Base Grind vs P-Tex vs Both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base Grind vs P-Tex vs Both?

I purchased a set of DLPs from a member to have as my back up. They are well used but have plenty of life left. The edges are all rusted which isn't a big deal, those can be cleaned up. The bases are "good" but have some scratches from use as well as a gash/divot. Not down to core and was told with purchase that it did not effect riding at all. I do not have any doubts as the seller is a member of our community.

I was going to have them go through a base grind just to freshen them up a bit and get all of the old wear erased so that I can start fresh with them. I was wondering about the gash/divot. Should I drip some p-tex in there and shave it prior to the base grind or since it does not effect riding, just forget about it and take them for what they are after the base grind?

Just wanted to get opinions from our group so that when they get here I will know where to start.

Thanks for the help,
    Mike

Skis/Skiboards:
    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
    2012 Salomon SPK 90
    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

I would do both, and have the edges set and tuned at the same time. A gouge in your bases always has the ability to effect how the boards ride, so definitely fill it with P-Tex. Also, when you get the grind done, try to make sure they don't just put a structure in, but actually true the bases flat.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
      I would do both, and have the edges set and tuned at the same time. A gouge in your bases always has the ability to effect how the boards ride, so definitely fill it with P-Tex. Also, when you get the grind done, try to make sure they don't just put a structure in, but actually true the bases flat.
      Thanks man, appreciate the advice. They are a real upstanding shop so I have no doubt that they will do it properly. So P-tex first and then take for the base grind?
      Skis/Skiboards:
      2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
      2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
      2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
      2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
      20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
      2012 Salomon SPK 90
      2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Yes, P-Tex first. That way they can grind the structure into the repaired area as well as the base.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
        X