FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ

I'll start it off by answering some of the most common questions we receive. Everyone, if i've missed any, please post any questions you get while you're riding that you think may interest someone who's just starting out.

Thanks,

Greco
    Owner / Rider - Skiboardsonline.com

Q. Are skiboards fun?
    A. Extremely!

Q. Can you go fast?
    A. Extremely!

Q. What are snowblades and skiblades.
    A. Snowblades are an inferior brand of skiboards made by Salomon. Only a skiboard made by Salomon can be called a snowblade. Skiblade is just another term for a skiboard. The preferred term is Skiboards and Skiboarding.

Q. Should I use poles?
    A. Please do not use polls. Polls are used to help turn big skis. Skiboards are very easy to turn and unless you have very, very poor balance you won't need polls and they will take away from the feeling of freedom skiboarding provides.

Q. Can I use them in powder?
    A. Yes, but if you plan on riding in powder get wider skiboards made by companies like Canon, Groove and Snowjam. (Actually wider is better for pretty much any application as it applies here.) Also, there are certain techniques to riding skiboards in powder.
    1. Keep your tips up and lean back, which is difficult to do in the beginning because your tails aren't that long but you'll get used to it quickly. Most bindings allow you to move them back slightly to assist in this
    2. Stay on steep terrain. Like a snowboard, if you get caught in deep snow and the hill isn't steep you'll be stuck.
    3. Head for the trees. One of the biggest thrills of skiboarding is riding powder through steep, dense trees...Nirvana!

Q. Can I use regular ski boots?
    A. Yes, every skiboard binding will work with regular ski boots.

Q. Can I use soft snowboarding boots with skiboards?
    A. Snowboard bindings that use soft snowboard boots will screw into all skiboards that use the standard 4cm x 4cm skiboards however they will be too close to the board and you'll have to create a type of riser to lift them off the board (currently no company makes this). In addition, soft snowboard boots don't provide enough lateral support for carving.

Q. Do skiboard bindings release?
    A. Some do, some do not. Examples of non-release bindings are: Bomber Elite, Canon's TD1, Groove's X1, Snowjam's Extreme II and Line FF Pro. The best releasable solution and the only ones we sell are the Spruce Mountain Riser/Bindings.

Q. Are 4 hole skiboards better than 8?
    A. 8 hole insert boards (salomon, new line's, k2, sporten, almost all skiboards we don't carry) are definitely inferior to 4 hole, for a number of reasons:

1. 8 hole boards spread the contact area of the bindings over a larger area meaning less of the board can flex meaning the ride isn't as good, especially for carving.

2. The only companies that make boards with 8 hole inserts choose to use foam cores which do not provide even, lasting or consistent flex and aren't as strong which equals more potential for breakage.

3. No company makes replacement parts or replacement 8 hole bindings. Which means if you ever break an 8 hole binding you have to buy new bindings AND boards. And, since all 8 hole bindings are made of cheap plastic it's more likely they will break.

4. The universal 4 hole insert pattern is an industry standard and is used by ALL core skiboarding companies which means you can interchange bindings and boards and even upgrade your boards and/or bindings independently from each other.

There really is no reason to buy foam core boards that use 8 hole plastic binding when you can buy high quality, wood core boards that use 4 hole, all metal bindings for the same price or less.

Q. How come I never see any skiboarders at my local mountain?
    A. Skiboarding was more popular with the mainstream a few years ago when it was the "new" thing. This has been replaced by the new twintip ski craze. Many people on the mountain are just there because they want to fit into what society say is cool. (why else would so many go through all the expense and trouble of getting snowboards and gear and then just sit in the terrain park). Skiboarding is not mainstream, you won't see 'Tony the Tiger' skiboarding on a box of Frosted Flakes. But, skiboarding is totally liberating, you're on the mountain doing what you love, going where ever you want, with total control and freedom. And all the "sheep" are looking at you and wondering "are those fun?" "It looks like he/she's having fun." "I would like to try it but my friends might make fun of me because i'll be different from them." Geez!

Sorry, I got off on a tangent but what i'm trying to say is without any advertising or marketing skiboarding is still growing...how? by word of mouth from the people who love it. So get some skiboards and join us in being individuals. You won't regret it.

All for now...

-G
    Last edited by Greco; 12-14-2005, 06:32 PM.

Well, I have to say this was a damn good idea.
    ~How many snowboarders does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 10. 1 to do it, and 9 to say 'I can do that.'~

Comment

Thanks. Feel free to add to it.

G

Comment

Props Greco. It's actually quite a shame to see all my old skiboarding buddies go to twin tips because everybody is doing it. My first skiboards were some soloman buzz snowblades :'( hehe, but they were just hand-me-downs from my bro when he got twin tips but they were recentally run over by a snowmobile, so now i have some line mike nick pros with canon td1 bindings. Cha-ching!

Comment

Just a comment to this Q/A.......do the additional accessories fit any skiboard? Are there any comfortable skiboard boots on the market ?

A. Not without some additional accessories. The best option right now is to add the Miller Releasable interface to your skiboards and then attach your snowboard bindings to it.

Comment

Originally posted by comp78tec
            Just a comment to this Q/A.......do the additional accessories fit any skiboard? Are there any comfortable skiboard boots on the market ?

A. Not without some additional accessories. The best option right now is to add the Miller Releasable interface to your skiboards and then attach your snowboard bindings to it.
            Some good skiboard boots are Salomon Verse 4.0s or 550s, if you can find them (i ride 550s).....I heard some good things about Rossingnol Soft Lights too. You need a ski boot that puts you in an upright stance like skating unlike a forward lean stance normally used in skiing. Also hardshell snowboard boots are good to I hear, you can get them here at SBOL, but a bit pricy....I prefer softboots as they feel a lot better and are very comfy. There is a way to mount your snowboard bindings to a skiboard, but i wouldn't recommend it.....soft boots are the only boots i'd buy online mainly because they don't really need to be fitted and are a lot like skates in my opinion, but other than that go to your local ski shop and get fitted for some boots that put you in an upright position.

Comment

Since this is the FAQ bit, I thought I'd just comment on how good a service I have had from SBOL- incase any of you, like me, wanted to buy some gear but were a bit reluctant to buy online.

I ordered my first ever set of skiboards last week and they arrived in the UK within a few days. There were no problems at 'Customs' or anything 'cos Greco filled all the appropriate stuff out when he sent them, and they arrived in perfect condition. He's a good guy and SBOL has good gear, so don't worry,
              get skiboarding

Comment

NICE

NICE WORK G THAT WAS VERY INFOMATIVE
                "1 out of every 10 adults suffers from alcoholism and 2 out of 5 teens 12-18 suffer the same".

Comment

Working...
                X