Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for Reviews

Hi Gang,

With the new shopping cart software I implemented in the store this summer reviews have taken a more prominent role. If you have time and have had good experiences with any of the skiboards, bindings or other products sold at SBOL please take the time to leave a brief review on the product's page. If you've had a negative experience please email me so we can discuss. I'm open to making any changes or improvements. Thank you, Greco

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/c/skiboards.html
    Click image for larger version

Name:	reviewform.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	262664

The actual pictures of what customers were buying that you've posted recently were quite nice, maybe such pics could be added to the product's pages ?
    Given that everybody seems to be going more and more "visual" these days, maybe some short videos of presentation of the boards, with some recommendations, like "best for" ... snow conditions, person's level or weight/height, I think such things could be attractive for potential customers - both first time buyers and people expanding their quiver
    Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
    Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
    Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post
      The actual pictures of what customers were buying that you've posted recently were quite nice, maybe such pics could be added to the product's pages ?
      Given that everybody seems to be going more and more "visual" these days, maybe some short videos of presentation of the boards, with some recommendations, like "best for" ... snow conditions, person's level or weight/height, I think such things could be attractive for potential customers - both first time buyers and people expanding their quiver
      Yes! Please post actual pics of the actual boards.
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

I've started adding them. Thanks for the idea. Please submit reviews.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

One other suggestion Greco : when there are different versions available of the same board, that are identical from a construction point of view (same stiffness for instance) and only with different graphics, maybe there's a way to share those reviews between those versions. People will buy different graphics, but they are actually reviewing the common "motherboard" that's behind them.

Don't know the database model and the code behind SBOL, but I imagine with a bit of tweaking of the code it can be done ( first linking the review to the "motherboard", not to the graphically particular instance and second by retrieving all reviews for the "motherboard", not for the specific skin from a certain year )
          Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
          Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
          Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Thanks. I'll ask the developer

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post
              One other suggestion Greco : when there are different versions available of the same board, that are identical from a construction point of view (same stiffness for instance) and only with different graphics, maybe there's a way to share those reviews between those versions. People will buy different graphics, but they are actually reviewing the common "motherboard" that's behind them.

Don't know the database model and the code behind SBOL, but I imagine with a bit of tweaking of the code it can be done ( first linking the review to the "motherboard", not to the graphically particular instance and second by retrieving all reviews for the "motherboard", not for the specific skin from a certain year )
              The developer says it would take at least 15hrs of custom programming

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                Definitely not true Sounds like he's thinking of a very complicated solution, but the easiest one would be even simpler than I've suggested at first :
                - you'll have to add a column to the boards table to store the Id of the "motherboard" for each board variant. A board variant can be its own motherboard so it can point to itself (if adding columns is a problem because of the base code, or whatever, he can create a new table that will store just these two fields : boardIModelD and motherModelID for that board )
                Filling in the values would be partly manual, because you'll be telling him which model relates to which mother model, but the data update script would take like a few minutes to write ( several INSERT INTO statements )

- the only code change he'll have to make would be to the query that retrieves the reviews on the product page. Currently the query should be something like "select ALL reviews from reviews_table where review_board_id = board_id" (for the requested product page)
                This will have to change to make it a JOIN query and use an IN clause: review_board_id IN (select all board_id from boards_table where mother_board_id is the same with the one from the requested page ).
                This query can be a bit tricky to write, but we're talking "minutes tricky", not even an hour.

I can help him with that if you want, I would only need the database model - at least the tables structure around boards and reviews tables ( the CREATE TABLE statements for these ) and the query that's used to load the product page.

Comment

So.......if I leave a review of the 2017 SSIs,which I have, that review will only be seen if someone specifically looks at the page for that model year. And when that model year sells out, that page will no longer show up on the "front" page that lists current new boards for sale. To see my review, they would need to dig through the listings of the sold out graphics?

Would it be better for us just to leave our review on the page that list the most current version of the board we have, and not worry about the model year?
                  Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                    So.......if I leave a review of the 2017 SSIs,which I have, that review will only be seen if someone specifically looks at the page for that model year. And when that model year sells out, that page will no longer show up on the "front" page that lists current new boards for sale. To see my review, they would need to dig through the listings of the sold out graphics?
                    Exactly ! And models that had been around for a while in many variations - like the Revolts - will have reviews spread out all over the place, say 2 for the Trees, 3 for the Cities, none for the latest graphics, etc.

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                    Would it be better for us just to leave our review on the page that list the most current version of the board we have, and not worry about the model year?
                    It would be a temporary fix: each year new graphics will have zero reviews when released ...

Comment

Thank you for your detailed solution newbie2011 but it's all Greek to me. You guys are all correct and it would be great if it combined them however the fix needs to be made in the Wordpress / Woocommerce system and would need to stay through updates and upgrades. The developer is contracted by the hour, that may have something to do with it, but I don't think he would be open to working with someone who is contradicting his assessment. I think I would need to find a new WP/Woo expert to implement.

Comment

Thank you for your detailed solution newbie2011 but it's all Greek to me. You guys are all correct and it would be great if it combined them however the fix needs to be made in the Wordpress / Woocommerce system and would need to stay through updates and upgrades. The developer is contracted by the hour, that may have something to do with it, but I don't think he would be open to working with someone who is contradicting his assessment. I think I would need to find a new WP/Woo expert to implement.
                        I was trying to be detailed to make the implementation easier for your dev, but indeed, there might be some "political" issues involved, I won't get in the middle, but reach out if this kind of technical help is needed.

Indeed the eventual updates could create problems, the database can be insulated, but the changes in the queries in the php code would be an issue. The good thing with the Woo plugin is that the code looks to be open source, with a dev team behind, so we can ask them for this evolution and then wait to get it automatically in a future update, or we can even submit the code changes ourselves.

In fact we would first need to come up with a way of making our specific need a bit more generic, useful or extensible for others. In our specific case several products can be instances of a core product that doesn't exist as such, like an abstract product that has yearly instances.

This must not be an unique specificity of skiboards, any other ideas of products/domains of products that behave in a similar way ?

If our "specific" would apply to others, it would get easily in the "normal" code and it would not be a very specific customization. Worse case it could be an option that's turned on or off by means of a configuration parameter, but I'm not sure if they have this kind of thing, I'll have to take a look over their code to check.

Comment

It would take a little more work from the poster, but it would be fairly easy to cut and paste our reviews into each model year as we make them. Moving forwards, perhaps those reviews could be carried forwards to the new model year page ?

Or,

Would links work. In the past Greco has linked forum threads into the skiboard description page?
                          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Thank you guys for the great ideas and discussions.

Comment

I've had a quick look over the Woo code, so in order to do things properly to stay upgrade resilient, changes would have to be done by sticking closer to their patterns and submit them to the dev team for integration. It would take most likely a few hours, but much less two development days.

Woo has some configuration options, looks like checkboxes that as Administrator you enable or disable, you have probably seen those Greco. They seem to be saved into the database. So what would be needed is :
                              - a new option like "group related products reviews" or something - add this to the db and add a few lines of code to save this on user action in the admin page
                              - add a new table that stores information about related boards
                              - there's a "get product reviews" function in Woo code. This call WP code, so we cannot go deeper with the change. But this function can be changed. It currently retrieves reviews related to the current product, but based on the new option and new table it could retrieve related reviews and display them on the product page - need to add a new query and a loop to add the reviews, but it would probably give less than 20 lines of new code.

One other option would be to post this evolution request on freelance jobs websites, I don't remember names now, but there are sites where you post the specs of a project you want to do and devs would get back to you with price & time estimates and the project owner chooses whoever he wants. The end result would be submitted to the woo team for integration into the project.

I'm convinced we're not the only ones to need such a thing, but I've yet to come up with another example for this pattern. If we had such example, it would be easy to convince the woo team, maybe they would do it by themselves, as a fun coding afternoon exercise

-----

One completely different approach would be to rearrange the catalog somehow : keep the main page presenting different editions and different graphics, I think this is quite important and useful for the potential buyer. But when getting to the product page to actually have only one product page, with the graphics and the rest being options to select from, like when I choose a jacket model and then on its page I pick a color and a size. This way related boards would be already grouped and would share the reviews.

Comment

Working...
                              X