Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riser and skiboard effect on Binding lifespan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riser and skiboard effect on Binding lifespan.

I need the hive mind to help me figure this out. What effect would Risers and skiboards have on release binding life span? Would it increase, decrease, or make no difference?

I recently had a pair of very old salomon 610s break on me on my Risers. Now I blame no one, these were far too old, and no longer indemnified bindings. I would set those bindings DINs maxed to 10 when I'm supposed to be an 8, which is what i set my other skis to.

I've work on hundreds, maybe even thousands of ski bindings at work, and anecdotally among my colleagues and skiers notice that any binding ridden more aggressively wears down and fails quicker/ For example heavily ridden race or park ski bindings, which often fail tests after just a few years, while bindings mainly ridden cruising powder last years.

Anyone who uses both skis and skiboards know that skiboards rattle, or move side to side more than skis, which would create more vibrations thru to the binding components, springs and mechanisms. The Risers don't flex like a normal ski would, I'm not sure if that would create less or more vibrations, and the risers themselves allow the skiboards to flex more which could reduce vibrations? This is what I'm having a hard time figuring out.

What do you think, would our set up tend to increase or decrease release binding life span?
    Attached Files
    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

My own gut feeling (not scientific) , is that the introduction of a riser would tend to make little difference in binding failure and that such failure would much more be based on age of binding , also the type and design of binding especially metal vs. plastic parts , weight of rider and aggressiveness and style of riding .
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Your idea that a solid riser would be easier on a binding (no flex) makes sense to me, but I'm not sure whether that would influence lifespan. I could see it leading to less unintentional releases under normal conditions.

Given the smaller amount of leverage, I wonder if skiboards impose more impact force (jumps, bumps etc) under conditions that would release the binding on a long ski? Less leverage reduces the twisting or tip-induced forces that cause you to eject, but you'd also be able to slam through things a lot harder underfoot without causing a release.

I don't ride release bindings, but the base plates on my Receptors seem to get reliably bent with enough use; I suspect it's due to slamming the tips through moguls etc and causing my heels to travel upward while the back of the board is being forced down. This isn't putting enough pressure on my legs to be an issue, generally. Given that they are pretty beefy aluminum plates (and that I've bent at least one pair that was new enough to not be a metal fatigue issue), there's a fair bit of force present under foot.
      BOARDSLAYER
      Base / Edge Destruction X X X
      Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

So how often has anyone in this group had a binding failure/pre-release? I personally never had one which is great for me, but i know others have not been so lucky. As far as risers and life span I guess you would really have research that as far as binding, flex, etc. My question regarding risers would be "Do they really dampen the effects of vibration?" As far as flex goes, yes being on a much stiffer piece they would not have as much flex as being directly mounted but as far as vibration, the standard spruce riser being a direct metal/plastic would dampen a bit but not nearly as much as you would think. I would have to say that RVL8 riser if mounted on a rubber pad as with the receptors, then that would absorb a lot more vibration.

I personally direct mount my Sherpas. i love the way they feel and perform. I don't feel nearly as much reverberations from the snow and feel more of the snow under me because of the increased flex of the board. now under this description, i guess one would say that the Sherpas are more of a ski than a skiboard. As far as skis go, with the recommended mounting point of skis one would say that is the most neutral spot for flex/vibration/etc so therefore would it be much different than direct mounting a skiboard in the centered location?

This is a very interesting topic Steeps
        Skis/Skiboards:
        2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
        2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
        2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
        2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
        20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
        2012 Salomon SPK 90
        2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
        2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Roussel started it, don't blame me.

The only inadvertent binding release I've had was hanging upside down from a tree; the branch my foot was hooked on flipped the toe bail on my Receptor and popped it open. Boards usually break before bindings do, in my experience.
          BOARDSLAYER
          Base / Edge Destruction X X X
          Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
          X