No announcement yet.

Backcountry Touring on Brett's Rig ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backcountry Touring on Brett's Rig ...

I am lucky to live close enough to the backcountry to squeeze a morning tour in before work this afternoon .

Today , I am on the Condor himself's personal rig ... Original 08 condor with Zeros set up to allow a 4cm set back . I have been eager to try the set back Zero's in deep pow ever since hearing that Brett likes riding his boards that way .

Ok here is Brett Connor's own rig ... well not exactly ! a few of my own personal additions to turn it into a touring rig ...

Dawn (700am ) finds me unloading my Van and getting set up to go ... skins on the Condors , pack loaded up , poles extended to help me on the tour..

On the trail at dawn in the mountains , new snow and morning alpenglow on the mountains .. very nice !

The first part of trail has been broken by skiers and snowshoers headed out to Peter Grubb hut in Round Valley a popular destination .. and is fast going for me .

but instead of the valley ,I turn and head up the ridge toward a hidden secret pow stash of mine that should be still in prime condition 4 days after the big storm . No one has been this way since Sunday and I break trail myself , no problem with the Condors on my feet . great float in the deep snow .

Here is looking back on my trail on the ridge ...

Skins off , touring cables removed, locked and loaded on my Zeros on the Condors , Helmet on and poles collapsed and stowed on the pack , ready to head out on the untouched deep pow straight ahead . Just beyond the low angled section the slope drops very steeply into a very special slope scattered with nice big trees. hard to find the entry for those not in the know ...
    Slow has accused me of being a tease and I am going to do it again .. see you are NOT going to see that slope or see me having the time of my life dropping it .. see you at the bottom !

Ok pop out through these trees , the slope is invisible to those from the trail below .. Brett is right ! the Condor set up with a bit of a set back , is magic !!! the tail drops down , tips up . The first part is in some crusty snow .. but don't notice the crust , just feels like nice pow on my Condors! Turning is a dream .. think turn and the board turns .. I emulate Brett , two boards stuck together like a snowboard riding off the tails snaking down the unbroken steep deep pow ... Too quickly it is all over . .

I pop out my poles and stuff my helmet into my pack ,bit warmer now , so just a vest and cap is enough .. The trail back toward the car is a bit of a bobsled run with fast sections and sections that go up a little , poles are useful to scoot yourself down the trail .. I meet a snowshoer coming up the trail and we talk a bit about my weird snowshoe like skis . He is kind enough to snap a photo of a very happy skiboarder!

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Jack,

Very interesting.... Boy you are the man to get up there at the crack of dawn. I didn't think you would go back to riding with a setback. Do you have a preference or is it just different, both good ways. Does the setback make turning even easier on the Condor? I would think like the Hagan it would.

Wendell
    Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
    Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
    Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
    History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
      Jack,

Very interesting.... Boy you are the man to get up there at the crack of dawn. I didn't think you would go back to riding with a setback. Do you have a preference or is it just different, both good ways. Does the setback make turning even easier on the Condor? I would think like the Hagan it would.

Wendell
      The Condor works very well center mount as well as with the set back , you don't need to weight the tail all that much even in center mount . I think the set back on the Condor helps riding crusty snow , and also helps with fore and aft stability when you transition between snows with different consistency
      Turning is quite easy either way . I think I will probably ride it mostly center mount at the resort , but tend to ride it set back in the backcountry where soft snow , crusty snow and variable snow is the norm .
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

ok jack you inspire me so much to do this! i already ordered the new condors and i need to order those tele cables and skins and im hittin you up i need to do some back country and always wanting to go. That pow stash is great and you are the perfect guide to go with. ill let you know when i get all my stuff together and you can help me set it all up for a lil trip we can make
        10 Revel8 Condors
        08 Revel8 BWP w/ 08 Bomber's
        Line Five-0's w/ Snowjam Extreme II's
        Line Jedi's on the Skibike
        Line FF composite

Comment

Originally posted by kx125rider1313 View Post
          ok jack you inspire me so much to do this! i already ordered the new condors and i need to order those tele cables and skins and im hittin you up i need to do some back country and always wanting to go. That pow stash is great and you are the perfect guide to go with. ill let you know when i get all my stuff together and you can help me set it all up for a lil trip we can make
          super cool kx , would really be my pleasure !
          Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

This question just popped into my head as I was reading the first part of your post. When you are climbing on the Condors, do you follow ski tracks or snowshoe tracks?
            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
              This question just popped into my head as I was reading the first part of your post. When you are climbing on the Condors, do you follow ski tracks or snowshoe tracks?
              The trail you see in the beginning of this post is a mixed use trail that is used by both skiers and snowshoers but basically on the Condor with skins you would be looking to follow ski tracks which are smoother and easier to slide along then bumpy snowshoe trails. No problem etiquette wise with you using snowshoe trails as well with your condors with skins , but the reverse is not always true .. ie if you are hiking with snowshoes it is not cool to hike up on skier only tracks because you tear up the smooth surface.
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

jack you are frickin awsome. I have been preaching condors with the setback zeros for the last 2 seasons ,but you are such a better writer than I am you conveyd what i wanted to say in a much better way. I will have pics and vid in a month or so to show you and the rest of the skiboard world how and why I do what I do.
                live it, love it,rip it!!

Comment

Jack,

You always manage to produce envy. I mean, I just have to hate you. Yuk yuk yuk. Hey, you took off some weight.
                  "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                    The trail you see in the beginning of this post is a mixed use trail that is used by both skiers and snowshoers but basically on the Condor with skins you would be looking to follow ski tracks which are smoother and easier to slide along then bumpy snowshoe trails. No problem etiquette wise with you using snowshoe trails as well with your condors with skins , but the reverse is not always true .. ie if you are hiking with snowshoes it is not cool to hike up on skier only tracks because you tear up the smooth surface.
                    The etiquette question is what I wondered about. I remembered you mentioning the difference, and I wondered if the extra width of the Condors would destroy regular ski tracks.
                    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                      The etiquette question is what I wondered about. I remembered you mentioning the difference, and I wondered if the extra width of the Condors would destroy regular ski tracks.
                      Now there are a number of backcountry skis with the same tip as the Condor
                      eg Icelantic Shaman , and splitboards also have about the same width as the Condor .. so ski tracks aren't so skinny anymore !
                      Boards :
                      Boots
                      Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                        Jack,
                        .. Hey, you took off some weight.
                        yeah down to a trimmer 185lbs vs previous 195lbs , float a little better on my big boards in the backcountry ! i think it is my new lunch time diet of Vietnamese chicken pho' noodle soup and a bananna .. hope I can keep it off during the holidays
                        ! If i keep going and get down to Valmorel's 175 lbs . .maybe I can get rid of the Sherpa and the Condor and just ride the Spruce 120 like him !!!!
                        Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                          yeah down to a trimmer 185lbs vs previous 195lbs , float a little better on my big boards in the backcountry ! i think it is my new lunch time diet of Vietnamese chicken pho' noodle soup and a bananna .. hope I can keep it off during the holidays
                          ! If i keep going and get down to Valmorel's 175 lbs . .maybe I can get rid of the Sherpa and the Condor and just ride the Spruce 120 like him !!!!
                          Jack,

You're down to my weight now. I've been losing some too. Now you can toss down the big plate of pasta with sausage at Sugar Bowl.

Wendell
                          Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

More experiments with set backs on the Condors

Today had a nice chance to ride Brett's set back zero set up on the Condor at the ski resort ... after going through a period where I was a strong advocate of set backs on skiboards , more recently i have become a devotee of the pure church of center mount skiboarding and love that center mounted feel to the carve and have found that if the board is floaty enough like the Sherpa and the Condor I can dispense with set back.. so I was very interested when Brett was talking about how much he liked riding the Condor set back ... my first experiment with the 4cm set back on the zeros in the backcountry was very successful but I was worried about how I would think about riding my Condors all the time with a set back including at the resort . I really have enjoyed the Condor in all conditions center mounted with Spruce riser and with the Line ff pros .. but bought the Zeros so I could go back to the kind of set backs Brett has been using to see what I thought .
                            Here is a pic looking down on my boots to show you what a 4cm set back looks like on the Condors

I brought my screwdriver in case I had to move the Zeros forward to center mount if I hated the set back .. Never needed to use the screwdriver !

Even though I like my Sherpa ridden center mount ... and ride my KTP center mount at the resort ( only using the rear inserts in the backcountry ) I liked Brett's set up a lot including at the resort and will ride it that way all the time .

On groomers , initially the 4cm set back felt a bit odd .. I did not feel my tips carving as well as usually . but I just adjusted my weight a bit with a bit more of a forward lean and felt the tips engage nicely into a carve and the tails working well as well , had nice groomers with some real firm sections and the carve worked very well and was very pleasant .. This is different than the way I feel on the KTP on firm snow set back 4cm .. I really don't like the way the KTP feels that way in firm snow .. (but love it set back 4cm in pow ) . I was very worried that a 4cm set back on the Condor would mess with my enjoyment of carving on firm snow but it did not .

In Moguls also no problems ... I felt plenty manuverable ,the longer flexy front section gave me a little more suspension , and moguls worked very well . This is different then the Sherpa , where when I set back my bindings I feel that I have a harder time getting my rhythym in the moguls without ski poles .
                            I really like the way my center mount Condor works in moguls and was afraid that the set back would mess with that but it did not .

The major advantage of the set back was to make this kind of snow easier to navigate ... (refrozen cut up crud 7 days after the last snowstorm - my personal playground , no one else there on the busiest day of the year so far ! )

The set back does not feel too far back and I do not feel like I am in the rear seat but it allows me to drive through this kind of snow .. with less pitching fore and aft and less of a tendency to catch my tip in the inconsistent snow and go over the handlebars . .. the tails naturally drop and the tips go up in this kind of snow which makes it easier to drive aggressively through the stuff . .very nice ...

So I think I AM a full convert to Brett's set back zero binding on the Condors and will ride it that way all the time . Bombers will also allow a signficant set back , just 1cm less then the Zeros .. ( I can get 3cm on the Bombers vs 4cm on the Zeros) . If you have the Spruce powder plates you can set back the Spruce riser 5cm ... I don't know how much set back makes a difference . . but have tried 2cm back on the Line ff pros and that does not seem to be any diifferent to me then center on the Condor in terms of feel in variable snow , pow and firm snow .
                            Boards :
                            Boots
                            Bindings:

Comment

'Even though I like my Sherpa ridden center mount ... and ride my KTP center mount at the resort ( only using the rear inserts in the backcountry ) I liked Brett's set up a lot including at the resort and will ride it that way all the time .'

Oh NO! Back to the Dark Side
                              Crossbow (go to dream board)
                              Most everything else over time.
                              Go Android

Comment

Working...
                              X