Risers in Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risers in Europe?

Does anyone have a good suggestion for getting risers in Europe? I have only heard of two (Spruce Riser and Twoowt Hook), neither of which I can find in Europe. Skiboards.eu used to make one, but not anymore.

If possible, I am particularly interested in a riser that can take a frame AT binding like the Tyrolia Ambition, or something that does a similar job.
    ​​​​​
    ​​​​
    My stuff
    Eman Uprise 104 cm (the last ones ever produced, 2021)
    Tyrolia Attack bindings (mounted directly to factory-installed inserts)

Retired:
    RPX 180 Crazy Crew 90 cm with drilled cheapo release bindings that eventually ripped out of the foam core. Ever heard of these? Me neither...

There seem to be some Twoowt Hook in stock right now ( http://www.skiboardershop.ru/twoowt-hook-blue/ ) but I have no idea if the website is up to date, you better write/call them first. Other than that, check regularly the Buy&Sell section here, ebay.com (seen as if you're in the US) and kijiji.ca. Many times listings don't include international shipping, but people are usually kind enough to do it if you ask, it's still just a trip to the post office for them, regardless of the destination. Twoowt would be the quicker option if they are in stock, the others are rather wait and see...
    Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
    Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
    Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Thanks for all the tips! I guess I should have said "EU" rather than "Europe". If I can find a seller in the EU, it will be within the common market = no import fees. But I'll keep my eyes out as you suggest, thanks again!
      My stuff

Retired:
      RPX 180 Crazy Crew 90 cm with drilled cheapo release bindings that eventually ripped out of the foam core. Ever heard of these? Me neither...

Comment

Originally posted by Deddly View Post
        Thanks for all the tips! I guess I should have said "EU" rather than "Europe". If I can find a seller in the EU, it will be within the common market = no import fees. But I'll keep my eyes out as you suggest, thanks again!
        I'm in the same boat as you (living in France), but as you've discovered yourself, our EU options are limited to skiboards.eu, so we have to get creative for better deals, which is what I've done going the forum and eBay roads Regarding the imports, you'll have to check what are the taxes and fees for stuff coming from Russia vs US, here I got about 40% on top of a pair of twoowt boards, which was higher than expected. Buying used from forum members was the most economical option in my experience, and things shows up from time to time coming from Europe & UK, or you could rather post yourself a WTB request, you never know...
        Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
        Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
        Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Thanks again!

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post

you'll have to check what are the taxes and fees for stuff coming from Russia vs US, here I got about 40% on top of a pair of twoowt boards
          I assume you either speak Russian or you used Google Translate to buy your Twoowt gear? From skiboardershop.ru (I can't find an international version of their website)? Was shipping expensive? I can't find anything on their site that indicates that they sell abroad, but you obviously found a way
          My stuff

Retired:

Comment

Indeed, Google Translate was my best friend I actually ordered from http://skixbike.ru/en/product/skiing.html, they have a few Twoowt boards models, but they don't sell raisers. I know that other forum members ordered from the first one I've told you about and they had no problems. Shipping took a few weeks but was not expensive, below 30 EUR for a pair of boards.

Comment

Does anyone have a good suggestion for getting risers in Europe? I have only heard of two (Spruce Riser and Twoowt Hook), neither of which I can find in Europe. Skiboards.eu used to make one, but not anymore.

If possible, I am particularly interested in a riser that can take a frame AT binding like the Tyrolia Ambition, or something that does a similar job.
              ​​​​​
              ​​​​
              Spruce Risers will work on 4x4 and 4x10 insert skiboards. RVL8 and Spruce skiboards, for example.
              The Twoowt Hook system appears to be 4x4 only so incompatible with Spruce skiboards, such as the Crossbows and Sherpas.
              Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
              Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
              Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post

Spruce Risers will work on 4x4 and 4x10 insert skiboards. RVL8 and Spruce skiboards, for example.
                The Twoowt Hook system appears to be 4x4 only so incompatible with Spruce skiboards, such as the Crossbows and Sherpas.
                That's funny, I've looked many times at those Hook and never noticed they lack the 4x10 holes. Well, it's not that big of a problem actually, one could just drill 4 extra holes in it, based on the pattern of the matching holes in the Spruce skiboards.

Comment

Can anyone make sense of these descriptions from Mantrax? Seems they have one or two different risers?

http://www.skiboard.cz/katalog/vazani

My stuff

Retired:

Comment

Can anyone make sense of these descriptions from Mantrax? Seems they have one or two different risers?

http://www.skiboard.cz/katalog/vazani
                    the 9mm one lifts the binding 9mm without changing its footprint.

the 30mm one (http://www.skiboard.cz/katalog/bezpecnostni-vazani/201) will allow you to mount to the 4x4 pattern.
                    - Alpina Fatboards with 8-hole bindings (retired as shot-skis)
                    - 2003 Line Pro with FF-pro (on loan to friend)
                    - 2010 KTP Revel8 Receptors with 2012 Orange Receptors
                    - 2012 Rockered Condors with 2010 Black Receptors
                    - 2014 DLP with 2021 Blue Receptors

Comment

Originally posted by h2opete987 View Post
                      the 30mm one (http://www.skiboard.cz/katalog/bezpecnostni-vazani/201) will allow you to mount to the 4x4 pattern.
                      OK, that is good news! So this means that something a little like the Spruce riser is indeed available in Europe. Is there any way we can work out which bindings it is compatible with? It looks like it has very few holes. Does that mean you are meant to drill your own? I wonder how long they are and whether Tyrolia Ambition bindings would work on them? Click image for larger version

Name:	MANTRAX_30mm.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	263983
                      My stuff

Retired:

Comment

It looks like it has very few holes. Does that mean you are meant to drill your own? I wonder how long they are and whether Tyrolia Ambition bindings would work on them?
                        A visual comparison ( based on the 4x4 pattern ) with the Twoowt Hook make me think they are about the same length ( maybe +/- few mm ), they are slightly thicker at 30mm vs 24mm of Spruce Risers , but I think you're right, extra holes are probably supposed to be drilled depending on bindings. They sell a package which include Tyrolia Peak 11 with Powerplates ( http://www.skiboard.cz/katalog/bezpecnostni-vazani/200 ), which should be an indication regarding their length. Looks like those Power Plates are for a boot sole length of 258-372mm ( https://www.skionline.eu/ski-equipme...te-9,1241.html ), while the Ambition 10 are "Designed to fit boot soles from 260mm-350mm" ( https://www.backcountryfreeskier.com...-ski-bindings/). Double check by yourself, as this is pulled off the net, but it looks like they would fit.

Comment

That's some impressive detective work! I think the Ambition bindings are longer than regular downhill bindings for any given boot size, though, since they have the extra mechanism at the back:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyrolia-Ambition-12-Binding-2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	263993
                          My stuff

Retired:

Comment

That's some impressive detective work! I think the Ambition bindings are longer than regular downhill bindings for any given boot size, though, since they have the extra mechanism at the back:
                            Wow, those are extensively long indeed ! Have you read the stickies in the Backcountry section of the forum ? https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...ry-skiboarding There are some DIY solutions that members have came up with over time, maybe something would work for you as well

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post
                              Wow, those are extensively long indeed ! Have you read the stickies in the Backcountry section of the forum ? https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...ry-skiboarding There are some DIY solutions that members have came up with over time, maybe something would work for you as well
                              Yeah I think that's why Spruce have designed a riser just for this binding, but it's special order only and quite pricey. I've been doing a lot of reading in that section but haven't seen it all. Unfortunately for me, it seems most of the solutions involve non-release bindings, and that's just not an option as far as I'm concerned. Since I've already ordered my skiboards and bindings, I think the Daymakers would be a good compromise, and surprise surprise, they are actually sold in Scandinavia too. I did find some people elsewhere online who tried making their own based on the same idea using some wood, a hinge and a telemark binding. Maybe something for me to give a go until I can save up for a proper setup - I'm not going to be taking it anywhere truly out in the wild.
                              My stuff

Retired:

Comment

Working...
                              X