Ski boot questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
    Nice scoop! That's my ride... they still feel like ski boots, but they're rock solid.
    Thanks man. The XPro 80 is great, but I’m hoping the 120 liner adds even more comfort and stability since it is a more moldable liner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Skis/Skiboards:
    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
    2012 Salomon SPK 90
    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post
      ..... When I was getting fit for them, thebfitter explained that the boot is not the expense when purchasing boots, that the liner is. ....
      The guts of the boots are a huge part of finding a perfect fit. Finding affordable moldable liners is a nice score. For me, my boot shells are cheap Technica Bonifides on the outside (previous season leftovers models) but are expensive Surefoot injection molded liners and custom measured footbeds on the inside.

A note on Surefoot (LINK) boots, I have commented on them previously on this forum and I don't normally recommend them when threads come up about boots for two reasons: 1) They are expensive & 2) Surefoot locations are limited. But if you are looking for perfect boots right from the start and have the budget Surefoot is an surefire choice. They guarantee that you'll love your boots and stand behind it.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
        The guts of the boots are a huge part of finding a perfect fit.
        The regular inserts that came with the boot are very comfortable, but even after just a few (5) days in them I can feel the padding on the tongue has already started to get a little thinner. The liners that I purchased have the moldable foam backing the tongue as well as around the calf area where I need it to really fit. My calfs are very large and I had a problem with other boots before these. There are about a cm too high, but it does not cause any issues, just a little pinch when I'm not careful about it. If I could shave a cm off the top of the boots and not ruin them I would.

Looking forward to getting the new liners. I will post pictures of them when they get here. Hopefully Saturday or Monday. They are only coming from about 2.5 hours from my house.
        Skis/Skiboards:
        2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
        2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
        2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
        2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
        20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
        2012 Salomon SPK 90
        2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
        2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

I just wanted to post back and follow up with what I settled with. After going to 3 boot fitters and trying on about 9 different pairs of boots, the most comfortable ones I tried were the Salomon X Pro 100. However, their price was way out of my budget. So I jumped online and found a really good deal from Level 9 Sports on last years model of the QST Pro 90. I ordered 27.5 which is what 2 of the 3 bootfitters put me in, and 28.5 that one younger bootfitter put me in. I planned to use their $7 return policy for whichever didn't fit.

After I received the boots, I tried the 27.5 boots for about 5 minutes before deciding they were just way too tight. I switched to the 28.5 and my toes didn't touch the front, it didn't squeeze my little toe, and everything just felt comfortable. After about 4 hours I was sure this was the right size - no pain at all. But just to make double sure, I tried the 27.5 boots on again. This time I forced myself to stay in them. After about 4 hours total over several days the initial tightness of the 27.5 boots was gone, and they were feeling decent. I had something hitting the inside of my ankles, so I threw my blue super feet insoles in them and that helped raise my foot above whatever was poking the ankle as well as help me not over-pronate as much. At this point I was unsure again as to whether the 27.5 was right or the 28.5. So I tried the 28.5 back on. Boy was that boot huge inside. I could now realize my heel was moving all over the place, I managed to slide my foot forward and back, and I could actually rotate my entire foot ever so slightly in the boot. At that point I settled on the 27.5. I'm just surprised it took so long for me to recognize how much movement I had in the 28.5.

So now that I've tried them out on the mountain, I wanted to address some of the areas I was first concerned about when I posted this thread.

Forward Lean - I'm not sure how much forward lean these have, but its definitely there. I think the initial calf/quad burn I felt at the boot fitter was just from me trying to figure out how to stand in the boots. I've not have any burn from any of the boots I've tried since that first trip to the boot fitter. After my first trip to the mountain using the boots, I definitely appreciate the forward lean they have. Sometimes I found myself unable to control the boards and realized I was completely upright or even leaning back some against the boots. Leaning forward again, into the normal lean of the boots allowed me to regain control of the boards. So to sum it up, I don't know how much forward lean is too much for skiboards, but so far the lean these boots have is good for me.

Walk mode - eh, I used it some times and didn't use it others. I felt no need to use it when I was actually skiing, which is probably good as I'm sure its not meant for that. But just for walking from the car to the slopes or into the cafe to get a coffee, it was nice but not a necessity by any means.

Size - This seemed to trip me up the most, and I learned that trying the boots on for 15 or 20 minutes at a shop just didn't work for me. I needed hours to really decide. I won't restate everything I said above, but if I only had 20 minutes to try the boots on I would have gone with the 28.5 and probably been disappointed on the slopes. Even the 27.5 loosened up some after the first day on the mountain.

Flex - I went middle of the road here, ended up with 90 flex boots. So far so good. I'm not experienced enough yet to say if I need stiffer to softer boots, but can definitely say I'm happy for now with these 90 flex boots.

Comfort - like everyone said, this played first in my decision. I tried 9 pairs to find one that felt the best, but since it was out of my price range had to find another pair that was built on the same last. I was lucky and found one in my price range. Its a little strange, but the boots were actually MORE comfortable skiing in them than wearing them around the house or standing in them in 'ski position'. In the house I could complain about a little too much pressure on my little toe, or my shin having some tenderness after an hour, or my ankles hurting. But on the mountain all that went away.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for everyone who chipped in to help out! I appreciate it!!

Comment

Glad the boots worked out for you! Sounds like your thorough approach paid off.

Keeping your weight centred over the boards really helps in most conditions (besides deep powder), which you found out pretty quickly. The nice thing with the shorter length of a skiboard is that fairly subtle weight shifts can make a big difference to your ride, so play around with it to see what suits you.

Also great to hear that the boots are more comfortable on the slopes than at home... that's a bonus!
            BOARDSLAYER
            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
            X