Lookng for a true all-mountain skiboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjue View Post

I think the Tyrolia Ambitions are great bindings , they pretty much allow you to have the same feel as riding with your regular tyrolia downhill bindings , yet allowing you to tour with a flip of a lever , very easy to use. I think for your use they are the best choice. The other advantage is they allow the use of regular downhill ski boots and do not require tech compatible AT boots.
    Thanks for the quick reply! Wish I could have tested a setup like this before purchasing, but what you said helps.

I went ahead and shaved weight in the boots by buying the Dalbello AT boots instead of using my Apex 5 lbs per foot soft boots, which would be awful to walk uphill in (in the Apex frames, in the bindings).

I just read some of your BC threads, appreciate all the info.

Rigs as of 2021
    - RVL8 Revolt Trees w/ Tyrolia Attack2 13 Demo
    - Summit Invertigo's w/ Salomon Shift MNC 13 AT Bindings
    with Dalbello Quantum Free 110

Comment

Originally posted by mikeingram71 View Post

Deddly, I'm interested to hear what you've come up with since March.

I am on a similar journey. The research I did revealed that the Salomon Guardians are prone to breakage where there's a joint in the middle of the rail under your foot. Too many people have experienced that, so I didn't go that route. I went with the Tyrolia Ambition 12 bindings that FLEX WITH THE SKI, and are lighter than most frame bindings (500g more (pair) than the Fritchi Scouts though).
      Hi! In spite of the great help I have received, I have unfortunately not got much further since March. I realise that your question relates to the bindings, but I have stalled on the boards. It seems to be almost impossible to get Skiboards in Europe, and the ones you can get from skiboards.eu are mostly Revl8 boards with the 4x4 inserts for non-release bindings, which I will not use, and they're pretty much all out of stock anyway. I am unable to find risers on their website. Summit don't have a European reseller, so the only option there would be to import them from the US, which would essentially double the price for me after import tax and fees.

Twoowt seems to be an interesting option, as suggested by Newbie2011 above. Their prices are good, and they have their own version of the riser called the Hook, but they don't seem to have a European reseller either, and the Hook itself seems to be more expensive than the boards themselves.

One option would be to try and import Twoowt 111 and Hook, assuming they do international shipping. But even without calculating the cost of shipping, that's pretty much as far as I can stretch my budget once I've added the import fees. Even then, I would still be lacking bindings, but I guess I could pull my existing ones off the old Snowblades-style ones I already have until I can afford something like the Tyrolia Ambition that you recommend (what's the difference between the 10 and the 12, by the way?).

Oh, and Twoowt are also out of stock.
      My stuff
      Eman Uprise 104 cm (the last ones ever produced, 2021)
      Tyrolia Attack bindings (mounted directly to factory-installed inserts)

Retired:
      RPX 180 Crazy Crew 90 cm with drilled cheapo release bindings that eventually ripped out of the foam core. Ever heard of these? Me neither...

Comment

OK so a little update. Skiboards.eu have what I think is an in-house brand called Eman. They have one model with Tyrolia Attack bindings already installed: https://skiboards.eu/en/skiboards/47...ards-2020.html

From what I hear, it's not a bad skiboard, and is very reasonably priced. Most interesting to me is that it is designed for release bindings, so I wrote to them to ask if it is possible to swap the bindings for Tyrolia Ambition instead, which would allow me the possibility of some limited touring, and the reply I got was:

"no it is not possible, every bindings have different screws and templates"

So my question is, what are Summit doing differently if they can be used with any bindings?
        My stuff

Retired:
        RPX 180 Crazy Crew 90 cm with drilled cheapo release bindings that eventually ripped out of the foam core. Ever heard of these? Me neither...

Comment

Originally posted by Deddly View Post
          So my question is, what are Summit doing differently if they can be used with any bindings?
          I remember reading here on the forum about safety issues with direct mount of bindings, so whoever does that I would guess just disregards the safety problems. Or they have an extensive fineprint disclaimer
          Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
          Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
          Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post

I remember reading here on the forum about safety issues with direct mount of bindings
            Really? Huh, this is a new one for me. The only thing I've read is that it negatively affects the flex of boards that are not designed for direct mounting, and that such boards don't hold the binding well. But Summit boards are supposed to be designed with direct mounting just like skis. The Eman Uprise is apparently designed for 4x4 mounts or just one specific direct-mounted binding. Why just that one I am unsure of as yet.
            My stuff

Retired:

Comment

Really? Huh, this is a new one for me. The only thing I've read is that it negatively affects the flex of boards that are not designed for direct mounting, and that such boards don't hold the binding well. But Summit boards are supposed to be designed with direct mounting just like skis. The Eman Uprise is apparently designed for 4x4 mounts or just one specific direct-mounted binding. Why just that one I am unsure of as yet.
              Summit puts a layer of aluminum in their boards which they claim allows them to direct mount release bindings. It does affect the flex profile, but that could be a positive or negative depending on your riding style. The Summit boards I’ve ridden tend to be much stiffer compared to other brands, but again, that may or may not suit your style.
              Just these, nothing else !

Comment

There's a thread where Greco and Jeff talk in detail about the design of RVL8 and Spruce boards https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...into-skiboards, where for instance they mention some requirements for a board in order to support direct mounting. My interpretation of it is that if those are not met, it might lead to problems beyond performance issues. But I have no idea about the design of Summit or Eman boards, so I don't judge them in any way. Greco and Jeff made the choice of not doing direct mounting and I'm convinced that they've put a lot of thinking and testing into it, I trust they wouldn't have gone their way just to do things differently. After all direct mounting is the easiest solution, why look for something else ? Them doing something differently is sort of proof that there are important drawbacks to the direct mount, which makes me skeptical about boards that use it...
                Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
                Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
                Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Thanks, newbie2011 - I'll have a read of that thread.
                  As for the Eman Uprise, I discovered that the reason they only work with that particular binding is because they have inserts pre-fitted in exactly the right places - you can see the extra holes on the pair to the right here, the ones with the non-release bindings:

Click image for larger version

Name:	75241045_3125091514184140_2129965949573398528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=973b4a&_nc_ohc=fP66rRz9ZtAAX_QcmwF&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-2.xx&oh=70d4dbbd0e2e71a8a71e6d7046453676&oe=61846FB5.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	896.5 KB
ID:	263962
                  My stuff

Retired:

Comment

As for the Eman Uprise, I discovered that the reason they only work with that particular binding is because they have inserts pre-fitted in exactly the right places - you can see the extra holes on the pair to the right here, the ones with the non-release bindings:
                    That's actually a bit of a strange choice of bindings, if you read the detailed description they are Tyrolia Attack "Demo" bindings, which are best for rentals because they can be easily adjusted - you can see the adjustment rails in a different picture - but they are heavier than the non-demo Tyrolia Attack, which I think I've read have some other performance advantages beside weight. So the Demo would make sense mainly if the boards are ridden often by different persons or they are intended as loaners to friends.

​​​​​

Comment

That's actually a bit of a strange choice of bindings, if you read the detailed description they are Tyrolia Attack "Demo" bindings, which are best for rentals because they can be easily adjusted - you can see the adjustment rails in a different picture - but they are heavier than the non-demo Tyrolia Attack, which I think I've read have some other performance advantages beside weight. So the Demo would make sense mainly if the boards are ridden often by different persons or they are intended as loaners to friends.

​​​​​
                      Perhaps the demo bindings are useful for varied conditions? Some users seem to prefer to have the bindings set back when riding powder or softer snow to keep the tips from digging in. But the same users prefer a central position when riding on the piste.
                      My stuff

Retired:

Comment

Perhaps the demo bindings are useful for varied conditions? Some users seem to prefer to have the bindings set back when riding powder or softer snow to keep the tips frol digging in. But the same users prefer a central position when riding on the piste.
                        That's a good point indeed, I'm not sure how much setback they would offer vs the usual extra mounting holes, but it would certainly help some. I think the Eman Uprise are very close in dimensions to the RVL8 Revolt 105cm, on the forum you'll find a lot of reviews of the Revolts, those could help you figure if the Uprise would be an interesting option for you. The Revolts are a very good all-around board, not really powder oriented, but it can work depending on rider's weight/height/skills, probably one of the best for getting into skiboards, you could add later another board for deep powder conditions.

Where are you going to ride ? I was looking into Northern resorts last year because of all the restrictions we had in France, the images are wonderful, so much snow lasting for so long. Would you be often in fresh powder conditions ?

Comment

Where are you going to ride ? I was looking into Northern resorts last year because of all the restrictions we had in France, the images are wonderful, so much snow lasting for so long. Would you be often in fresh powder conditions ?
                          I am not an experienced skier/skiboarder - just a few seasons. That means I don't really have a lot to compare with, but I'd say not that much FRESH powder, but plenty of untouched soft snow between the trees, and late season when the temperatures are above zero, the snow goes really soft and slushy and I sink right through it even on the piste. I'll be riding on small local hills and once a year usually take a trip to the slightly larger ones up in Vemdalen and hopefully in the future some of the other mountains in Scandinavia - Åre, Hemavan, Riksgränsen - I've never been to those but I hope to try all of them eventually. A trip to the Alps would be wonderful one day.

​​​​​​As previously mentioned, my other issue is not being able to get the edges to dig in properly, so even on a newly-pisted slope, it can sometimes be just one long 'slarve' all the way to the bottom - in control but not able to stop. Later in the day, icy patches make me suddenly slide out, forcing me to always ski with a wide stance, which isn't the best, as I understand it. As a cautious person by nature, that can take a lot of the joy out of the sport when that happens.

All in all, I think something like the Revolt will suit me just fine most of the time. As much as I think that the Invertigo is probably the best match for me, it's looking more and like the Uprise is a more realistic choice, especially if I can find a way to walk uphill with it.
                          My stuff

Retired:

Comment

I am not an experienced skier/skiboarder - just a few seasons. That means I don't really have a lot to compare with, but I'd say not that much FRESH powder, but plenty of untouched soft snow between the trees, and late season when the temperatures are above zero, the snow goes really soft and slushy and I sink right through it even on the piste. I'll be riding on small local hills and once a year usually take a trip to the slightly larger ones up in Vemdalen and hopefully in the future some of the other mountains in Scandinavia - Åre, Hemavan, Riksgränsen - I've never been to those but I hope to try all of them eventually. A trip to the Alps would be wonderful one day.

​​​​​​As previously mentioned, my other issue is not being able to get the edges to dig in properly, so even on a newly-pisted slope, it can sometimes be just one long 'slarve' all the way to the bottom - in control but not able to stop. Later in the day, icy patches make me suddenly slide out, forcing me to always ski with a wide stance, which isn't the best, as I understand it. As a cautious person by nature, that can take a lot of the joy out of the sport when that happens.

All in all, I think something like the Revolt will suit me just fine most of the time. As much as I think that the Invertigo is probably the best match for me, it's looking more and like the Uprise is a more realistic choice, especially if I can find a way to walk uphill with it.
                            Regarding the edging capabilities, it's probably related to what you're currently riding, all of the RVL/Spruce/Twoowt can dig trenches when put on the edge. Of course skills play a role as well, but those will improve faster than you imagine.

I would say there are a few perspectives that you could use to find your board(s) :
                            - skills perspective: pick something that it would make it easy and fast to learn on right now, plan to improve and to upgrade/add a different/second board in the future. I've learned on Revolts and they were excellent for this approach, but I was in the Alps and had lots of groomers available, so I was not even remotely thinking about any kind of powder at that point. Narrower boards would be better for carving and learning, but they might require getting a second, powder dedicated board in the future
                            - terrain perspective: it sounds like most of the time you'd be on some sort of soft, rather off-piste snow, which would require a wider board, with more float, and rocker if possible. The carving capabilities should still be reasonably high, because at least at first you'll spend some time on groomers as well. If you look at the specs table, I'd say some very good powder boards ( RCs, XLs, Osprey ) would be too much to start on, as they won't be as easy to carve on as other boards. This would lead more towards boards that have high ratings for both carving and powder - in descending length order: Sherpa (could also be a handful for starting on because of their length and width), Slingshot, Condors, DLP (longer Revolts), Spliff, Playmakers (new 2021 board)
                            - rider perspective: given your height & weight, shorter boards like KTPs and Revolts could be well suited to groomers, but might not float you that well in powder

I don't have personal experience with all of the boards I've mentioned, so judging by the ratings, if you want to lean towards groomers it could be DLPs or SPliffs, or if you want to lean towards powder, it would point to Condors or Playmakers. Not sure how easy it would be to start on longer boards ( around 120cm or more ), you'll have to look into reviews of Slingshots and Sherpas and figure out if it would work for you.

Comment

newbie2011, that certainly sounds like the course of wisdom. When I first started looking, I had never heard of 4x4, 4x10, risers and many other things. Having taken everything I have learned so far into consideration, I realise that my choice is going to have to be dictated by price as much as anything, because:
                              1. a Summit board plus bindings plus shipping plus import fees is too expensive for me at this point
                              2. a Spliff or any other Revl8 board can be bought in Europe, but add to that the cost of the bindings and an imported riser and all the fees associated with that, we are up at around the same price or maybe more.
                              3. Exactly the same issue with Twoowt.
                              So I either have to get my skiblades repaired and just keep going as I am (the bindings have loosened from the board, presumably because they are directly drilled, which I now know is not wise to do), or get the Eman Uprise, which is half the cost of any of the above options. If I get the Eman Uprise, I know it won't do everything I want, but it will at least be better than what I have in every way, and it will be a good introduction to true skiboarding on something similar to a Revolt but stiffer.

OR, I could get a pair of Hagan Off Limit 130, but that's much longer than I was hoping for, and they are really skis more than they are skiboards, as far as I can tell.

It's not easy when I know I have to limit myself to one choice for the foreseeable future!
                              ​​
                              My stuff

Retired:

Comment

It's not easy when I know I have to limit myself to one choice for the foreseeable future!
                                Keep in mind that it's quite early in the year and the season hasn't started yet - except maybe in Finland, I've seen Ruka is using snow from last winter to open some slopes any time soon - so there's not a lot of activity on the forum. But you'll be able to find many used options from forum member or off ebay. A forum member was selling recently Crossbows and risers and bindings for 300 EUR plus shipping ( https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...sers-in-europe ) which is quite a good deal. The previous summer I've accidentally seen some ended bids on eBay, some guy had sold like 5 pairs of boards and raisers, in like new state, each for very low prices ... I myself bought most of my gear used from forum members, so good deals can be found, but it takes some time.

Indeed the Eman Uprise sound like a good starting point and they are available right now. Versus Summit and Hagan I would still go the RVL8/Spruce/Twoowt way, because once you get a pair of risers, you'll be able to use them on any or as many boards you might get in the future.

Meanwhile I would still post a WTB on the forum, once winter comes people will be more active and some will sell stuff they don't use any longer. I myself I might sell some boards early next year, but I have to hit the snow first for some comparisons before deciding what to let go.

PS: for instance check this old ad, as there's no sign that they have been sold : https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...man-uprise-104
                                PS2: and some composite risers: https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...ental-bindings

Comment

Working...
                                X