Let’s talk softboot setups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let’s talk softboot setups!

When I discovered skiboards, I was really attracted to the concept by the possibility of using the snowboard bindings I already owned. Of course, I discovered that a third strap at the top was helpful, and added a skiing “booster strap”, which is just a manual strap I add at the top (not attached to the binding). Better than nothing, and I can’t complain.

But now I’m in the market for another set for my quiver. The softboot bindings on SBOL and the Technine on skiboards.com are designed for men, which puts my women’s size 6.5 or 7 boot outside (or right on the lower cusp) of the range. I rented the Technine’s, and they were WAY too big. Toe strap would not stay on, and lots of side-to-side space. Let’s just say that when you’re not attached to the boards, it becomes an “excrement extravaganza” real quick .

So, what to do? I’m hesitant on whether the current RVL8 softboot setup will be small enough. Any women in the group riding these? Would love to hear from you all!

I’m considering whether I’d be better off getting women’s bindings and adding the SBOL conversion kit. More expensive to go that route, for sure. But.....I tend to keep my gear for a long time, so...maybe not such a big deal to pay more for the right solution. Any thoughts on the Union Legacy? Someone local has a new pair for sale on Craigslist. Would save me some $$ so I could get the conversion kit more affordably.
    Other women’s bindings you favor? Sometimes difficult to find aluminum heel cups, stiff Highback, and no canted footbeds.

Have you reached out to Greco?

If you go to the skiboardsonline.com store and start a chat you should get thru to someone who can help make some recommendations.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Skiboard Connection
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSkiboardConnection/

Comment

Hmm... that's a tough one. My wife uses flows on her snowboard (since she started) and just has no desire to switch from it so I never had to research or shop for women's bindings. I think the RVL8 Softboot bindings is offered in two sizes. The Small/Medium one should fit you if it fits Men's 6-9 (My wife tells me a size 7 in womens is a size 6 in Mens). You'll just have a lot of extra strap sticking out after buckling up.

If you'd rather still find your own binding and add the RVL8 wings and riser but are having trouble finding a stout binding, I know Ride is one of the diehards sticking to aluminum heel cups & base. Probably would give you the stiffest, most solid platform for the conversion. Maybe something like the Capo?

I think that's a male binding but I believe a medium version of it will fit you. But I'm unsure if you can get it without a canted footbed though. If it's only mindly canted like 1 degree (burton seems to use that), it's so minor, I don't think that will affect you negatively. But anything like 2.5 degrees up is pretty noticeable so...

I know Rome bindings give you multiple EVA Footbeds, one of them being 0 degrees canted. Maybe you can shop their offerings and convert it. Something like the Rome Katanas would be absolutely siiiick, lol!

Of course, it's a bad time to shop for gear... all those meaty end-of-season sized discounts are nowhere to be found. If the used set of Union Legacy's are that good of a deal, they appear to be all nylon/plastic, but with a stiff highback... they'd probably work well enough. I do love Union bindings.

Comment

If you REALLY want to get fancy, and enjoy all the comforts and convenience of a softboot setup, you can always be the first to convert Burton's new "Step On" bindings. You'd have to buy their boot too so we're talking at least $550 for the setup. Oh yah, and the RVL8 softboot conversion kit so $700-800 total. But you'd be the talk of the resort, that's for sure. Everytime I take my skiboards at my resort, I'm *constantly* being asked about them. Imagine pulling up the leg of your pants to not only reveal a skiboard but with a modified, Burton 'Step On' Snowboard binding/boot setup. Minds blown, lol!

Comment

Kwilliams, I used to have the K2 Clicker bindings on my snowboard “back in the day”. I loved the convenience of them, but I couldn’t find boots that really fit my foot properly, so I always had a lot of play and heel lift going on. Burton’s new version looks cool, but I don’t think I’m ready to limit myself to one boot manufacturer at this point. Plus, then others wouldn’t be able to just hop on my boards and try them.

If you decide to try these out, let us know. I think I’ll let someone else blaze that particular trail.

Comment

I reached out to Greco on the online chat. I ordered the FiveForty (Snowjam) softboot binding, in the Medium, which goes down to men’s size 6 (equivalent to women’s 7). Greco said he can modify it with smaller straps to accommodate my smaller boot size. Once they arrive, I’ll try them on with my boots, and let you all know how it fits. Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
            X