper" and "Furthur" by Teton Gravity Research), I grew up with hockey, practically living on ice for a good 16 years. It's not that I'm discouraged with the learning curve of snowboarding; I've progressed well enough to enjoy myslef, but still feel very limited and unnatural.

Thus, I'm looking to get into skiboarding, and this is the forum to get immersed in it. After spending a good 3 hours perusing ebay, CL and rummaging around the internet, I've found a few options. However, I wanted to know if anyone had an arrow too many in the quiver, and was looking to let them go.

I'll source the ski boots myself (fitting in person, as well as the cost associated with the whole snowboard boot setup, as risers+snowboard bindings= more than the boards), but am looking for non-release bindings and a set of boards. For me, it's function over form, as I'm not sure if I'll take to it.

I'm bidding on the Revolt 105's mentioned in the forum (which, in November, were posted on here), but would need bindings. There are also a pair of SnowJam 90cm locally, and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on them. http://worcester.craigslist.org/for/3465308393.html . I'm 6'1", ~165 with the winter gear on, if it helps (as the chart is based on height/weight).

All in all, thanks in advance for the help. Any leads would be great.

Take care,
    -Y

Hi Y,

While I don't have boards to part with, I do have an extra pair of mis-matched Revolts (same boards, different graphics...Thank you Brandon) that will soon have bindings (Thanks Greco). I also live in Massachusetts and have been dying to get others on skiboards. If you are not successful buying and want to meet up somewhere, let me know (not even sure if Wachusett is open yet, but soon?). I skied, then got into hockey, then tried skiboarding and will NEVER go back to regular skis again. It is just that much fun! Even if/when you do get boards, please keep me in mind for meeting up at a mountain in MA or NH.....I have been dying to go with someone else on skiboards.

Thanks,
    Derek

Comment

Y&m,

I'm in New York, but I spend almost every weekend in southern Vermont. I have two pairs of revels, and an old pair of lines. I only have two sets of bindings though. If you guys are interested in meeting up one day... I'd love to ride with other skib's. let me know:-)

Zach
      33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Yegg View Post
        I grew up with hockey, practically living on ice for a good 16 years.
        Y,

Glad you found this site, I think you'll find that your hockey skills translate very naturally to skiboarding, as many hockey players on here will vouch for. Those craigslist snowjams aren't junk, they have standard inserts and perfectly useable bindings. Nothing wrong with those for trying out and discovering for yourself how you take to the sport. If your initial set-up is inexpensive, you won't feel as much pain when you upgrade boards (which almost everyone does sooner or later). I'm 6'4", played hockey, took to rental 99cm skiboards immediately after a mixed-success attempt at skiing, and now live happily ever after on Spruce 120's (among other rides).

Comment

...and this is why I posted here. Lest than 24 hours, and three people offering up the assistance they can. Someone posted in another thread (about skis that almost ski like skiboards) how it's not the activity that is the heart of the forum, but the people. Very true, in my short stint here.

@Derrick; this sounds like a great possibility. Wachusett was open for a bit, though I opted for Ski Ward (nothing like a $10 lift ticket for 4 hours of laps on a 200 vertical hill 15 minutes from home, to shake off the rust). I assume I'll get auctioned-sniped for the Revolts on eBay, so meeting @ Wachusett, trying them out, and going from there might be the best bet for me. I haven't found a place that rents, and it seems like you're more than happy to have me test them out, so why not? I'll let keep you posted on the auction.

@Zach; Nothing beats absolute immersion for learning, and getting to meet up and learn the ropes would be fantastic. If it so happens that I'm board-less in a week or so, I'll have to ask some specifics on the Revels and bindings, and sort out a deal (I'll pay all shipping, obviously).

@Bill; good to know. It's hard to tell, at times, what are the flimsy ski-blades and what is a real skiboard. Glad to hear that 99cm on someone 6'4" isn't a deal breaker, either. Hoping to live happily-ever-after on skiboards, but we'll see.

Thanks again for all the help,

-Y

Comment

Hi Yegg,

I guess I should tell you those are my Trees you're bidding on. I've had them for sale or trade here on SBOL for about six weeks and have been unable to sell or trade them.. so I put them on ebay about six days ago. I wish I would have known you were interested. I'd love for you to get them.. but it's out of my hands for now. Good luck. What I can tell you about them is I bought them new here from Greco this year to take to shredfest, rode them for two days, cleaned them up and put them away for the rest of the season. They literally look like they just came out of the box. If you end up as high bidder, I have an extra set of Receptors I'll sell to you.

I'm 6' tall and weight 175 lbs and come from a hockey / skating background and have been on skiboards for about ten years now and wouldnt think about going back to skiing. Skiboarding is closest thing you'll find to the feel of ice skating.

If you can.. Id suggest going to Shredfest this coming Feburary 2013. This years Shredfest was my first and It was truly the best skiboard learning expericene I've had. All shapes and sizes.. newer, older, wider and thin... I cant remeber if I was talking about the riders or the boards.. lol. Its a coummunity of fun.. like minded people with a common goal of promoting the sport of skiboarding.

If you have any questions, please fell to ask.

Rick
            rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
            ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Rick,

Sounds good. I found them on eBay, and then was going through the forum and noticed your for-sale post. Same username, same location (CA), I put two and two together. Good to hear you have a set of receptors for sale; I'm still on the fence of ski vs. snowboard boots; I'll try with ski boots at first and then see if I want to spend the money to move over to a GGO binding. We'll see.

I think you were asking for $200 anyways, so it will probably come to that. I'll take a look at ShredFest, and I'll see what I can do. Seems like the best place to just gel with people; much like snowboarding was in the 80s, with people just finding each other at contest/meetups.

Thanks again!
              -Y

Comment

Working...
              X