Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on first pair.

Hi all,

So long story short, I find myself wanting a pair of Skiboards, so I've been doing a lot of research these past few weeks trying to work things out to at least a point where I'll understand what people are talking about...

I live in China, and have been looking at RVL8 boards, as I can get these shipped from Japan (Summit boards are also available but I only see great things regarding RVL8 here).

I can see a lot of people recommending SII as a first pair, with a few Spliff's thrown in too. I can also see this new Playmaker board. So these are what I've been looking into but the differences seem quite marginal to a leyman.

I'd like a pair that can handle groomers, with some minor ice condition. Just general fun on the slopes - there are basically no parks here, or off-piste runs.

My experience is competant, which is where the longer story comes in. I used to ski around 20 years ago, and a lot on snowblades in the late 90s / early 00s. I had to give this all up due to a persistant knee injury, and only recently I convinced my wife to go skiing. So consider me in a coma for the past 20 years... Hit the slope which felt amazing, but I quickly remembered why I found regular skiing so dull. And this started my journey for a pair of snowblades, which apparently don't exist anymore and certainly nothing like that here, which leads me here to this small but passionate community!

But which pair to get? Budget isn't a main concern, rather spend on something good that'll last a while than cheap out. Skill level is good I'd say. Conditions are groomers, some ice, just fun on the slopes. Would appreciate advice on bindings too. Looking at SII, although I particually like the graphics on the Revolt SEI.
    • I'm 180cm and 80kg.
    • Confident skiier, probably more used to snowblades / blading in my yoof.
    • Need boards / binding options, and probably boots.
    Thank you, hopefully that's all the information but I'm looking forward to any help anyone can offer!

I'm around your height and weight, and I love the SIIs. The Revolts would certainly work for you also. If you want the snowblade feel, SIIs will give it to you more than Revolts.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum !

I'll start with the bindings question, because the thought process is simpler: do you have any preference regarding release vs non-release bindings ? RVL8 Receptors are great as non-release, and Spruce risers will work with probably any releasable ski bindings that you would want. Keep in mind that on boards over 110cm you would have to use release bindings with Spruce risers.

All four boards that you mention would be good choices, I would add to those the KTPs and ALP/DLPs. Overall, because of being rockered, Spliff and Playmakers would have a slight advantage in powder, if you intend to do that. SII are probably somewhere in the middle, they are rockered but less wide, so their powder trait would be less preeminent. DLPs are considered one of the best boards for carving. KTPs are a bit wider and shorter, and probably the shortest kind of "do it all" board

Don't know if you have any preferences regarding the length, compared to the snowblades you had in the past, but these models cover 101cm to 110cm, so you should be able to find something of your liking.
      Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
      Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
      Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Thanks guys, and thanks for the welcome.

For bindings I’m not sure. I suppose release bindings would be best, but I’m concerned with them flying off. However I’m also not sure none-release bindings would be a good idea, possibly some problems on the slopes here as they wouldn’t be familiar with them.

So we’ve got:
        • SII (More snowblade feel)
        • DLP / ALP (Carving)
        • KTP (Short all-rounder)
        • Revolt
        • Playmaker (Powder)
        • Spliff (Powder)
        I’m not necessarily looking for a modern snowblade, I like speed, quite aggressive rider I suppose, manoeuvrability. There is no powder here, at least at the times we plan on going. Basically just looking for fun factor for the few weeks of a year I’ll go. So now leaning towards SII / DLP / Revolt. Not sure on length as not enough experience to tell much of a difference, I think I’m trying to avoid a board geared towards parks when all I’ve got here is slopes, but I’m also pretty sure I’ll love whichever board I get!

Comment

Sounds like the choice with less potential concerns would be to get Spruce risers with releasable, for sure they won't raise any issues in your resort. On these you would be able to use wide ski bindings brakes (115mm brakes are quite common and easy to find) so they won't be more inclined to fly than any pair of ski. If you're still concerned, you just add a pair of leashes, which is the solution for both non-release and wide boards that cannot take ski brakes.

Choosing from your short list of 3 is probably more a matter of taste. SII should have a slightly wider spectrum being rocker + camber and narrower, while DLPs are slightly wider and slightly longer, giving maybe a slightly easier "cruise" on groomers. Like you said, all the RVL8 boards are great, we're sort of "dissecting" here the different boards
          Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
          Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
          Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Yes I'm glad the experienced people here understand how difficult it is for anyone new to pick between these boards. The differences are so subtle, and so many seem to be marketed as "The one board you need"... It's really confusing, but as far as I can tell they are all basically the same with some geared more towards certain aspects / conditions; and then variation on ability when considering height / weight of a rider. At least that's my understanding coming into this, I hope one day these can be categorised similar to something like snowboards to make it easier . Very grateful this forum exists though!

So can I understand it like this:

DLP - Longer boards so more stable at speed, better for carving.
            Revolt - All mountain mid-range boards, good versatility.
            SII - Great 'beginner' set-up, narrower boards so easier to control, good versatility.

So now I think it's probably best to understand these differences when looking at the flex profiles. As I do have dicky knees, could anyone tell me which of these is going to be softer / more gentle?

Comment

That's the magical thing with the RVL8 boards, as you've noticed they are so versatile, that most of them can really be used in almost any condition, that's why you'll also see a lot of variation in what people here consider their favourite/ "best" board, which is not the same over all ages, heights & weights, skill levels, etc. I don't know how snowboards are classified, but I think skiboards have a larger performance / versatility spectrum, for instance the SII, despite being easy to start on, it doesn't mean they are "beginner" material, that one would overgrow once they become "advanced". On the contrary, if you browse the reviews, you'll find very experienced people who swear by the SII and it's their "go-to" or only board.

Comment

Thank you. I think if there's a softer board someone could recommend I'll go for that, otherwise just pick based on graphics .

I've been trying to visualise the differences and collecting some data to make this easier for myself, I may share it at some point if it could help others.

Comment

Originally posted by Mon39 View Post
                  Thank you. I think if there's a softer board someone could recommend I'll go for that, otherwise just pick based on graphics .

I've been trying to visualise the differences and collecting some data to make this easier for myself, I may share it at some point if it could help others.
                  If you are looking for softer with still the skiboard feel, you may want to look at the Spruce Crossbow. They are great. However as a new rider, do NOT overlook the Sticky. It is probably one of the most underrated boards in the RVL8 line up. I say underrated because there are no videos of anyone jumping, grinding, etc. with them, however 95% of us have them. They have a great soft feel when you want a soft feel, however when needing the harder carving feel, they do not let you down. I would highly recommend starting there.
                  Skis/Skiboards:
                  2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
                  2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
                  2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
                  2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
                  20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
                  2012 Salomon SPK 90
                  2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
                  2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Please do, I'm sure many of us go though similar thought processes when choosing a first/new/next board

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post

If you are looking for softer with still the skiboard feel, you may want to look at the Spruce Crossbow. They are great. However as a new rider, do NOT overlook the Sticky. It is probably one of the most underrated boards in the RVL8 line up. I say underrated because there are no videos of anyone jumping, grinding, etc. with them, however 95% of us have them. They have a great soft feel when you want a soft feel, however when needing the harder carving feel, they do not let you down. I would highly recommend starting there.
                      Yes a few people are recommending SII and they do appear the perfect first pair, my only concern was the thinness of them, I thought the Spliffs may be something a bit different and fun, or the Revolts would be a good mid-ground. Also I can only get REVEL8 or Summit here, I've noticed a lot of people here rocking Spruce boards but the cost of shipping would be too high to justify!

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post
                      Please do, I'm sure many of us go though similar thought processes when choosing a first/new/next board
                      I will, give me some time and I'll work on something on the side. I'm slowly getting my head around the nuances of it all and want to try compile something together from across the few sources that there are.

Comment

Okay guys I'm pretty sold on the SII's as being a great and versitile board to get. So will get a pair with Spruce risers and the Attack 13 bindings.

Now I have a couple more questions if people don't mind. Should I get a tune-up on a new pair? I wouldn't be confident of getting something like that done locally, just not sure if it's recommended on a new pair. Lastly, is there any recommended boots or features to look for with them?

Thanks.

Comment

Okay guys I'm pretty sold on the SII's as being a great and versitile board to get. So will get a pair with Spruce risers and the Attack 13 bindings.

Now I have a couple more questions if people don't mind. Should I get a tune-up on a new pair? I wouldn't be confident of getting something like that done locally, just not sure if it's recommended on a new pair. Lastly, is there any recommended boots or features to look for with them?

Thanks.
                          If you are ordering them directly from here, they will come ready to roll. Make sure to provide your boot size so they can be set but as far as the boards they come sharpened, waxed, etc. SBOL is top notch
                          Skis/Skiboards:
                          2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
                          2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
                          2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
                          2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
                          20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
                          2012 Salomon SPK 90
                          2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
                          2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post

If you are ordering them directly from here, they will come ready to roll. Make sure to provide your boot size so they can be set but as far as the boards they come sharpened, waxed, etc. SBOL is top notch
                            I’ll be buying them from the Japanese supplier as the shipping from US to China is a little steep. So I should make sure they are sharpened and waxed if they don’t come from the source like that?

Gotta get this expense past the wife you see, so need to make sure it’s all necessary

Comment

I should make sure they are sharpened and waxed if they don’t come from the source like that?
                              Certainly there's no sharpening needed. Expect to need to wax them, because any pair might spend an unknown amount of time in storage, so fresh wax would be beneficial. You can use some roll on wax if you want - different brands have such - it's the easiest and cheapest way, but it lasts less than a hot wax. For a new pair, I would give them a proper hot waxing, but again, it's easy to do it by yourself, iron, wax, scrapper, brush, these are easy to find and not too expensive. And they will arrive in smaller, more inconspicuous, less intriguing packages there are threads and YouTube videos that demonstrate this, cleaning up afterwards it's the only unpleasant part

Comment

Working...
                              X