105's or 110's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 105's or 110's?

Hey guys, whats up? I'm Brad and I really want to buy a pair of skiboards and bindings for this season. I am debating on whether to get 105 cm or 110cm boards

A little background first:

I have been skiing for around 7 years. I would consider myself an intermediate skier but not overly aggressive. Last season I had my first experience on skiboards. They were the crappy Salomon ones that were under 100 cm long. I liked how I maneuverable they were but they didn't seem stable enough.

I ride at a place called Sundown Mountain in Dubuque, Iowa. The runs there are all groomed. I dont ride in the park either.

Also, I am about 5' 9" and 165 lbs

The three models I am looking at are the Condors, the ALP's, and the Revolts. I would ride release bindings on any of these boards.

I want a board that is very stable and easy to get on edge. I just dont know if there is a huge difference in stability between the Revolts and the ALP's or Condors. I have read that the Revolts are supposed to be great all around boards and the Condors and ALP's are great for powder. I like that the Condors are super wide, but would they not be well suited to groomers?

Thanks

-Brad

I think you should get Revolts but I'm going to field this to someone that has actually ridden the boards
    Revel8 ALPdors
    Gold Revel8 Receptors
    Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
    ____
    Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
    If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Brad, welcome to the SBOL forum and skiboarding.

If you have not done so already, check out these threads:
      http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=7115
      http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=6725

If you are considering non-release bindings, then Revolts may be a better choice since you are at the lower end of the recommended height for 110s.

ALPs or Revolts if you are going releasable bindings. They are both excellent boards. If you like carving hard and sharp go for the Revolts, but if you like holding a straighter line while staying on edge, go for the ALPs.

No need for Condors at your weight; they would just be a little harder to get on edge on the groomers.
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I'd probably go with the ALPs but would suggest looking at the BWPs as well.
        08 Condors -> FF Pros | 08 KTPs -> FF Pros | Line Sun 83s -> Line comp. Freeblocks

Comment

That was quick! Thanks for the fast responses guys!

So I can rule out the Condors.

Between the Revolts and the ALP's, would there be a huge difference in stability. Does the 5 cm difference make the boards that much different from each other?

@swallow evil: i have looked at the BWP's but I think they would just be too short for what I want to do.

Thanks

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by BJE View Post
            That was quick! Thanks for the fast responses guys!

So I can rule out the Condors.

Between the Revolts and the ALP's, would there be a huge difference in stability. Does the 5 cm difference make the boards that much different from each other?

@swallow evil: i have looked at the BWP's but I think they would just be too short for what I want to do.

Thanks

-Brad
            5cm adds a suprising amount to the surface area. great for float and streighter runs without as much squirliness. the loss is some of the tight turn radius as a consiquence. so the big questions are where you skiboard is there lots of powder? do you perfer the deep carves or strieghter drops down the slopes.
            skiboarding since 1996. salomon skiblade and 4x4 insert added ficher web XXL, summit custom woodies, line mnp, line jedis, summit marauders, revel8 revolts, spruce sherpa, and lacriox 125. my bindings are spruce risers, bomber elite bindings, ff pros, freeflex and cams.

Comment

Thanks for the response hyperguy

If there is powder at the place i ski, there is usually only a few inches. I have never seen more than a foot there.

i have never been on a pair of real skiboards before so im not really sure what to look for. I know that i want to be able to lay down nice carves but have stability at the same time. i like the fact that the ALP's will be more stable but wil they be a lot less maneuverable than the revolts?

thanks

brad

Comment

Thanks for the response hyperguy

If there is powder at the place i ski, there is usually only a few inches. I have never seen more than a foot there.

i have never been on a pair of real skiboards before so im not really sure what to look for. I know that i want to be able to lay down nice carves but have stability at the same time. i like the fact that the ALP's will be more stable but wil they be a lot less maneuverable than the revolts?

thanks

brad
                The beauty of these two boards is that when you put them side by side they both excell in the same areas. they both slide down the mountain ,carve , float, butter and everything else that flexible skiboards do.

the question is what do they specialization in. one is a little better at carving or floating, there is no wrong answer with these two.

I like going streighter, faster, and i butter to turn tighter + stop faster and in everything from the powder to the ice, in the trees to the groomers.
                so i like longer boards with a larger turn radius and wider bases for easier butters and more float for when i need it. Out of the two Ide chose the alps for my style.
                skiboarding since 1996. salomon skiblade and 4x4 insert added ficher web XXL, summit custom woodies, line mnp, line jedis, summit marauders, revel8 revolts, spruce sherpa, and lacriox 125. my bindings are spruce risers, bomber elite bindings, ff pros, freeflex and cams.

Comment

I agree with Hyperguy......can't go wrong either way, but the ALPs would be more my style too....they lean a little more to all-mountain with the added float. Generally I would never suggest this in choosing boards...but it may come down to which graphics ya like better! Good luck with the tough choice!
                  1996 89cm Line MNP, FF Aluminum
                  2008 101cm Revel8 KTP, Bombers
                  2008 130cm Spruce Sherpa, Salomon Z10Ti on Pro Prime Riser
                  2010 110cm Revel8 Condors on pre-order
                  2009 Lange Concept 85 boots
                  2010 Full Tilt Konflict boots
                  2009/10 Custom SkiBike (DONE)

"Turning is totally counter-productive; all it does is slow you down" - Old Chinese Skier from Warren Miller's 'Dynasty'

Comment

Brad,

What binding are you considering?
                    sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

Hi Brad and welcome,

I grew up in the Cedar Rapids area (Mt. Vernon) and lived there for 30 years. I grew up skiing at Sundown also and started at your age. The snow there will work for any skiboard. Do not worry about the 5 cm difference . I used to ski on bigfoots (65cm) and 90 cm Soloman skiblades at Sundown with out any problem.It was usually packed man made snow. I think the revolts would be great for you and you wouldn't have any problems, especially I like the shorter board if you get non release bindings.

Chad
                      64 CM Bigfoot’s
                      100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
                      110 CM Rockered Condors
                      130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Brad,

If you have doubts about whether the revolts will provide sufficient front to back stability, try this test:
                        http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...9374#post89374

It comes down to how much our balance and strength have developed.

Also, do not overlook the binding consideration.
                        sigpic

Comment

I ride at a place called Sundown Mountain in Dubuque, Iowa. The runs there are all groomed. -Brad
                          Having growned up in the Q.C. and having spent many a day at Sundown, the BWPs would be a blast there. I wouldn't rule them out.

So CAN, you grew up around Cedar Rapids. I bet we went to some of the same concerts at the Four Seasons Center.

P.S. My wife is an Iowegian like you. She's from Muscatine.
                          Boards/Bindings:
                          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Hi Scott,

Oh Yeah,

ACDC, Foriegner, The Police, ETC. I hit a lot of them. I got to tell you thought I don't miss the harsh winters. I much prefer to drive to the snow.

Chad
                            64 CM Bigfoot’s
                            100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
                            110 CM Rockered Condors
                            130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Hey Brad. I have both of those boards and have ridden them extensively with both release and fixed bindings. They are really quite similar, but the increased length of the Alp def increases stability, and all round, I find it a less tiring board than the Revolt. I suspect that if you get into skiboarding big time and start to want to ski some of the tougher areas, the Alp might be a little more versatile.
                              Crossbow (go to dream board)
                              Most everything else over time.
                              Go Android

Comment

Working...
                              X