Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to buy 3rd pair of Skiboards - need some input

Hey guys.
    Happy to write here again, missed looking to buy stuff.
    I'll try to keep it as tl:dr as possible:
    .Pretty heavy guy, 110kgs, hope to lose some before winter.
    .80% groomers - 20% off piste. While on piste, we look for kickers and drops, try some 180s, small jumps, beginner stuff. Still not hit the park yet.
    .First pair were KTPs, love them, amazing for 80% of what I do, meh to press on them, pretty stiff, hard to land on, horrible on powder (as expected).
    .Second pair were Twoowt Deep. Super nice in powder, very flexible and bouncy, meh to horrible to carve on them, especially on hard groomers or ice, feels "too long" compared to KTPs.

While I love the KTPs and their versatility, I'm kinda stranded if we decide to take it off piste, I was looking for something in between worlds. Deep was on sale, and tbh it's pretty flexible and can ride well in powder. The main gripe is the carve, it's super bad compared to KTP. Judging by the size, the Deep is like the RC Condor.

So I'm down to 2 boards: Spliff or Blunt XL. (I don't like the Sticky)
    Spliff - pros: almost same size as KTP (bar length), almost same camber, rocker for powder. cons: what if I don't like the length like I don't on Deep?
    Blunt XL - pros: perfect length, a tad wider than KTP (for a tad wider guy), good rocker. cons: no camber, might have the same issue as Deep, although the difference between tips and center is 2.2cm, maybe it won't be that bad?

I'm torn between them. I'm leaning towards Blunt more because it's smaller. I actually felt the 10cm of the Deep as opposed to KTP. But if I try to break or turn and I don't do it, I'm gonna be pissed again. On the other hand, I might get used to extra length, but I won't get used to not breaking when I want to.

Thanks for the help.

Twoowt Deep
    RVL8

Spliffs
    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
      Spliffs
      +1

I've been having similar reflections as you for a while now, considering the same boards, having the same goal - something that can still carve reasonably but that could do well on the occasional powder. I got the XLs thinking they would be that board, but it's only partially true. On groomers they don't carve that easily, in itself it's not a problem, on good snow the slarving is very controlled and pleasant, I did not miss much the lack of carving. But on solid hardpack this is less enjoyable, manageable but less fun.

The Spliffs seem to be the most "middle ground" ones, judging by others people feedback in the forum you won't have problems carving on them, they handle occasional powder very well, while you'll have the Deep for big powder days. There's a thread by Steeps where he posted videos of what the Spliffs can do both on groomers and powder, check those out and see for yourself. Spliffs are slightly shorter and narrower than the Deep, and the length underfoot is actually shorter than the KTPs, so I would think they would suit you.
      Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
      Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
      Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Thank you both for the replies.
        I'll stick with the Spliffs then. Excited for winter.

Comment

Don't the newer Spliffs have extra inserts for setting back the bindings? Or am I mistaken?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

171cm/190lbs
          Current Favorites:
          RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
          Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
          Other boards I'm trying:
          Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Another recommendation for the Spliffs.

They are pure gold in powder, trees, soft-ish groomers and spring conditions. I especially like them for inconsistent snow and trashed out powder, as the rocker makes them ride over everything. VERY forgiving and can be ridden pretty loosely without getting into trouble. I don't find the length to be an issue; I'm tall but light (~75 kg). The stability is worth it. In steep powder you can tail-surf them effortlessly.

On hardpack/ice they can be tough to get a firm edge in with, due to the width, but they do slarve well so it's not a big issue on groomers. Love to carve deep on them if it's soft enough to get an edge in, and they're very stable at speed. Need to post some year-end speed runs soon!

I ride DLPs when it gets hard and nasty on the double blacks, but Spliffs for everything else.

Thread here, with some groomer video on pg 3:
            https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...he-horse/page3
            BOARDSLAYER
            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
              Don't the newer Spliffs have extra inserts for setting back the bindings? Or am I mistaken?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
              You are not mistaken. They have extra inserts for setting back the Spruce risers.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just a few additional observations to add to what everyone else has said. The major issue like Steeps says with the Spliff in icy snow is the width which is why the DLP which is narrower does better. However, since you are very happy with the width of the KTP in that kind of snow , I will think you will pilot the Spliff with no issue . The Spliff's camber and firm torsional rigidity really allows you to get an edge and carve in firm snow especially for us guys who are heavier . I also like how the small amount of rocker helps to make the carve in firm snow nice and smooth and more enjoyable to me then wide bodied boards without rocker like the KTP or regular Condors. The Spliffs are not a deeply rockered board like the Rockered Condors and with the camber I do find that I need to get as much setback as I can on the Spliff in softer snow to make best use of the rocker. If I am using non release bindings , I push the bindings back as far as I can to get some set back . For my size boot that is about 2cm on the Receptor bindings. If you are using release bindings on a Spruce riser you can get a 3cm set back by using the rear inserts .(The rear inserts are designed to be used only with the Spruce riser and not with the Receptors or other 4x4 non release bindings. ) The Blunt Xl rides well center mount in all conditions but does have the option of setting back all kinds of bindings 4cm in really deep snow. It does work better in firm snow then the pure deep pow Rockered Condor as the rocker is not as extreme but you do have to slarve more then the Spliff when the snow gets firm . The Blunt feels most like the KTP in size and shape when you get on it but very different ride characteristics. I also tend to think you will get used to the Spliff dimensions once you ride it more .
                Boards :
                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                Boots
                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                Bindings:
                Zero Pro Non release Binding
                Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

jjue
                  Steeps

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply and to everyone for that matter. Spliffs it is then.

Greco
                  I see on the website that 2021 Spliffs are available in Dec 2021. Skiboards.eu has them and the Sticky in stock now. I asked them if it's a mistake, but I didn't get any reply. Could it be it was available this winter also and you're out of stock for the summer, while the EU shop still has stock? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsstefan View Post
                    Skiboards.eu has them and the Sticky in stock now. I asked them if it's a mistake, but I didn't get any reply. Could it be it was available this winter also and you're out of stock for the summer, while the EU shop still has stock? Thanks.
                    Western Europe had a strange season, from nothing to more or less a normal one in some parts, that would explain why they might still actually be in stock there. But I would try reach them on the phone (if they don't reply by email) before ordering.

Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
                    Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
                    Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Originally posted by Lsstefan View Post
                      jjue
                      Steeps

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply and to everyone for that matter. Spliffs it is then.

Greco
                      I see on the website that 2021 Spliffs are available in Dec 2021. Skiboards.eu has them and the Sticky in stock now. I asked them if it's a mistake, but I didn't get any reply. Could it be it was available this winter also and you're out of stock for the summer, while the EU shop still has stock? Thanks.
                      Yes, the 2021 model was released last December so they still might have some. SBOL will be getting more this December.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X