Hello Spruce...Slingshot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Spruce...Slingshot?

Was browsing the Spruce store this evening and noticed Jeff now has the 2019/2020 Crossbows in stock...as well as what appears to be a brand new "Slingshot" board.

https://www.spruceski.com/store/p59/Slingshot.html

Anyone have the skinny on what the specs are on these and how they ride? Doesn't seem to have too much detail on the site yet.

Oh man I already was planning on adding the crossbows this year and now this is getting laid on me. My poor wallet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, based on the photo, I can confidently say they are 119cm in length. Big help, eh?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

171cm/190lbs
      Current Favorites:
      RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
      Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
      Other boards I'm trying:
      Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

From Jeff singer : 119 cm, 147-114-122, turn radius 10.7, medium stiff, some rocker at tip, none at tail

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Ordered a pair today

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

would love these for touring... if i could direct mount alpine touring bindings...
            Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

I decided a few months ago that I wanted to buy a new set of boards for this season. I've been riding Sherpas and 2010 Condors for a long time. I've been agonising over what to get for weeks. Then today, I saw these and ordered a pair immediately. I guess sometimes you don't know what you want until you see it.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                From Jeff singer : 119 cm, 147-114-122, turn radius 10.7, medium stiff, some rocker at tip, none at tail

I'm still a relative novice so I don't have much grounding on what all this translates into. Given the similar length, anyone have any thoughts on how this will differ in performance compared to Crossbows?

I think Crossbows are rockered at tip and tail, and cambered as well. The Slingshots have larger tips (for that v-shape), rocker only at tip, and presumably no camber (?). More relaxed turning radius, better in pow, less ideal for icier conditions? Am I thinking about that right? I realize we'll have to wait for real life reviews to know for sure but I loved the theory crafting that went on with the Chronic/Crossbows prior to their introduction.

Comment

Yes, we will all need to wait to test the real life performance of the Slingshot. -but I have a few thoughts having ridden and owned all the previous Spruce boards including the Crossbows. I really like the Crossbows as an overal generalist skiboard. Ridden center great on ice . Ridden in the rear inserts great in pow . 115 length nice and manuverable compared to longer Spruce boards. I think the Slingshot may be a tad more slippery on ice but the longer shape , with the Y shaped design , wider in tip then tail , rocker in tip and stiff in the tail should make it killer in softer snow , backcountry snow , and crust and more manuverable then the Osprey or the Sherpa . Just my off the cuff thoughts but am looking forward to trying out the Slingshot when I get my hands on my pair !!!

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk
                  Boards :
                  Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                  Boots
                  K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                  Bindings:
                  Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Sorry I misstated the crossbow length it is of course 115 cm NOT 109

Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by warreo View Post
                      Was browsing the Spruce store this evening and noticed Jeff now has the 2019/2020 Crossbows in stock...as well as what appears to be a brand new "Slingshot" board.

https://www.spruceski.com/store/p59/Slingshot.html

Anyone have the skinny on what the specs are on these and how they ride? Doesn't seem to have too much detail on the site yet.
                      Jeff has added an information page to the Spruce web site about the Slingshot boards. Product Design Features - Spruce Slingshot.
                      https://www.spruceski.com/spruce-slingshot.html
                      Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                      Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                      Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

I noticed these a few days ago and exchanged some info by email with Jeff. He noted, as is listed in the now updated product info, that he based the design on the old Salomon BRR skis. This is what Salomon called a "V" design with a really wide (almost oversized) tip shovel and narrow tail. This design in the BBR was intended to make them a true all purpose ski and was modeled more on surfboards ideas then ski tech of the time. In practice they had a surfy/slarvy feel. In powder/crud the large tip BBR would bust through and float while the tails sunk in. On groomed runs the BBR still felt narrow and easy to turn. The only knock on the BBR, that I recall, was that it had a heavy tip swing weight which could be unnerving to the intermediate riders. If you take that package an shrink in down to skiboard size the swing weight issue disappears and your left with a surfy skiboard the is likely very easy to turn and performs well in powder. Jeff commented that this board would fit skier/skiboarders that tend to skid/slide their turns more than carve their turns. I would suspect that design of this board would be very easy to "steer" by twisting the hips.

So Crossbow or Slingshot? If you ride mostly on piste on the East Coast the Crossbow's more traditional "X" design makes the most sense for a one board quiver. If you ride more off piste and find yourself in West Coast pow the Slingshot's "V" design might be your powder surfing choice. The Slingshot looks like Jeff left a stock of Sherpas alone with his last set of Spruce 120s and they had a baby. You have the curd busting shovel of the Sherpas blended on to a shorter skiboard with a more narrow tail. If you liked the Sherpas but didn't like their length these might also be the boards for you. My prediction is that backcountry riders will love these as a new "approach ski" option.

One last note: A side comment that came out of my emails with Jeff. If you are considering a Spruce Skiboard note that you have an option to add (for $50) a race tuning to your boards before Jeff ships them. This is a fantastic option to ensure that the boards you get are as true and ready to go as possible. Given the pitfalls of small batch ski production this will take out any issues in the bases and give you a perfect edge. It's cheaper than a high end tune and hot box wax at my local shop. Jeff has access to a wonderful race tuning shop and you can get the benefit of that when you order from him.

Boards:
                        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Thanks jjue and Wookie, your opinions are as invaluable as ever!

Comment

Oh dang, I've been contemplating what a board with tip rocker, no tail rocker and a pintail would be like...

117 cm is a deal breaker though, non-release bindings are one of my favorite aspects of the sport.
                            BOARDSLAYER
                            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                            X