Do I have a ticking timebomb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a ticking timebomb?

Hit a rock the other day and when I looked for the gouge I found this instead. I don't necessarily pay a whole lot of attention to my bases as I'm a never waxer so I'm not sure how long it's been going on. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on repair before there's a failure.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boards: 15 Blunt XL / 13 Slapdash
    Bindings: Bomber 2 Elite / Zero Pro
    Boots: Atomic Hawx 2.0 100

Is that clear through the ptex to the metal edge? Or is there still a bit of base left in the gouge?

Best option is to take it to a good shop, who will have the proper tools to weld in a ptex patch. If you want to get many more seasons of use out of the, do that. It doesn't look like the edge is damaged.

If they're old boards with additional damage, you can put a thin layer of marine epoxy in first, if it's straight through the base to wood and metal, and then use ptex candles over top. I place a piece of very thin cotton fabric (from old boxers; thin pillowcase or sheets could work) the same shape as the patch on the wet epoxy. This helps immensely to bind the ptex. Hard riding will probably knock out the patch eventually; it can be repatched a few times if you scrape out the old gunk and make sure your cores are fully dry before repatching. I did the first 20 days of this season on my old pair of Spliffs with edge coreshots, patching every 4 or 5 riding days. Had to give them up after chunks of edge literally ripped out. Unpatched, this will be a timebomb if the core gets wet, but if you keep up on it you can extend the life of the boards, and a proper shop fix might last indefinitely.
    BOARDSLAYER
    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Spliffs at the end.... it's a rough mountain, I hit rocks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	qw2BsNo.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	262121

Click image for larger version

Name:	lQm9p5I.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	262120
      BOARDSLAYER
      Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Wow, that is quite the core shot. I'm impressed you were able to get your boards going again. Mine actually isn't a core shot. I think my edge has somehow come loose and has chewed through the base graphic under the clear base. I can't really wiggle the edge but wonder if I'd have a major blowout on a smaller hit that wouldn't normally cause catastrophic damage.

Comment

Hmm, that explains the photos. I couldn't quite tell what was going on. I'm thinking an epoxy injection followed by some solid clamping would help. A shop might be able to cut a piece of base out, epoxy the edge and weld back, but a disposable syringe, some marine epoxy and a good clamping (vise with strips of wood to protect the board) would probably work at home.

It does look like a potential blowout, but fixable.
          BOARDSLAYER
          Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

So my tired old blunt XLs just need a little epoxy Botox. I was debating on whether it was worth going to a shop for the repair but I like the idea of the in-house repair. Thanks for input.

Comment

No worries, good luck with the fix!

Do use marine epoxy, as it's waterproof and a little more flexible. I've used quick-set stuff but the patches failed quickly. Getting the epoxy in will probably be a bit of a pain, but it shouldn't take much.
              BOARDSLAYER
              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Whoa, Steeps - that's some Bohemia style carnage!

Russ, I have a very similar wound on my KTPs. I was able to fill it with ptex and it has held up quite well for a couple years now. I don't ride my KTPs as much as you're riding your XLs, but it's certainly worth a shot at filling in.

Comment

I figure with the amount of days I have on these I'm already in borrowed time but will take as many more days as I can get. Either way I should probably look into getting a back up pair of XLs. I mean I have other boards but as it turns out those are mostly just for show

Comment

When a to couple stores and nobody would sell me any syringes. It was a bit awkward and no one bought the "fixing a ski" explanation. Ugh... Well, it turns out Amazon doesn't judge and now I'll have 19 more syringes just in case. Project is on hold till then

Comment

Originally posted by kyu View Post
                      When a to couple stores and nobody would sell me any syringes. It was a bit awkward and no one bought the "fixing a ski" explanation. Ugh... Well, it turns out Amazon doesn't judge and now I'll have 19 more syringes just in case. Project is on hold till then
                      FYI, the best source to find assorted sizes of syringes and needles locally (and hassle-free) is the vet supply section at any good feed store or farm-and-home.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

FYI, the best source to find assorted sizes of syringes and needles locally (and hassle-free) is the vet supply section at any good feed store or farm-and-home.
                        Looks as though I will need to pay them a visit. Turns out my Amazon syringes all came with a blunt end. Cal-Ranch here I come

Comment

Heh, it might have been easier if you went to a harm-reduction facility and just told them you were shooting up... ; )

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                          Whoa, Steeps - that's some Bohemia style carnage.
                          Bohemia's got me interested... I'm curious (and slightly skeptical) about the triple blacks out there. One of these years, maybe. Until then, I'll just keep trashing boards at the Horse.
                          BOARDSLAYER
                          Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
                            Heh, it might have been easier if you went to a harm-reduction facility and just told them you were shooting up... ; )

Bohemia's got me interested... I'm curious (and slightly skeptical) about the triple blacks out there. One of these years, maybe. Until then, I'll just keep trashing boards at the Horse.
                            And they would have been free...

Comment

I just was talking about my skis coming apart... and now I feel like I was being picky. Jesus these look crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X