No announcement yet.

Lookng for a true all-mountain skiboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I will be keeping all options open until actually getting something.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the BluntXL for someone like me? (100 kg / 220 lb, don't want to sink in the soft stuff, I like a shorter board, want to have good control all over the mountain, including good grip in icy steep runs).
    ​​​​​​
    My stuff
    Eman Uprise 104 cm (the last ones ever produced, 2021)
    Tyrolia Attack bindings (mounted directly to factory-installed inserts)

Retired:
    RPX 180 Crazy Crew 90 cm with drilled cheapo release bindings that eventually ripped out of the foam core. Ever heard of these? Me neither...

Comment

Originally posted by Deddly View Post

Does anyone have any thoughts on the BluntXL for someone like me? (100 kg / 220 lb, don't want to sink in the soft stuff, I like a shorter board, want to have good control all over the mountain, including good grip in icy steep runs).
      I'm below 70kg for 178cm, so my experience will not match yours, but until someone your size chips in, here's my take on the XLs after about 10+ days of usage: they are excellent in soft snow, very nimble and they skate almost by themselves. Grip was not that great on hard/icy snow, it's more of a controlled slarve. In some 30cm of fresh powder I was struggling riding center mount (haven't tried them yet setback), but this was due to my lack of powder skills, you'll find on the forum and on Youtube videos of forum members going through massive powder on the XLs, trees and everything, probably steeper than what you'll be experiencing on your local hill. Something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw594vljFs ( Courtney is an inspiration when it comes to XLs in powder )
      Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
      Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
      Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

​​​​​​
        The Blunt XLs are great in powder, but unless you're a more experienced rider (or have very good balance) I wouldn't recommend them for hard pack and definitely not ice. It can be done, but it's not ideal. For icy in particular you'll want to at least have a rocker/camber combo, not a full rocker. A lot of people like the Sticky Icky Icky for their ability on ice and ability to tackle some reasonable powder. These are typically what I recommend for friends who want something that can go pretty much anywhere. They won't float quite as much as the XLs in the deep stuff, but give you a better combo for all around riding.

Comment

Well, thank you so much for all the good advice, everyone. Although I am aware they don't meet all of my ideal requirements, I went with the Eman Uprise, the primary reasons being:
          • Available in Europe
          • Comes with release bindings pre-installed in proper inserts with no need to source a riser
          • Very affordable compared with the other options available over here.
          When it comes to backcountry, I'll try and save up for a set of daymakers. Until then, maybe I can hack together something homemade.
          My stuff

Retired:
          RPX 180 Crazy Crew 90 cm with drilled cheapo release bindings that eventually ripped out of the foam core. Ever heard of these? Me neither...

Comment

The owner of the shop just got back to me and told me that they only have one pair and they have a little rust on the edges. He sent some pictures - what do you guys think? I can get a small discount but do they look damaged or are they OK?

Sadly, he also says these are the last pair ever because they will not make any more.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20211020_115932.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.6 KB ID:	264001Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20211020_121850.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.8 KB ID:	264002Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20211020_120213.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.3 KB ID:	264003Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20211020_120156.jpg Views:	0 Size:	320.7 KB ID:	264004
            My stuff

Retired:

Comment

The owner of the shop just got back to me and told me that they only have one pair and they have a little rust on the edges. He sent some pictures - what do you guys think? I can get a small discount but do they look damaged or are they OK?
              That's nothing to worry about, these small specks of rust can be easily cleaned up, by the looks of it is just a bit at the surface, so no worries. After some days of skiing you'll see the top sheets getting some bigger cosmetic blemishes, but again, usualy it's not a problem. Even the bases can/will get scratches - if it's significant it's still an easy repair with p-tex, so don't worry too much, skiboards are tougher than it might seem. But take any discount you can, it's not something to frown upon
              Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
              Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
              Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Thanks, newbie2011! I expected it would be OK, but I wanted a second opinion to be sure. I have confirmed my order, so hopefully I will soon be the owner of the last ever Eman Uprise boards.
                My stuff

Retired:

Comment

Thanks, newbie2011! I expected it would be OK, but I wanted a second opinion to be sure. I have confirmed my order, so hopefully I will soon be the owner of the last ever Eman Uprise boards.
                  You're welcome Deddly ! Congrats on the boards, especially when they turn out to be such a rare find

Comment

like the Tyrolia Ambition that you recommend (what's the difference between the 10 and the 12, by the way?).
                    Sorry I missed a lot of this conversation. The difference between the 10 and 12 is the Din Range. 12 can be bumped up higher. I actually ended up changing my order to the Salomon Shift bindings, but I don't feel the Ambitions would have been a mistake, I just wanted the latest hybrid tech.

I went with the Eman Uprise
                    I like the boards you ended up with! I rode Revolts for 5 years, so that does look like a good equivalent.

a set of daymakers. Until then, maybe I can hack together something homemade.
                    As for the daymakers, that's not a bad idea. Another way is snowshoes and carry your skiboards on your backpack.

And as for Summit boards being direct mounted with AT bindings, I've met 2 others recently that have done the same with the Invertigos. Here's all 3 sets of our boards, and notice it's all 3 different kinds of AT bindings (frame on left, tech in the middle, my hybrid shifts on the right). Hoping there's a lot more discussion on this topic this season. I'll start a thread after i get on it soon. By the way, Left and Right are both in CO, center is in the Pyrenees.

Hope you have a blast this season on those new boards. Sounds like you're skiing in some amazing places.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3979.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	602.4 KB
ID:	264236
                    Rigs as of 2021
                    - RVL8 Revolt Trees w/ Tyrolia Attack2 13 Demo
                    - Summit Invertigo's w/ Salomon Shift MNC 13 AT Bindings
                    with Dalbello Quantum Free 110

Comment

Good choice on the Eman Uprises. Similar to Rvl8 Revolts.
                      Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                      Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                      Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                        Good choice on the Eman Uprises. Similar to Rvl8 Revolts.
                        So the naming of the models isn't just a coincidence then... hadn't noticed that before.

BOARDSLAYER
                        Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                        Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
                          So the naming of the models isn't just a coincidence then... hadn't noticed that before.
                          Haha, haven't noticed either, indeed a real "homage" board

Comment

That's pretty funny. I hadn't considered that at all! It's a shame the uprise is over
                            My stuff

Retired:

Comment

Originally posted by mikeingram71 View Post

And as for Summit boards being direct mounted with AT bindings, I've met 2 others recently that have done the same with the Invertigos. Here's all 3 sets of our boards, and notice it's all 3 different kinds of AT bindings (frame on left, tech in the middle, my hybrid shifts on the right). Hoping there's a lot more discussion on this topic this season. I'll start a thread after i get on it soon. By the way, Left and Right are both in CO, center is in the Pyrenees.
                              The Fritschi Tecton is also considered a hybrid binding. Like the Shift is has a full heel piece, but it differs in the toe piece in that it still uses pins. The toe piece has some roller mechanism that allows it to release in a repeatable manner and to ISO standard.
                              Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                              Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                              Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
                              X