DPS Phantom Permanent Base Glide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
    Here is a Blister Gear initial review on DPS Phantom: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...lide-treatment
    Good podcast. It's nice to hear from the engineer who developed it on what is actually involved with the product (they had me at "functional groups"). They were pretty realistic in representing what the product is meant to do and is capable of, performance wise - not saying that it's faster than a good wax job, but that it's as least as good as a general all-temperature wax, and it's a one time application (that actually sounds as quick as waxing).

I guess my only question is, why haven't ski companies tweaked the chemistry of their bases to do the same thing, before now? This is about changing the structure of the ptex polymer, from the sounds of it. I imagine DPS themselves will be pre-treating their bases as a matter of course on new skis; it will be interesting to see if this remains as a stand-alone treatment or becomes the new industry standard for base materials (likely both).

I see that MEC is already selling the treatment, so I'd be pretty interested in applying it next season after giving both sets of boards their first stone grind.

Keep us posted on how it rides in the spring slush!
    BOARDSLAYER
    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
      Keep us posted on how it rides in the spring slush!
      I’m currently skiing slush at Elk Mountain. It’s been 50+ degrees F for several days straight and last nights lows were still in the 50’s with lots of rain. I’m riding my Spruce Crossbows treated with the DPS Phantom and could not be happier. These glide awesome! I feel like I’m on a freshly waxed board mid-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m currently skiing slush at Elk Mountain. It’s been 50+ degrees F for several days straight and last nights lows were still in the 50’s with lots of rain. I’m riding my Spruce Crossbows treated with the DPS Phantom and could not be happier. These glide awesome! I feel like I’m on a freshly waxed board mid-season
        I just switched out to skis that have been treated with Dominator Butter (best slush rub-on wax there is) that was applied according to the preferred methods (fresh hot wax and scrape, then apply Butter, cork in, brush). I can’t really tell a difference between my boards with DPS and my skis with Dominator Butter. A better comparison would be on same size boards because the skis I’m riding have more surface area and that might slow them down some, but I’m pretty much a fan of the DPS. No more waxing for me after I convert all my equipment

Comment

I just switched out to skis that have been treated with Dominator Butter (best slush rub-on there is) that was applied according to the preferred methods (fresh hot wax and scrape, then apply Butter, cork in, brush). I can’t really tell a difference between my boards with DPS and my skis with Dominator Butter. A better comparison would be on same size boards because the skis I’m riding have more surface area and that might slow them down some, but I’m pretty much a fan of the DPS. No more waxing for me after I convert all my equipment
          Nice to hear that it works. Now are you gonna sell that Dominator butter? I’ve been wanting to try that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tom91381 View Post
            Now are you gonna sell that Dominator butter? I’ve been wanting to try that
            Sorry, I need to keep the Butter until I get DPS Phantom on all my rides

Comment

Sorry, I need to keep the Butter until I get DPS Phantom on all my rides
              Good to hear that Dominator butter is about as good. I used it yesterday at Heavenly on Sherpas and Ospreys with great results. I rub in on and cork it in on the slopes when the snow gets grabbed. It was in the mid 50's yesterday. I started out in the morning with Hertel spring wax. It was 30 degrees then. The Hertel worked great until it got really warm. Use the two of these waxes and you will enjoy spring skiing. Don't use the Dominator too early in the morning as it's very soft and won't hold up. The Hertel will hold up in the morning. I rub it on and cork it in also.
              Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
              Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
              Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
              History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

No more waxing for me after I convert all my equipment
                Big thanks for the heads up and doing all the test pilot work here, Tom. Waxing is tedious and messy and I despise it. However, it's sometimes necessary. In certain conditions and especially on flats where glide is critical, it's not hard to tell who the diligent waxers are (Wendell, for example).

I finally got off my billfold and ordered a couple of DPS Phantom kits. The instructions indicate best results by stone grinding before application, with a thorough base cleaning the next best way. Did you go the stone grinding or cleaning route with yours?

Comment

DPS Phantom Permanent Base Glide

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  Big thanks for the heads up and doing all the test pilot work here, Tom. Waxing is tedious and messy and I despise it. However, it's sometimes necessary. In certain conditions and especially on flats where glide is critical, it's not hard to tell who the diligent waxers are (Wendell, for example).

I finally got off my billfold and ordered a couple of DPS Phantom kits. The instructions indicate best results by stone grinding before application, with a thorough base cleaning the next best way. Did you go the stone grinding or cleaning route with yours?
                  I skied my boards until they were pretty dry, then used citrus/orange based ski wax remover making sure to get out all layers of wax. I had no problems with this method because I was diligent and willing to go over and over the bases until all wax was gone.

I am glad to be done waxing. The only test I haven’t been able to do is 70 degree F Tahoe/Utah slush skiing. I figure worst case scenario is if I need to do a rub-on of Dominator Butter in those kinds of conditions then no big deal. But, I’m in slush again today and they are doing excellent!

Comment

I skied my boards until they were pretty dry, then used citrus/orange based ski wax remover making sure to get out all layers of wax. I had no problems with this method because I was diligent and willing to go over and over the bases until all wax was gone.

I am glad to be done waxing. The only test I haven’t been able to do is 70 degree F Tahoe/Utah slush skiing. I figure worst case scenario is if I need to do a rub-on of Dominator Butter in those kinds of conditions then no big deal. But, I’m in slush again today and they are doing excellent
                    Cool. I know how to get bases good and clean, but have no easy access to a stonegrinding machine or a competent shop that does this work.

The best, easiest and most convenient base cleaner I've found is the citrus-based aerosol brake parts cleaner sold at auto parts stores. It works like magic. Don't use chlorinated BPC! It's a terrific degreaser on metal but destroys plastic.

Comment

The Blister Gear Review Team has had the chance to get more of their reviewers out on Phantom treated skis: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...lide-treatment

Comment

I use DPS Phantom on some my skiboards, its woks fine.
                        I used 1/2 DPS set, 1white+1red sachet, for Spliff+Osprey+Shaman161
                        But too difficult to have good condition for apply - sun and not cold
                        180cm/100kg
                        Icelantic Shaman 2008 161cm/12m 160/110/130mm - favorite ski
                        RVL8 Spliff 2016 109cm/6.5m 155/130/155mm - favorite skiboard
                        Spruce Sherpa 2017 132cm/7.2m 160/112/145mm - favorite skiboard
                        Icelantic Scout 2008 143cm/12m 140/105/130mm
                        Dupraz 179cm - favorite snowboard

Comment

Updates??

How's the Phantom holding up after a couple of years?

I don't wax much anyways, but a one-time treatment still sounds appealing.
                          BOARDSLAYER
                          Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
                            Updates??

How's the Phantom holding up after a couple of years?

I don't wax much anyways, but a one-time treatment still sounds appealing.
                            Love it! Haven’t waxed a ski in 3 seasons!!! I will buy it for every set of skis I ever buy!

Comment

Cool, thanks for the update!

I'll look at getting some after this season... boards might need a base grind first. ; )
                              BOARDSLAYER
                              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Love it! Haven’t waxed a ski in 3 seasons!!! I will buy it for every set of skis I ever buy!
                                How many boards can you do with a sachet of Phantom ? I guess it depends on length and width of the boards, but could you easily do ... 2 pairs ? 3 ? 4 is probably unlikely
                                Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
                                Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
                                Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Working...
                                X