Suggested Minimum height on skiboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested Minimum height on skiboards

I'm thinking of getting new skiboards this year with the revolution bindings. I'm a high intermediate skiboarder. I want an all mountain skiboard that's good in powder. I love carving, but need to improve on the bumps. I don't spend much time in the parks, but I like to get a little air.

I'm thinking of
    Groove Brinton Gundersen Pro or
    Canon M7

Greco has 5'6" listed for the suggested minimum height on both of these boards. What's the reason for that? I'm 5'4", 165lb.

Thoughts or Recommendations?

CM
    favorite setup: Blunts with SBOL modified Snowjam 540 bindings

I'm pretty short, too. I'm 5'4" or so and i have the Snowjam 90s. I really like them. I really want the new releasable bindings (due to knee injury and peace of mind). I haven't ridden the other boards you were talking about, but i haven't found any problems with my height and my boards.

Comment

How's the Knee?

Hey Snobunny!

How's the knee recovering? How much skiboarding are you going to be able to do this season?

CM

Comment

The 5'6" mark is a minimum safety requirement set by the board manufacturers.

-G

Comment

Safety requirement? hahaha. anyways, I had my ACL reconstruction in June and i hope to skiboard again in December. I lost a lot of muscle, but I've been trying to build it back up. once I get the releasables, I'll be good to go!I'm headed to Colorado in December (OSU is going to Copper and Vail from the 13-21)

Comment

What's the reasoning for that safety requirement. I'm not sure I understand why a certain height would be safer. I understand the need for weight to get a good arc in a stiff skiboard, but I don't quite get the height.

G- what do you recommend for those boards? Do you really think that it's unsafe?

Comment

if you're short and you use longer boards, with non releasable bindings, you have a longer "lever" (skiboard) at the end of your feet so more risk of damaging your knee or lower leg.

so, if you don't get the releasable bindings then i would suggest you go with shorter boards like the 90cm canon heritage. if you do get the releasable bindings the you probably can use the 99's.

-G

Comment

it's good when you can actually apply what you're learning to something you like. I'm in Mechanical Engineering, so we've learned about torques and it's exactly like Greco said, however I see it as if you're taller, you are more like a longer lever or torque arm on your boards. Anyways, I think that releasables will be the way to go. I need them to help reduce the risk of me tearing my knee again, and others will find them useful for not getting hurt as bad. maybe for others, it's something you don't want.

Comment

Thanks Greco and Snobunny!

That makes sense. I'll probably go with the releasables.

Greco - Are you still testing the Revolution-X bindings or are you done with that? What were the results?

Snobunny - Glad you are able to rehab in time for the season. Have fun at Vail and Copper!

Anybody have any thoughts on Groove vs. Canon?

-cm

Comment

we were just making sure they would work with skiboards and it looks like it's a 'go'. we put them up on the website so they can be pre-ordered and we're waiting for our shipment now, should be a couple of weeks.

g

Comment

Working...
                    X