Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boyanr View Post
    KTP and Spliffs are too wide for my bindings
    Probably they are too wide for the brakes that you have, but you can remove the brakes and use leashes, it takes just a couple of extra seconds to attach them, I have leashes on two of my boards and they are not really annoying compared to plain step-in.

Twoowts are good boards I have heard, but they are outside EU so VAT+duties...
    Still, the starting price is quite low... Maybe you know someone who could send/fly them over from Moskow ?

I'm trying to get some Twoowts myself... guess I'll have a bonus "surprise" upon arrival ...
    Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
    Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
    Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

I had to wait almost a month for the Crossbows to clear customs There are some new EU rules that our post is struggling to comply with But yes, I will consider the Twoowts. I am leaning towards the Uprise, second choice is Twoowt and third is to just get cheap Mantrax and don't care if I break them quickly

Comment

The Mantrax would definitely be the least heart breaking in case you break them :-) They would probably be as quick to get to you as the Uprise, you should be able to try them this winter already I imagine. Given the delays that you mention, there's a chance that the Revolts would get there almost mid-March...

Then the question is, do you think this is the board you want/suit best for park ? The Revolts are a very good board, but I don't think that most people that do park are using Revolts ... It's the first board I got and I don't remember reading that it's a park board. There are extensive review on the forum, I would look more into both Revolt reviews and park oriented boards, to get more information.

If you're sure this is the boards you want, then Uprise or Revolts would be a good, long term purchase. If you think you might want a different park board, Mantrax can be a cheap/quick option to try out, while waiting to get the other board that you might fancy. And like the Revolts, they should at least be a good all-mountain board, can also be used as demo to friends that would be interested in trying.
        Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
        Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
        Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Revolts are claimed to be great for the park... but this does sparks a question - what actually makes a skiboard good for the park? With regular skis the "must haves" are twin tip and center mounted, anything else is up to rider preference (flex/stiff, camber/rocker, length), but we have those 2 things by default... I do notice the skiboards rated as good for the park are mostly stiff, cambered and 100-110 cm long. I didn't try rails/boxes on the crossbows , but I can guess their super flex might cause them to break more easily in the park. The crossbows seem much softer than even the softest skis.

Comment

Revolts are claimed to be great for the park...
            I see they are ranked high for park in the specifications table, but to my recollection, when reading on the forum park recommendations, my recollection is that there were other boards recommended ahead of the Revolts. Did a quick search to refresh my memory :-)

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
            New to ski boarding- what park boards should I get?!?!

As the only company that has a pro skiboard team, I would highly consider A RVL8 product. They have a line of skiboards specifically designed for park use. The KTPs, DLPs, ALPs and BWPs are named after pro riders who had input on the boards design. If you are on a budget, there are always used boards up for sale on the forum. Even a previously owned RVL8 product would be better quality and value than a new product from another company.

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post

The Slapdashes are a pro board, one of the originals. Not only were they specifically designed for the park, but, next to the KTPs, they are the stiffest board in the RVL8 line up. It always surprises me when they get recommended for beginners or females, as they are clearly more suited for the aggressive park rider. Since they were rebranded as Slapdashes, and received some less than masculine graphics, they seem to have been misrepresented as some kind of beginner product. And lets not forget, at under 100cm, they are one of the few "true" skiboards we make. Whatever they are, they are not the perfect board for your girlfriend. Given their design parameters, it's not surprising people find the ride harsh and have trouble with them on hard pack groomers.

I have a pair, and despite their shortcomings will never sell them. Why, because they epitomize the minimalist attitude.

https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...066-dlp-vs-ktp

Originally posted by Fun Machine View Post

I have not ridden the Spliffs so can't offer a comparison. DLPs are fantastic boards in the park. If you ride mostly east coast ice then DLPs do very well especially when pushed hard. But they are not the best option when it all melts into slush. You might also want to look at KTPs. I find them more forgiving than DLPs for my physique. But you can't go wrong either way.

https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...y-a-park-board

But I don't do park, so I can be completely wrong, I'll let people that do to recommend from their experience. Revolts are a great board anyway, you won't regret getting one.

Comment

I had to wait almost a month for the Crossbows to clear customs There are some new EU rules that our post is struggling to comply with But yes, I will consider the Twoowts. I am leaning towards the Uprise, second choice is Twoowt and third is to just get cheap Mantrax and don't care if I break them quickly
              Getting back to you on the Twoowt as a heads up, in France they got quickly though customs, but to my big surprise the tax was 40% of the price !!!! I was expecting to be around 20%, by what I've read on official pages ... So make sure you check and double check your countries regulations, I was expecting to be significantly cheaper than getting boards from US, but it wasn't ...

Comment

The slow customs thing is specific for my country - as of last year all customs documents should be done electronically (no more paper customs declaration) and the local post office is struggling with that requirement

Otherwise, for the Crossbows I paid 20% vat and something like 5-6% customs, so about 25% total, I'd guess it will be the same for Twoowt.

Anyway, my plan is to get the Eman Uprise, possibly in the next few days...

Comment

Just get the KTP’s... question... does customs declaration have to be EVERYTHING shipped in? Or just things you’ve purchased? What if someone from the states were to send you a package? Same issues?? I didn’t bother reading the 60+ replies...

But just thought maybe a work around would be to have someone in the US get them and ship them to you, say, as a gift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The threshold for vat is 30$ for packets send by a business and 70$ for those sent by a person. For customs its about 160$ for both, but vat is the bigger percentage anyway.
                    I can get the kTPs from the czech shop btw, but I already bought the crossbows this season so I am looking for stg cheaper and the Ema Uprise is 110 eur less than the KTP

Comment

The Emans have arrived! On first sight they seem to be very nice and high quality skiboards! I can't wait to try them this weekend.

I think I didnt mention before, but one of the reasons I chose them, was because they have inserts for direct mount of Tyrolia Attack. While I understand the need of the riser because of not being able to drill the thin core of skiboards, putting inserts for direct mount actually seems a great idea to me, as inserts don't require to make the skiboards thick. In fact, the Emans are not thicker than my Crossbows in the area where the binding inserts are located, so it seems to be technically possible to put such inserts in the Crossbows and perhaps most other skiboards. It does limit you to a certain model of bindings, yes, but it saves almost a third of the weight of the whole setup!

So I am planning to get some Tyrollia attacks for next season and test this setup as well. Kinda bummed I didn't get the Crossbows with the tyrollia attack, but chose the lighter SP instead...

Comment

Are you sure the insets are for release bindings? I've never heard of this before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

The inserts are specifically made for the Tyrolia Attack bindings, but be careful! I broke mine last year (both boards) right behind the bindings. I think the flex area was too short and therefore every tail-heavy landing or just riding a bit back in general puts too much stress on the boards. They were both identically broken, so it must have been due to the bindings. This year I ride Eman Uprises with spruce risers and they also seem to work a bit better performance-wise.

Comment

While I understand the need of the riser because of not being able to drill the thin core of skiboards, putting inserts for direct mount actually seems a great idea to me, as inserts don't require to make the skiboards thick. In fact, the Emans are not thicker than my Crossbows in the area where the binding inserts are located, so it seems to be technically possible to put such inserts in the Crossbows and perhaps most other skiboards.
                            Hmmm ... I don't think this is the reasoning behind it, but rather the will to cut-off the "middle man", as if making it look like one doesn't need to use risers. This would make it more appealing for buyers, but I'm not convinced it's the right choice. I rather belive the other way around ... Knowing how thorough Greco and Jeff are and how much time, thought, experiment and testing was put into designing the RVL8 and Spruce skiboards, I am convinced that they would not have not came up with risers if direct mount would have been a better solution ... I think there is even a sticky on the forum about that someplace ...

Edit: This: https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...into-skiboards

Comment

Originally posted by Ruben View Post
                              The inserts are specifically made for the Tyrolia Attack bindings, but be careful! I broke mine last year (both boards) right behind the bindings. I think the flex area was too short and therefore every tail-heavy landing or just riding a bit back in general puts too much stress on the boards. They were both identically broken, so it must have been due to the bindings. This year I ride Eman Uprises with spruce risers and they also seem to work a bit better performance-wise.
                              OK thanks for the info, this is interesting. Did you discuss this with the guy at the shop? I just measured the thickness - the Crossbows are 10mm at all inserts, while the Uprise is 11,10,9 and 8 at the 4 different direct mount areas. 8 is the one at the back , so you could be right. But it could be just the board design, as it gets very thin at the tails so I would guess it cannot sustain that much force at the tails regardless of bindings?

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post

Hmmm ... I don't think this is the reasoning behind it, but rather the will to cut-off the "middle man", as if making it look like one doesn't need to use risers. This would make it more appealing for buyers, but I'm not convinced it's the right choice. I rather belive the other way around ... Knowing how thorough Greco and Jeff are and how much time, thought, experiment and testing was put into designing the RVL8 and Spruce skiboards, I am convinced that they would not have not came up with risers if direct mount would have been a better solution ... I think there is even a sticky on the forum about that someplace ...
                                Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising them in any way, I love my Crossbows and I am eager to get Rvl8 boards in the future as well. The riser makes perfect sense in many cases - for all those wider boards i.e. , where you will have hard time carving without it, or for all the shorter boards. But there are still times I would rather not have a riser - both to be a bit more lightweight and to be closer to the boards. I am just starting in the park, but that's one place I don't feel that comfortable with a riser. I know most here that do park use non-release, but I am too afraid to go that route Also, for people outside the US and Russia the riser plate setup is much more difficult and expensive to buy... They are basically not available and the only option is to import from one of those 2 countries.

Hence, I am still thinking about alternatives to the riser and this seems a way to do it, maybe not on 104 cm boards (as Ruben has broken them), but at least on 110+ boards? Anyway, I will be riding the Uprise with the riser for the time being anyway. Then next season I might just source some cheap second hand Attack2's and try it out to see the difference.

I know this thread, I've read it several times. Drilling is out of the question for me (although a lot of people are happy with their Summit boards), but here we are talking about direct mount with inserts.

Comment

Working...
                                X