alps vs condors for backcountry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alps vs condors for backcountry

Yahh I'm finally ready to pick up my first set of Revel boards, with Revel 8 non release bindings.

These most importantly are for sierra backcountry use combined with snow shoes, I don't plan to tour with these(at least right now) since I have a Hagan off limits setup for touring.

I was planning on just grabbing the condors, but I noticed in the comparison chart they rate near identical to the alps. Condors get slight nod for powder, Alps get the nod for all mountain but still appear great in powder.

So I'm just thinking if the alps really do 95% as good as condors in deep powder, yet are a bit slimmer and better on all mountain maybe those are smarter to get. I think Condors might bug me with their hugeness for all mountain, but again most important thing is backcountry use, all mountain use would just be a bonus.

I love most of the graphics on the Revel boards but have to say sorry the condor graphic really doesn't appeal to me at all :/ so I admit that's a factor.

I'm 6 foot 155lbs fyi

Any feedback appreciated thanks.

Well you'll have to ask jack about the comparison between these two boards but i have the condors and i can assure you that the condors will do great as an all mountain board. They hold an edge on ice plow through crud and really float through deep powder. I believe that Jack has done a comparison and says that the alps didn't work as well for him in pow he does have about 30-40lbs on you tho. But im 6'1" and 165 and the condors are great they float in 3 feet of fluffy pow. So i would suggest the condor because they can get you anywhere and everywhere you'll never have trouble with float.
    10 Revel8 Condors
    08 Revel8 BWP w/ 08 Bomber's
    Line Five-0's w/ Snowjam Extreme II's
    Line Jedi's on the Skibike
    Line FF composite

Comment

Destin , I have both the Alps and the Condors and for me there is absolutely no comparison for backcountry .. the Condors rule !
      The increase float and ease of use in difficult crud etc is not a small thing it is absolutely huge ! the increase width of the Condor under foot provides astronomically increased stability and float in difficult backcountry conditions , the very soft flex of the Condor is magic in backcountry snow and makes a big wide board much easier to manuever than you would think . I have the softess flexing original Alp and the Condor is even flexier then that , yet holds an edge on firm snow .. magic !
      The condor is the same weight essentially as the Alp yet hugely increased firepower in backcoutnry snow .. matches perfectly to carrying with snowshoes... that is how Kxrider went into the backcountry with me .. Both Kxrider and I were on Condors in deep untracked backcountry pow and were just ripping it , easy as pie ...
      Get the Condor !!!

ps . I also have the Hagan . and a Condor with a non releaser set back a bit beats the Hagan by spades in my book as a backcountry board , more float , more fun , even easier in difficult backcoutnry snow . that is why I no longer ride the Hagan and tour in the backcountry on the Condor on non release skiboard bindings with touring cables , Kxrider watched me sell my Hagan to another guy on our backcountry trip !
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I've never been on the Alp's but I agree with jjue that the Condors turn chop into a magic carpet ride, do well in powder and do hold a mean edge when driven from the heels. It's a neat trick for a highly flexible board to stiffen up like that. I tend to stay back on them (dead on my heels) in both powder and on the groom. I need to spend more time on the Condors but I've used them with both non-release and Spruce Pro's center mounted and experienced not a single issue with the width. They roll right over. They have their own ways which is why I need to spend more time on them. The only thing that made me shaky on the Condors was when I got over the front of them on groom. They made it clear they did not like that. Fair enough. Give me some more time but there really isn't any negative tendencies to overcome. They're mild mannered and provide a really neat feel in powder and chop.
        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Thanks Jack and everyone, that's very helpful!

Yah that does it Condors it is then

Originally posted by jjue View Post
          ps . I also have the Hagan . and a Condor with a non releaser set back a bit beats the Hagan by spades in my book as a backcountry board , more float , more fun , even easier in difficult backcoutnry snow . that is why I no longer ride the Hagan and tour in the backcountry on the Condor on non release skiboard bindings with touring cables , Kxrider watched me sell my Hagan to another guy on our backcountry trip !
          thanks, yeh I think you're talking about the setup you discuss here
          http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=9427

Sounds nice, I've seen you getting around in them on some of the videos too.

Going to give them a try with slow shoes first, then see if I feel like trying to do your modification for touring I suspect I will as I'm a big fan of touring overall.

thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X