Help a noob decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boyanr View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising them in any way, I love my Crossbows and I am eager to get Rvl8 boards in the future as well. The riser makes perfect sense in many cases - for all those wider boards i.e. , where you will have hard time carving without it, or for all the shorter boards. But there are still times I would rather not have a riser - both to be a bit more lightweight and to be closer to the boards. I am just starting in the park, but that's one place I don't feel that comfortable with a riser. I know most here that do park use non-release, but I am too afraid to go that route Also, for people outside the US and Russia the riser plate setup is much more difficult and expensive to buy... They are basically not available and the only option is to import from one of those 2 countries.

Hence, I am still thinking about alternatives to the riser and this seems a way to do it, maybe not on 104 cm boards (as Ruben has broken them), but at least on 110+ boards? Anyway, I will be riding the Uprise with the riser for the time being anyway. Then next season I might just source some cheap second hand Attack2's and try it out to see the difference.

I know this thread, I've read it several times. Drilling is out of the question for me (although a lot of people are happy with their Summit boards), but here we are talking about direct mount with inserts.
    No worries, I'm not criticizing you, and I'm on the same side of the Atlantic and like you know how difficult/pricey can be to get raisers here. But i'm skeptical about the solution, especially for 110+ boards, for which risers are a "must", there's no option to go non-release because of safety issues.

I'm just skeptical about the inserts + direct binding mounts being technically a fail-proof solution, that there would be no drawbacks to it... Never looked deeper into that, from the top of my head I imagine these inserts would prevent that part of the board from bending (bending would probably present the risk of boots popping out of the bindings), and if only the front and tail of the board is capable of flexing ... don't know seems strange to me ... Empirically I was just assuming that Greco or Jeff would have thought of this solution, and they would have done it a long time ago if it would have been flawless ... but this is mostly guesswork, I can be completely wrong
    Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
    Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
    Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Originally posted by boyanr View Post

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising them in any way, I love my Crossbows and I am eager to get Rvl8 boards in the future as well. The riser makes perfect sense in many cases - for all those wider boards i.e. , where you will have hard time carving without it, or for all the shorter boards. But there are still times I would rather not have a riser - both to be a bit more lightweight and to be closer to the boards. I am just starting in the park, but that's one place I don't feel that comfortable with a riser. I know most here that do park use non-release, but I am too afraid to go that route Also, for people outside the US and Russia the riser plate setup is much more difficult and expensive to buy... They are basically not available and the only option is to import from one of those 2 countries.

Hence, I am still thinking about alternatives to the riser and this seems a way to do it, maybe not on 104 cm boards (as Ruben has broken them), but at least on 110+ boards? Anyway, I will be riding the Uprise with the riser for the time being anyway. Then next season I might just source some cheap second hand Attack2's and try it out to see the difference.

I know this thread, I've read it several times. Drilling is out of the question for me (although a lot of people are happy with their Summit boards), but here we are talking about direct mount with inserts.
      I also ride quite a lot of park and I didn't notice much of a difference riding with risers or not. If anything, the risers made it easier to ride on an edge because of the extra leverage. They also made me land switch into a carve, which I couldn't do without them before. On rails I definately notice standing higher, but I use that to my advantage as it is easier to lock onto rails when you want to slide to forwards and such. However, I am not that good at park yet, so my opinion may change in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post
        I'm just skeptical about the inserts + direct binding mounts being technically a fail-proof solution, that there would be no drawbacks to it... Never looked deeper into that, from the top of my head I imagine these inserts would prevent that part of the board from bending (bending would probably present the risk of boots popping out of the bindings), and if only the front and tail of the board is capable of flexing ... don't know seems strange to me ... Empirically I was just assuming that Greco or Jeff would have thought of this solution, and they would have done it a long time ago if it would have been flawless ... but this is mostly guesswork, I can be completely wrong
        The riser is the more versatile solution no doubt - it will work for all kinds of skiboards ,bindings and all kinds of riders, etc. I'm just thinking it should not be the only solution.

I don't think inserts prevent the flex, neither drilling directly prevents it. And the bindings themselves would only prevent flex a little bit. Some freestyle skis i.e. are super flexible and they flex a lot under the binding! Some of Tyrolia’s bindings allow full natural flex of the whole ski . So it is the bigger thickness of snowblades to allow drilling that makes them less flexible. Inserts solve this problem.

Ruben - I am just starting at park, and I am much older than you I'm 38, so I am more careful and landing into a carve is not what I want haha I guess I look like a Jerry You probably were making some serious jumps, in order to break them? The truth is skiboards in general would be prone to breaking regardless of binding, as they are quite thin, and you will probably break many pairs in the park. Same is true for snowboards - I see stories of broken snowboards every weekend in my local ski/snowboard group on facebook. Very rarely broken skis - skis just have thicker and stronger cores.

Overall I still think the idea of direct mount with inserts is good, and I am sure the Uprise work perfectly that way for the riding they were designed for - carving groomers. At the end of the day they were not made for the park, although this is what I plan to use them for

But otherwise the concept works I believe - skiboards with inserts and direct mount would work great, as long as they use the proper bindings. The Eman Uprise is to be used with a demo binding, which is definitely a minus - heavier and worse performance. But skiboards designed for the park could have inserts for proper freestyle ski bindings that would allow the whole ski to flex naturally. Same for the long skiboards for backcountry. Jeff is already doing a direct mount setup on the Sherpa, if the Spruce longboards were made with inserts for direct mount of Tyrolia Amibition or similar, it would be event better?

Comment

Update - tested the Eman last weekend. The conditions were icy slopes (after a warm week) but 20-30cm of fresh powder outside the slopes in the upper areas of Borovets ski area. Naturally great conditions for the Crossbows, but I had left them for waxing so I only had the Emans with me. Saturday I spent with my 4 year old on the bunny slopes so I couldn't test them but then on Sunday I got plenty. I ditched the slopes completely – the Emans are camber, but short, so I feel more secure on icy with the Crossbows (one of the reasons I got them!).

So we went to the highest ski area (~2500m) which is above the tree line and (outside the slopes) is covered with dwarf pines (pinus mugo). Those are very dangerous usually (your ski gets stuck under a branch and you get face planted), but finally we have enough snow accumulated to cover them enough to ski safely over them - and with 20-30cm of fresh powder on top. I was sad I didn't have the Crossbows with me that day, but then I was pleasantly surprised - THOSE EMANS FLOAT surprisingly well. I didn't even have to lean back a lot. Did a lot of runs and not a single fall! I have yet to ride the Crossbows in such conditions and would be interesting to see how the two boards compare, but I was very happy with the Emans. And in a few days I will be in Austria and will test them in the park as well.

Overall:
          - Crossbows are easier to ride on steep groomed slopes, ice or just very hard packed snow. They are less effort to turn and much better on moguls. I will use them when riding on groomed red/black slopes, moguls, icy or slushy snow, when I need speed to keep up with other skiers/snowboarders.
          - Eman Uprise holds a better edge on snow and carves nicer, but if it's too steep or icy it's not as stable and becomes difficult to control. Much easier to skate. I will use them at the park, on powder days or when I am teaching my daughter.

Comment

boyanr, after a season with the Eman Uprise, have you tried using those Tyrolia Attack inserts? How are you getting along on them in general? I'm thinking about getting those as my first real skiboards.
            ​​​
            My stuff
            Eman Uprise 104 cm (the last ones ever produced, 2021)
            Tyrolia Attack bindings (mounted directly to factory-installed inserts)

Retired:
            RPX 180 Crazy Crew 90 cm with drilled cheapo release bindings that eventually ripped out of the foam core. Ever heard of these? Me neither...

Comment

Originally posted by cari66ean View Post

I will get a Mantrax riser
              Hi! I am very interested in hearing if this riser is any good. Did you get it in the end? Is it compatible with any bindings or only specific ones? Is this the one? http://www.skiboard.cz/katalog/bezpecnostni-vazani/201
              My stuff

Retired:
              RPX 180 Crazy Crew 90 cm with drilled cheapo release bindings that eventually ripped out of the foam core. Ever heard of these? Me neither...

Comment

Originally posted by Deddly View Post
                boyanr, after a season with the Eman Uprise, have you tried using those Tyrolia Attack inserts? How are you getting along on them in general? I'm thinking about getting those as my first real skiboards.
                ​​​
                Hi

So basically last season (20-21) one day early in the season I rented some long twin tip skis. I have only been on long skis a few times years ago, and was wondering if now that I learnt to ski on skiboards well if that would translate to long skis. It turned out - yes so a few weeks later I bought myself some Line Blends. Two rides and I am already as good as on skiboards, and I loved it, so I basically did the remaining ~30 skiing days of the season on long skis only.

In the meantime I decided I need to sell one of the 2 pairs of skiboards, so I sold the Crossbows. I figured out I have been riding mostly the Eman's lately. The Crossbows were great in many areas, but not good in others (i.e. jumping, park, or powder, unless you set back the bindings). The Uprise takes more effort (being shorter), but is more versatile so works better for me overall. I also sold my spruce riser - and bought the Attack Demo to use with the Eman inserts. My Line Blends 171 cm are just 500 grams heavier than crossbows + riser + sx10... And the sx10 is like 1 kg lighter than the attack bindings most people put on their riser. I never liked this underfoot weight so I decided to ditch the riser and use the inserts. However, I am yet to ride them... I just got hooked up on long skis. I plan to ride them the coming winter for sure, so I will come back and report once I do. They feel nice, still a bit heavy (those attack demos are a heavy binding!) , but much lighter than before. I have not given up ski boarding, but for now it will be more of a early-or-late-season thing when conditions are not as good and I still need to entertain myself somehow.

Overall - I don't know about your ski boarding level and style, but the Eman Uprise is good enough, I think. Especially if you are in Europe and are looking for a cheaper alternative. I think the quality is very good (the current model , earlier versions were different I think). Being short it is good for beginners. But it is also a classic ski boarding geometry, cambered, solid, so if you are more advanced you can just throw some really hard shit on it and it will hold well.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the great information there! I have a set of them on the way with the Attack demo bindings - exactly the same setup. Turns out this will be the last pair they ever make, so I'm glad I got my order in on time and didn't deliberate too long!

Can't wait to try them out.
                  My stuff

Retired:

Comment

I had promised an update once I ride the Eman Uprise with Attack Demo without riser (using the inserts in the boards). I finally tested it a couple of weeks ago.

So for me it's a much better option than riser+bindings. Skiboards are very responsive, lively, being closer to the ski is a big plus for me. I was more stable on jumps and stuff. Although I don't like demo bindings in general and wouldn't put a demo binding on my long skis, it was definitely a step up from the riser plate. I am still probably gonna sell the Eman's, as I am riding my freestyle skis exclusively right now and can't see myself riding skiboards more than 1-2 days per year at the moment, but I do feel sorry I didn't just buy this setup originally a couple of years ago.

Comment

P.S. I would say "I recommend them" , but Eman seems to be out of business nowadays. But if someone in Europe does find a second hand pair and is hesitating - go for it. Even if they don't have the attacks, you can always get find them separately.

Comment

Thanks for the update, boyanr! I did end up getting the same setup - I managed to get the last ones they had, and I have had a very positive experience with them so far, though I don't have much to compare with.
                        My stuff

Retired:

Comment

Working...
                        X