'08 KTP's on the groom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 KTP's on the groom

Today I took the KTP's on groom for the first time. This was planned. I placed a 0/0 edge on them and wanted to see what I could do with them before heading to the park and beating that edge off. I was surprised. The KTP did very well on the windblown, hardpack 28 degree groomers I raced down first thing this morning. I was actually a bit anxious because this was also my first time on slope with non-release bindings. Turned out to be a non-issue. The KTP's dug in well and held a good line. They got a little freaky at speed when compared to my longboards but I couldn't believe the fun factor at less than warp speed. Turning was a no setup, no thought process. At speed, the boards wiggled around under me and didn't feel as controllable in the chop. On the other hands, they were so fun I headed to the 33 degree mogul field that was there and totally owned it. I felt like I was walking quickly over bumps. They were so much fun that on my first mogul run with them I got to switching back and forth so fast that the bottom half of my body zigged while my upper body was still zagging causing me to high-side in an hilarious tumble. I actually went end over end before using my face to stop by banging against the side of a mogul. I stood up, brushed myself off, made sure no good looking women seen that shit and then went about acting like it never happened. Great fun.

As a side note, the hard pack took a toll on my left leg - the one I blew the hamstring on last year. The hamstring clearly fatigued early and let me know it. Most of the day I spent taking runs in human size bites. I'd skiboard for 4-5 minutes, pull over and wait for my hammy to stop having that lactic acid feel and then press on. I kept stretching it out and didn't do any serious carving. A few knuckle drags here and there on the 120's was about it. By 1500 I was done. The spirit was willing but my left leg was pure pasta. No problemo. I'll go strong when my body says I can and I'll back off a notch when it says to do that. Either way, I'll be skiboarding.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Glad you enjoyed your first time on the KTP's and with non-releasers, Mahatma. That's one of my favorite setups for agressive carving in variable conditions.

Did you make it to the park at all that day?
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

crazyboy-1,

Yes, I did go to the park but since my leg wasn't feeling so strong all I did was glide box lines and worked on 180 spins while on and dropping off fakie. That was fun for about 90 minutes before I switched over to the 120's. But, the park was still great fun because there was a band of young guys - 4 or 5 snowboarders and 3 skiers that were totally kick ass. They owned the park doing everything. They came across as good kids. Young with the latest fashion and gear, tons of what I'll call appropriate attitude and skills to spare. They were also very gentle with everyone around them. They did not muscle their way up to the front when waiting for their run, chose to smoke off to one side at the top of the run (which is totally acceptable), chose to drink gatorade and coffee instead of beer (as seen by where they all ditched their packpacks and crap near the top of the park) and generally gave the impression of good kids having a good time. Oh, when I say "kids" I mean they all appeared to be something less than 20 years old. I don't say "kid" in a deragatory way. I'm 42. If you are 18 I get to call you kid. I very much enjoyed chomping a few sandwiches while watching them from the peanut gallery at lunch. They never seemed to tire. Ahh, to be young again.
      "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

How's the edge on your KTP's? My first pair just had fair sharpness. Otherwise the boards were very impressive construction.

Comment

Working...
        X