Rear-entry boots making a comeback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear-entry boots making a comeback

For those of us who loved the REs and ease of getting in and out of boots, the easy adjustability etc. well, it seems that REs are making a comeback. Nordica just demoed their new offerring at ISPO 2021. There are two male and two female versions and one version each is even heated.

I am going to fit a pair as soon as they become available locally. My only concern is weight. I could not find any detail on that and I promised myself the next downhill boot would be <1.9kg.

For more info see https://www.nordica.com/men/boots/me...de-102mm/hf-2/

Click image for larger version

Name:	_600x0_050K12007T1_HF_110_1_FAV1.png
Views:	426
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	263156
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

I bought these last year: https://www.skis.com/Atomic-Savor-10...efault,pd.html

Love them. Wear them pretty loose. My feet are very average sized (not wide or narrow). I did end up getting a sole insert to take up some additional volume. Otherwise, they're plenty stiff to go hard and fast. Felt comfy. And of course, super easy to get in and out of.

Comment

I bought these a couple of years ago and love them. https://www.levelninesports.com/alpi...try-ski-boots/
      At the time, you couldn't really find rear entry boots unless you wanted to buy antiques off of eBay. However, these Nordicas and Atomics have my attention.
      Sticky Icky Ickys (I think I'm in love )
      Spruce 120's (they served me well)
      Trikke Skki

Comment

Originally posted by Ukuvox View Post
        I bought these a couple of years ago and love them. https://www.levelninesports.com/alpi...try-ski-boots/
        At the time, you couldn't really find rear entry boots unless you wanted to buy antiques off of eBay. However, these Nordicas and Atomics have my attention.
        A bunch of us on the forum bought the Alpinas several years back. I think the overall consensus was that they didn't provide enough support.
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post

A bunch of us on the forum bought the Alpinas several years back. I think the overall consensus was that they didn't provide enough support.
          I don't think the Alpinas are in the same class as the new Nordica HFs
          Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
          Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
          Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post

Agreed!
            Boards/Bindings:
            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

For those of us who loved the REs and ease of getting in and out of boots, the easy adjustability etc. well, it seems that REs are making a comeback. Nordica just demoed their new offerring at ISPO 2021. There are two male and two female versions and one version each is even heated.

I am going to fit a pair as soon as they become available locally. My only concern is weight. I could not find any detail on that and I promised myself the next downhill boot would be <1.9kg.

For more info see https://www.nordica.com/men/boots/me...de-102mm/hf-2/

Click image for larger version

Name:	_600x0_050K12007T1_HF_110_1_FAV1.png
Views:	426
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	263156
              It probably will be heavy considering the flex of 110. I want a light boot that makes walking easier. My friend has that Atomic Savor. He likes it.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
              Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
              Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
              History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Alpina has a "new" model for this year, but the changes appear to be cosmetic. https://www.levelninesports.com/alpi...te-275cm-2021/

The ones I have were adequate for my needs when I bought them. But yeah, the Nordicas seem like a definite upgrade.
                Trikke Skki

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post

I remember seeing that discussion here back when I was considering buying them (so much good info on this forum) and weighing the pros vs cons, but based on my skill level/pain level/financial level at the time, I took the plunge. No regrets.
                  Trikke Skki

Comment

Originally posted by mag View Post
                    I bought these last year: https://www.skis.com/Atomic-Savor-10...efault,pd.html

Love them. Wear them pretty loose. My feet are very average sized (not wide or narrow). I did end up getting a sole insert to take up some additional volume. Otherwise, they're plenty stiff to go hard and fast. Felt comfy. And of course, super easy to get in and out of.
                    Are they very heavy?

Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                    History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
                      Are they very heavy?

1.65kg per boot

Comment

And the Nordica is ~1.76kg/boot.

Sent from my Mi Note 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

1.65kg per boot
                          Alright guys. I bought a pair of the Atomic Savors off eBay. I got a great price, $244 too hard to resist considering my buddy loves his pair. My fulltilt booters are 11 years old. I like them, but hate the cables and the way tension is adjusted. Every time I put them on, I have to readjust the buckles, I have a pair of Tecnica Agent 110 boots with only 1 season in them. They weigh a ton and are rock solid. If only I didn't have to walk in them. I'm hoping the Atomics will be a better experience than I had with this Alpinas.

Comment

Alright guys. I bought a pair of the Atomic Savors off eBay. I got a great price, $244 too hard to resist considering my buddy loves his pair. My fulltilt booters are 11 years old. I like them, but hate the cables and the way tension is adjusted. Every time I put them on, I have to readjust the buckles, I have a pair of Tecnica Agent 110 boots with only 1 season in them. They weigh a ton and are rock solid. If only I didn't have to walk in them. I'm hoping the Atomics will be a better experience than I had with this Alpinas.

Would be interested to hear your experience. I'm concerned it would still be to wide for my narrow calves.

Comment

2 things:
                              I believe they come with a sole insert to adjust the volume. To get the liner out is possible, but it's a lot of work. (there's a plastic thing to twist & align first)

Good luck w/ the new boots. Just skied on them this past weekend, and the comfort is still there.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X