New Softboot Bindings for Skiboards, with a "Twist"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Softboot Bindings for Skiboards, with a "Twist"

Years ago it started with a test and a conversation with jjue and now years later I'm excited to bring a very high quality snowboard binding to market with locally produced risers and wings that can be swapped between 4x4 skiboards in seconds with just your fingers. Thanks Jack!

Click image for larger version  Name:	sbol-head-bindings.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.5 KB ID:	263902

Attached Files
    Last edited by Greco; 09-22-2021, 12:46 AM.

I have a set of Flow 11 snowboard bindings. They only have two straps. But, they do have a really wide metatarsal cover. The mounting disc is 110mm diameter. The heel cup does not appear to be metal.

I have a set of Van's 'Contra' boots that have a single BOA system.

Those are both really good quality items. I'd love to try these on skiboards.

But I have to admit though, I get analysis paralysis trying to figure out what I need to make that happen.

I'd love to be able to use these snowboard boots with an AT setup and climbing skins. Not sure if that's even possible.

I'm certainly open to specific recommendations to help sort this out.

Comment

I ordered these.....it took me a week to get Greco to take my money. I was looking last year at snowboards, and this tipped the scales for a snowboard, boots, and bindings. When I get them mounted to my sticky ickies I will send pics. I still don't know what boa boots and snowboard I am getting. Christmas is coming early for the Wagner household.

Comment

Thanks Jen. Sorry it took so long to take your money I just wanted to make sure we worked out the details first and you got the ones you wanted.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
          I have a set of Flow 11 snowboard bindings. They only have two straps. But, they do have a really wide metatarsal cover. The mounting disc is 110mm diameter. The heel cup does not appear to be metal.

But I have to admit though, I get analysis paralysis trying to figure out what I need to make that happen.

I'd love to be able to use these snowboard boots with an AT setup and climbing skins. Not sure if that's even possible.

You just need this kit which add the 3rd strap and riser https://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl8softbootkit.html

Comment

This thread got me wondering about splitboard bindings and whether that would be an option for skiboards... (and if Head's Speeddisc system has such an option). First glance says no, but I didn't go very far down that rabbit hole.

BOARDSLAYER
            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

What are split board bindings like? The speed disc system doesn't have any other options as far as I know.

Comment

My next question I'm sure is a Chevy vs Ford thing. But, are soft boot setups better used on any particular skiboard or skiboard feature such as length or rocker? Is shorter better for safety? Can they drive a set of Sherpas?

Comment

Like Greco says you need the missouri riser and wings and a third strap for the highback to make the Flow binding work for skiboards. You could use snowboard boots in a frame AT binding ( or step in release bindings) by buying an external frame system for the snowboard boots . such as Envy or Mad Jacks. The combined weight though of snowboard boots and binding frame is heavier then many standard skiboots.
                  https://www.envysnowsports.com/
                  https://www.madjacksnowsports.com/
                  Boards :
                  Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                  Boots
                  K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                  Bindings:
                  Zero Pro Non release Binding
                  Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                  Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                  Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                  Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

My next question I'm sure is a Chevy vs Ford thing. But, are soft boot setups better used on any particular skiboard or skiboard feature such as length or rocker? Is shorter better for safety? Can they drive a set of Sherpas?
                    Softboot skiboard bindings are non release and for safety reasons I would recommend that they be used on 110 or below skiboards . By the way they all need a 4 x4 insert set up which SBOL restricts to 110 and below boards although Skiboards.com does sell up to 125 skiboards with 4 x4 inserts. If you look at the Envy and Madjack skiframe set ups I linked in my response above , these are very similar to the Softboot skiboard bindings but put on top a riser that can snap in to release bindings. If you want to use snowboard boots on over 110 skiboards it would probably be safer to use a release bindings with one of these frames. I tried that but found that the control on the over 110 skiboards was not good enough for me and I abandoned the idea .
                    Boards :
                    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                    Boots
                    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                    Bindings:
                    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post

This thread got me wondering about splitboard bindings and whether that would be an option for skiboards... (and if Head's Speeddisc system has such an option). First glance says no, but I didn't go very far down that rabbit hole.
                      Splitboard bindings are touring bindings that are designed to be used with Snowboards that are split in two to create two touring skis and then the skis are put back together to descend on a standard unibody snowboard. The spiltboard bindings are designed to be used with special hinges and pucks that are attached to the splitboard snowboard. The touring binding is a simple hinge on the front of the binding . This is used for going uphill only and not downhill. . The binding is then removed from the hinge and put on to special pucks that that allow the binding to be placed across the two sides of the splitboard and descend as a standard snowboard binding . These bindings are not compatible with the soft boot skiboard bindings on the market including the new Head disc version that Greco sells now .
                      I toyed with the idea of drilling a missouri riser or trying to create my own riser and trying to get a splitboard binding to work but abandoned the idea .
                      Boards :
                      Boots
                      Bindings:

Comment

Greco , nice new softboot binding line up . I especially like the idea of offering different sized bindings for folks with smaller boot sizes ! Also if you have two pair of skiboards you alternate between , it would be really cool to buy a second riser speed disc setup for your other board and just swap bindings with no tools in seconds.!
                        Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post

Like Greco says you need the missouri riser and wings and a third strap for the highback to make the Flow binding work for skiboards. You could use snowboard boots in a frame AT binding ( or step in release bindings) by buying an external frame system for the snowboard boots . such as Envy or Mad Jacks. The combined weight though of snowboard boots and binding frame is heavier then many standard skiboots.
                          https://www.envysnowsports.com/
                          https://www.madjacksnowsports.com/

Would a envy or madjack frame work with an AT binding like the Marker F12 or some other tour binding?
                          https://www.evo.com/shop/ski/bindings/alpine-touring

Comment

Would a envy or madjack frame work with an AT binding like the Marker F12 or some other tour binding?
                            https://www.evo.com/shop/ski/bindings/alpine-touring
                            Yes, the Madjack or Envy frames will work with the Marker F12 or similar AT frame type binding that has a standard step in alpine binding on a bar that works with regular downhill ski boots .

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
                            Boots
                            Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                              Yes, the Madjack or Envy frames will work with the Marker F12 or similar AT frame type binding that has a standard step in alpine binding on a bar that works with regular downhill ski boots .

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
                              I assume that setup (because of the releasable bindings) could be setup on Sherpas. Would you still use a riser with AT binding?

Comment

Working...
                              X