Wide brake options.. Or not!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wide brake options.. Or not!

So, I've entered the releasable world having won some Spruce 120s with tyrolia sl100s on eBay in the UK, look in great condition so think I got a good deal.. I would like to use the risers on my RCs as well as have tweaked knees a couple of times (+ getting old!). Read lots of old threads and just wanted to check I'd understood options right.. Use risers as are, using leashes with brakes sat on top-sheet. Upgrade to newer bindings with wide brakes and use on both RCs and 120s. I think bending current brakes a step too far as likely old and brittle?!
    Thanks Simon

The good thing with those old Tyrolia bindings is that the older they are, the easier they are to tweak and twist :-)

Just a few weeks ago I did this on a pair of S10. On mine the rear binding is in fact composed of a heel part (that's screwed to the risers) and the brake part, which uses one screw to attach to the heel piece.

The brake piece has two plastic parts. The part that has the screw hole is connected through some short metal arms to the other part that holds the actual brakes. The thing is both those metallic arms can be twisted. I first was able to remove the brake arms, but than I did better: you can by twisting and pulling to actually detach the shorter connecting arms from the small piece that has the screw. That part I screwed it to the binding so now there's no missing heel support and all that's needed is to attach the leash and they are multi-boards. Attaching the leash was also a bit tricky, these S10 don't have much in terms of holes, but on the sides there's a bit of space between the locking (moving up-down part) and the fixed part, enough to pass through a thin metal loop. Not sure if you have the same model, if you do I can post a picture if it would help you in any way.
    Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
    Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
    Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Thanks Newbie, I'll investigate the options. I thinking of using the 120s with brakes so would be interested to hear views of leaving them on (but defunct) for use on RCs (with leash).. If it works out I'll probably sell my soft boot set up; old school burton freeride bindings with original top strap from my snowboarding days..

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerninja View Post
        Thanks Newbie, I'll investigate the options. I thinking of using the 120s with brakes so would be interested to hear views of leaving them on (but defunct) for use on RCs (with leash).. If it works out I'll probably sell my soft boot set up; old school burton freeride bindings with original top strap from my snowboarding days..
        If I understand correctly, you want to use the same bindings on narrow boards (120s) with brakes and on wider (RCs) with leashes and with the brakes still on, but somehow out of the way ? In this case I'd rather get a pair of cheap brakes, regardless of the width, remove the brakes like I was describing, and than depending on the boards, put on the brake-full or the brake-less heel pad, it's just a screw on each board, easy to switch from one to the other
        Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
        Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
        Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post

If I understand correctly, you want to use the same bindings on narrow boards (120s) with brakes and on wider (RCs) with leashes and with the brakes still on, but somehow out of the way ? In this case I'd rather get a pair of cheap brakes, regardless of the width, remove the brakes like I was describing, and than depending on the boards, put on the brake-full or the brake-less heel pad, it's just a screw on each board, easy to switch from one to the other
          Hi Newbie
          Finally got round to swapping over. This is what I meant. Use risers with narrow brakes on RCs (with leash) so that as/when I swap back to 120s brakes will work as planned..

Comment

Hi Newbie
            Finally got round to swapping over. This is what I meant. Use risers with narrow brakes on RCs (with leash) so that as/when I swap back to 120s brakes will work as planned..
            Oh, I see, the brakes are in half-closed position when you put the on RCs, I was thinking to remove the brakes and screw in place just a heel pad without the brake, but this is better cause it was not really necessary ...

Comment

I personally dont recommend leashes on releasable bindings. In a more serious crash, your skiboards will be attached to you as you tumble, meaning they could injure you. I had a bad crash where I was air born and landed on my skiboards, they had no where else to go because of the leashes. Cause a lot of bruising and cuts on my legs and back.
              Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Thanks Roussel, hadn't thought of the crash flying board scenario.. Might have to get really long leash

Comment

Thanks Roussel, hadn't thought of the crash flying board scenario.. Might have to get really long leash
                  of your leashes are too long they will end up under your edges when you ski. there are leashes on coils that could work, mountaineers use them.
                  Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post

of your leashes are too long they will end up under your edges when you ski. there are leashes on coils that could work, mountaineers use them.
                    Perfect, thank you

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

did you think about getting bigger brakes?
                      Skis/Skiboards:
                      2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
                      2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
                      2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
                      2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
                      20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
                      2012 Salomon SPK 90
                      2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
                      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post
                        did you think about getting bigger brakes?
                        It's the old sl100 bindings, didn't think there were any compatible? Great if there are..

Comment

It's the old sl100 bindings, didn't think there were any compatible? Great if there are..

I searched and ebay has them. my recommendation would be to contact Jeff from Spruce and her can direct you for 100% certainty. I believe it is type L Head/Tyrolia brakes. They can be found fairly cheap online(ebay)
                          Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                          2012 Salomon SPK 90
                          2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post

I searched and ebay has them. my recommendation would be to contact Jeff from Spruce and her can direct you for 100% certainty. I believe it is type L Head/Tyrolia brakes. They can be found fairly cheap online(ebay)
                            Great, thank you

Comment

instead of dealing with leashes and swapping out brakes, just get a set that is bigger that fits both. I had 1 set of brakes that fit my DLPs as well as my Blunt XL. There is never any issues. Definitely my recommendation as Head/Tyrolia typically use the same brake codes for a long time. Be sure to speak to Jeff for 100 percent certainty though on the brake code so that you can get the proper ones.
                              Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                              2012 Salomon SPK 90
                              2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Working...
                              X