Chromapop by Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromapop by Smith

While putting away my skiboard stuff a few months ago I noticed some “waves” on my helmet. Not wanting to mess around I ditched it and bought a Smith helmet. When I got the helmet I was recommended by the Vermont shop that I look for some Smith goggles because the goggle/helmet integration is great.

Fast forward to 2 days ago. I found a pair of 2016 Smith I/OX mint condition for next to nothing. It comes with 2 lenses so I purchased. Now, both lenses are not Chromapop. I was wondering if Chromapop is really something I should be looking at? There are replacement lenses I could buy, but I was wondering thoughts on Smith chromapop users... better than the non-chromapop lenses?
    Skis/Skiboards:
    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
    2012 Salomon SPK 90
    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

I also have the Smith I/OX goggles, though I don't have any non-chromapop lenses for the frame to compare them with. I would say that they seem better than other cheap goggles I've used, but I don't think my previous goggles had any sort of polarization so it may not be a fair comparison.

This may be more technical then you're looking for, but I found the following article that seems to do a pretty good job of explaining the details about the light filtering that supposedly makes them better than standard polarized lenses:

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...t-is-chromapop

In the end, it seems that like most things it comes down to personal preference. I would personally recommend them (depending on cost), if the lenses you have now are not polarized.

Comment

I should also add that you may want to be careful which lens color you choose as they each allow a different amount of visible light transmission:

SMITH I/OX Chromapop Lens / VLT Guide

Sun Black: 12% VLT, performance for sunny conditions.
      Sun Green Mirror: 9% VLT, the ultimate sunny condition lens.
      Sun Red Mirror: 16% VLT, performance for sunny conditions.
      Sun Platinum Mirror: 13% VLT, performance for sunny conditions.
      Everyday Red Mirror: 25% VLT, performance for sunny to variable partly cloudy conditions.
      Everyday Green Mirror: 23% VLT, performance for sunny to variable partly cloudy conditions.
      Everyday Violet Mirror: 23% VLT, performance for sunny to variable partly cloudy conditions.
      Everyday Rose: 36% VLT, performance for variable partly cloudy conditions.
      Storm Rose Flash: 50% VLT, performance for cloudy low light conditions.
      Storm Yellow Flash: 65% VLT, the ultimate low light lens.
      Photochromic Rose Flash: 30-50% VLT, range- tint changes automatically based on changing light conditions, great lens for both variable light & low light.

I have the Sun Black and Storm Rose Flash. Unless it is a really sunny day, I've found I generally prefer the Storm Rose Flash. There are times I wish I had the Storm Yellow Flash or a clear lens for night riding.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for all of the info. The green non-chromapop lenses that come with them are only like 10-13%. I purchased a pair of everyday green and then they also come with a 55% pair of red sensor mirror which will work for lower light(which is the majority of the time in Poconos). I will likely use the everyday and red sensor the most.
        Skis/Skiboards:
        2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
        2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
        2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
        2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
        20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
        2012 Salomon SPK 90
        2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
        2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

I love the new high definition rose colored lenses. They really make things pop.

I snagged a pair of Smith goggles a couple of years ago (cheap from Level9) that have an internal battery powered vent fan. So far they have never ever fogged up on me. I'll keep these till the rubber disintegrates. If I ever run into another pair I'll probably snag a backup.

Comment

Working...
          X