• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extruded = Good ?

I was always told

Sintered good
    Extruded bad

The new allz boards are extruded and = good?

Anyone ride those boards yet?
    www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
    DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
    Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
    GGO soft boot bindings
    Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Extruded bases are smoother than sintered bases. This means that unwaxed, they are generally faster. The downside is that extruded bases hardly hold any wax to help them out in varrying conditions.

Sintered bases, on the other hand, suck up wax like a sponge and using different waxes for different conditions will give them a huge advantage if waxed regularly.

Comment

allz decided to use extruded bases to help keep costs down....doing that along with capped construction allowed martins to put out a highquality skiboard that is in the medium price range.

Comment

hmmm, So if used an all temp wax on both sintered and extruded you wouldn't notice a difference in performance?

tyberesk just made me think of another question.

Does anyone have pics or link about sidewall vs capped construction. Pros and Cons?

Edit* Whoops just relized I put this thread in the wrong section.
        Last edited by bee; 12-21-2007, 08:30 PM.
        www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
        DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
        Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
        GGO soft boot bindings
        Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

extruded bases just dont absorb wax that great. extruded bases can benefit from waxing, but dont need it.

sintered bases soak up a lot of wax, and when they are waxed will outperform and extruded base.
          Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Sintered bases were invented to be tougher than extruded, plain and simple. As Kirk says, they need to be kept well waxed to work properly, and really need hot waxing, rub on wax does not penetrate deep enough. BUT. Extruded bases have come a long way in the last few years, and are now pretty tough too.
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

anyone know what the bases are on Groove Invertigos?

Comment

Extruded, I think.
                RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by FlyinBrian87
                  anyone know what the bases are on Groove Invertigos?
                  I think they are sintered.....dont quote me.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

I compared mine my other boards, and the look more like the extruded bases. However, it's pretty hard for me to see a difference. Someone with solid knowledge will have to confirm one way or the other.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

According to the old SBmag board database, they are sintered.
                      I do it because I can.
                      I can because I want to.
                      I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                      '08 KTPs

Comment

Manle wins. Thanks Ska.

Comment

Can extruded bases be coloured??? Thats how I usually know.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Originally posted by Manlenium
                            Can extruded bases be coloured??? Thats how I usually know.
                            Well, if the bases on the snowblades that I certainly wouldn't admit to owning are any indication (hides head in shame. hey, anyone want some used snowblades?), extruded bases can be colored. Sintered bases have a way of looking like they want wax, in that the higher wear areas will get a certain uneven dullness to them. While sintered bases definitely require more maintenance, they glide far better. Granted I haven't ridden anything extruded in a couple of seasons, and the extruded boards I've messed with were generally lower quality.

Comment

Yeah, the graphics are just a matter of whether you use a black base or a clear one so that you can see through and see what is printed below. Doesn't matter what process is used.
                              I do it because I can.
                              I can because I want to.
                              I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                              '08 KTPs

Comment

Working...
                              X