In the White Room with Condors and Sherpa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the White Room with Condors and Sherpa

Big sierra storm cycle last few days and my son and I went up to Sugar bowl after the biggest dump for a little white room session !

Here is the magic carpet transporting us up to the white room ... .

Here is the morning ride , folks just couldn't figure me out , weird giant snowblades on my feet , telemark boots but no telemark binding , weird front bale binding , WTF is that ???????

This was the first time I had the Condors in deep pow and they lived up to all my expectations .. . wonderful dropping in on the white room , got some untracked steep and it was smooth as silk bouncing from turn to turn down , later the stuff got tracked a bit , and when a big dump like this gets tracked it gets to be a serious undulating ocean with big drops were folks have cut the snow with their skis and snowboards, mixed with huge mounds of untracked in between . I was amazed at how well the tiny Condors navigated the stormy ocean , just pick up a bit of speed and plow through .. Yes , not as well as the Sherpas ( more on that later ) but simply astounding for such a tiny board.
    And yes I MEAN tiny . The Condor was defintely tiny compared to the monstrous powder skis lots of folks were sporting today . My son on his big powerful Winterstick pow snowboard , felt I was going too slow and should switch to the Sherpas post haste... but I was having too much fun to do that ...
    see on a shortboard like the Condor I just love making tons of turns , it just seems to be more fun that way , so of course on a 110 skiboard I make twice as many turns as my son on his 168 snowboard , and yes it takes me a little longer to get down the slope but who is having more fun ????
    (Condor set up :Line ff pros , with telemark t2 boots , set back 2 cm on the binding )

In the afternoon it was time to switch out to the Sherpas .. Wow these things feel BIG compared to the " tiny " Condors that I had on my feet all morning ..

BUT taking them up to the white room , let's me understand the magic, once more , of the Spruce longboard project .. This was to give skiboards a bit more length to give them added stability in variable snow and some increased speed but to retain the magic skiboard feel . Jeff , of course , managed , that in spades with the Sherpa .. It feels and turns just like a skiboard , just like my Condor , just bigger . The increase in stabiility in variable terrain of 20 cm extra length is not a small matter , it is huge . There is a whole lot less work to control fore and aft pitching in variable terrain . This leads to a more relaxed ride . Think of short board surfers , compared to longboard surfers ...

shortboarders make shorter turns , are more active ... longboard surfers have a classic smooth style ... on the Sherpa my turns are wider in arc in the snow ,

Float in both boards is about the same .. I really do not need to weight the tails much on either board .. but I do have to shift my body weight on the fly more actively front and back to control fore and aft pitching in variable broken deep snow on the Condors , this is not hard to do and actually is fun , but it leads to a different FEEL to the ride .. Which board is better ? There is no better board , they just have a different feel .. the Condor is way more skateable and more manuverable especially with a non releaser binding , it responds quicker to my body motions then the Sherpa , but the Sherpa is more stable in variable terrain , they are both all terrain boards and equal favorites of mine . In their own ways with the design of these two boards G and Jeff Singer have hit bulls eye with producing true all mountain skiboards that are fabulous in white room conditions and yet carve up a storm on ice and groomers.
    On the Condors in deep pow " I float like a butterfly and sting like a bee "
    on the burly Sherpas I AM the TERMINATOR ready to roll over anything in its path , on the Condors I am on a super fun all terrain motorcycle , on the Sherpas I am on a HUMMER...

Later we go from some side country exploration outside the ski area boundaries. and suddenly realize why I carry collapsible poles on my pack .. it realy is helpful walking on flat backcountry trail cut my some previous riders ...

Here is my son trying to take his snowboard off and walk a bit and instead sinks into the snow ...

I lend him a pole and he scoots a long the trail on his snowboard

Powder is a rare commodity and out west we can get big dumps of the stuff and when that happens , the white room is open for business !!!
    One of those real special days today ... thanks G and Jeff for making such fabulous boards , that help making playing in the white room so special !
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Very jealous!
    1996 89cm Line MNP, FF Aluminum
    2008 101cm Revel8 KTP, Bombers
    2008 130cm Spruce Sherpa, Salomon Z10Ti on Pro Prime Riser
    2010 110cm Revel8 Condors on pre-order
    2009 Lange Concept 85 boots
    2010 Full Tilt Konflict boots
    2009/10 Custom SkiBike (DONE)

"Turning is totally counter-productive; all it does is slow you down" - Old Chinese Skier from Warren Miller's 'Dynasty'

Comment

What? Jack? Here I read your title and expect to hear some Cream....now I'm mad, mad that I don't hear Cream and jealous because I wish I had some awesome riding like that. Looks like a blast!
      Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

today was my most epic day as well just up at sierra at tahoe. Man did i have fun i was ripping up the powder on my BWPs lol. It was so much fun. Later had to demo some long sticks. they were rossi reverse camber pow skis and those were pretty fun but i cant wait to get my condors so i can rip on those
        10 Revel8 Condors
        08 Revel8 BWP w/ 08 Bomber's
        Line Five-0's w/ Snowjam Extreme II's
        Line Jedi's on the Skibike
        Line FF composite

Comment

Great report Jack. I'm heading up tonight to ride the next 2 days. I hope there it plenty of powder left. Will be riding my Sherpas at Squaw.

Wendell
          Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Thanks for teasing us Jack.
            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Working...
            X