Receptor Performance and Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receptor Performance and Position

With the new 4x4+2* binding mount pattern available now, I figured it was worth asking what effect boot position on a Receptor makes to performance, and maybe to the health of the binding.

I've been riding my Receptors asymmetrically for a few years to get the maximum possible setback... in other words, use the front mounting holes first, then set the heel piece all the way to the back of the binding before mounting the toe piece to fit my boot. I've never seen a big issue with it, but do tend to gradually bend the base plates on my Receptors. I'll have to look at a set of plates to see where the bend happens relative to the rest of the binding... It might create greater leverage on the rear half of the binding, and seem to remember that I bend plates forward from the back.

Aside from potentially damaging the binding, is it likely that Receptors perform better with the boot centered on the plate? I can't quite get my head around whether this would make a difference in a non-releasable binding.

I'm drooling over the new Playmakers and would guess that by using the rear set of 4x4 holes, there would be a lot less need for binding-based setback.

On a related note, any performance hints relative to the two mounting positions from prototype testing on the Playmaker, or the other boards with this pattern? I would imagine it would make a difference to the way a cambered board flexes, but not so sure how it would affect the ride on a full rocker, other than the usual setback effects of floatier tips and somewhat sketchier tails.

*did the math - can I call it the 18? The RVL18?
    Push the Possible

I haven't noticed any performance difference in receptors riding centered or rear set. I did bend first pair of original receptors that were thinner metal but not later version which a thicker. Ps I really don't notice any performance difference in the slightly bent receptors and still use it.
    I think the important thing with rockered boards is having enough stiffness out back to support riding the tails which should be fine in the playmaker. Other than that I have found center mount better for carving and 4 cm back better for powder. Depending on board I decide to compromise and usually leave board centered or rear mount to best ride all conditions.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.... agree that a slightly bent plate doesn't seem to be a big deal - my current set aren't too bad and still feel fine to ride, but I'll probably ask Greco to sell me a spare set of plates with my next order, for backup. I heavily bent a set a couple of seasons ago, but I also broke the core of the DLPs that set was mounted on... there were some forces involved for sure. I remember dropping some nice-sized cliffs at Red on that pair, and riding way back on the tails in the slush. They're aluminum, so some gradual fatigue is to be expected. I don't suppose there would be much demand for a nice $5000 a pair titanium version.

If I get some Playmakers that'll push my Spliffs to the centre of my quiver, and I suppose I'll keep a set of Receptors set up on centre (Playmakers) and one set back (Spliffs ride nice like that). I might try both on the DLPs depending on the conditions. I still have a hard go on my DLPs in any sort of powder and end up riding the tails hard, but who knows? They might ride better centred. Even on the hard pack days there's usually some powder lurking about at the Horse, but there's something about chopping down icy chutes on DLPs that I like every so often.
      Push the Possible

Comment

Working...
      X