Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Stickys worth "upgrading" from Revolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Stickys worth "upgrading" from Revolts?

Hey all,

Started out in the mid 2000's on K2 Fattys, and purchased my first pair of real skiboards in 2012, the Revolts. After 10 years, they still hold up incredibly well and I have no real complaints. I navigated back to SBOL's website recently and found the Sticky Icky Icky's. They seem to be a successor, doing everything the Revolts are designed to do but better. I ski on the east coast (NY, PA, VT) primarily on groomed and icy greens and blues occasionally in the glades if we get a decent amount of snow. I'm wondering if the SII's are worth spending the money on since I already own a pair of Revolts. I tried to research but there doesn't seem to be many reviews between the two boards. If I was just starting out I would of picked the SII, but since I already own a pair of Revolts im not sure they're worth moving over to.

SII's be are rockered, so you're probably going to slide more in the ice. But they will be easier to slide through the crud than the revolts.
    If you do end up buying anything, use my discount code.
    rickysentme
    rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
    ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Originally posted by rickylink View Post
      SII's be are rockered, so you're probably going to slide more in the ice. But they will be easier to slide through the crud than the revolts.
      If you do end up buying anything, use my discount code.
      rickysentme
      Thanks Ricky! Any input on bindings? I'm using a pair of Bomber Elite 2's on my revolts right now, was considering switching to release bindings but not sure its worth it, besides safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Skits View Post
        Hey all,

Started out in the mid 2000's on K2 Fattys, and purchased my first pair of real skiboards in 2012, the Revolts. After 10 years, they still hold up incredibly well and I have no real complaints. I navigated back to SBOL's website recently and found the Sticky Icky Icky's. They seem to be a successor, doing everything the Revolts are designed to do but better. I ski on the east coast (NY, PA, VT) primarily on groomed and icy greens and blues occasionally in the glades if we get a decent amount of snow. I'm wondering if the SII's are worth spending the money on since I already own a pair of Revolts. I tried to research but there doesn't seem to be many reviews between the two boards. If I was just starting out I would of picked the SII, but since I already own a pair of Revolts im not sure they're worth moving over to.
        Hey man, i am in Northeast PA and have tried the revolts and SII. While I really enjoyed both I ended up on the DLP as my favorite 110cm and under board. The SII are amazing for our area as they cut thru ice great and float over the death cookie crunchers that the groomers leave us. The DLP beat both of them because of the extra 5cm over the revolt. Same stiffness, a bit more running length and stability. Highly recommend trying them. You could easily swap the Revolt and Sticky and not really notice too much. Toss the DLP into the mix and it's a welcomed "WOW"
        Skis/Skiboards:
        2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
        2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
        2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
        2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
        20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
        2012 Salomon SPK 90
        2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
        2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

In my opinion all boards are great, I would not see any of them as an upgrade over previous models, they all bring something different and would suit different styles and preferences. Years ago I started on Revolts and loved them, I've just tried this winter the SII that I got for my daughter, indeed they do catch an edge somehow easier and carve a bit better on hardpack, but by no means they would be an automatic choice over the Revolts. Older designs are in no way obsolete, actually after the SII I went back to my KTPs - and although they are an old design, they are actually my second-best favorite board, I ride them setback and they can do groomers, powder, you name it. Generally more of a slarve than a carve on hardpack, but I don't mind.

Anyway, as mvhoffman was saying, both SII and DLPs are alternative to the Revolts, I would add the KTPs as well, or you could look at other rocker or rocker+camber boards and choose a complement to the Revolts instead of replacing them. Like the Spliffs, or the Playmakers or the Crossbows.

If you've spent so many years on non-release, I would not worry much about bindings, except if you consider going over 110cm in the future, where risers would be mandatory, or if you consider boards that have the setback only in a 4x10 pattern. Which is the case with the SII - that I personally liked slightly better setback than center mounted.
          Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
          Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
          Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

newbie2011

Thanks for the input! Maybe I’m thinking about it too much, like I said I have no issues with the revolts except getting through crud on soggy days. That and I also kinda miss how narrow and short the K2 Fattys were, it was like roller blading down the mountain. With the SIIs being more narrow I thought they’d fit that bill.

I’m going to try playing with my binding position when I go this weekend, ive never touched them since I got them 10 years ago. The revolts don’t have the extra set back position but I can still move the bindings back a slot and shift the front and back boot clams back a bit too.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Comment

... except getting through crud on soggy days. That and I also kinda miss how narrow and short the K2 Fattys were, it was like roller blading down the mountain. With the SIIs being more narrow I thought they’d fit that bill.
              Hey Skits - looks like you're not overthinking, as here you're pointing out to very specific things that indeed are good arguments for the SII.
              In general boards that have some amount of rocker are dealing much easier with piles of afternoon crud and the Stickies clearly fit the bill. And they are nimbler edge to edge, given their reduced width. And they come with setback position, that changes the feeling, for me center mount they were carving too hard, I liked them better setback.

Looks like you have good reasons to get a pair, anyway after trying both you could sell the pair that you like less...
              Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
              Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
              Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post
                Hey Skits - looks like you're not overthinking, as here you're pointing out to very specific things that indeed are good arguments for the SII.
                In general boards that have some amount of rocker are dealing much easier with piles of afternoon crud and the Stickies clearly fit the bill. And they are nimbler edge to edge, given their reduced width. And they come with setback position, that changes the feeling, for me center mount they were carving too hard, I liked them better setback.

Looks like you have good reasons to get a pair, anyway after trying both you could sell the pair that you like less...
                Very true, definitely going to look at all options. My bombers E2s are old and discontinued, the receptors worth snagging or it’s essentially the same thing?

Comment

I would also say that the Stickys aren't an upgrade from the Revolts but a different riding experience. All skiboards are fun. Some just do certain things better than others. For me, the Stickys have won out over all the boards I have had in the past. Everyone is different. If you can, try someone's Stickys before buying to see if they are right for you. If not, buy them to try them. You can always sell them and try again. That's what the majority of us have done.
                  Boards/Bindings:
                  2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                  2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                  Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

My bombers E2s are old and discontinued, the receptors worth snagging or it’s essentially the same thing?
                    I haven't used the Bombers myself, but I've read good reviews, I think the Receptors surpass them, at least in terms of micro-adjustments and setback capabilities. Depending on the board you'll be choosing, you might be tempted by the Spruce risers, which would fit the 4x10 setback pattern of some boards. If you're interested in setback mounting, that is. Anyway, in the specs table (https://www.skiboardsonline.com/board_specs.html) you'll find the exact setback pattern that every board eventually offers (4x4, 4x10 or none)

Comment

Working...
                    X