Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any benefit to riding extra long non-release bindings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any benefit to riding extra long non-release bindings?

For all the gearheads/ski physics people, is there any benefit to riding with bindings that are extra long if you don't need the extra length?

I just picked up a pair of Twoowt Lions with Bomber Elite 2s that happen to be the XL version. I don't need the extra length (I have BE2s of standard length as well), but was wondering if there were any benefits/detriments to having the base of the binding longer than necessary. If there aren't I might put em up for sale for those who actually need the length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Toro View Post
    For all the gearheads/ski physics people, is there any benefit to riding with bindings that are extra long if you don't need the extra length?

I just picked up a pair of Twoowt Lions with Bomber Elite 2s that happen to be the XL version. I don't need the extra length (I have BE2s of standard length as well), but was wondering if there were any benefits/detriments to having the base of the binding longer than necessary. If there aren't I might put em up for sale for those who actually need the length.
    No. Why would you want to restrict the flex of the skiboards by having a longer than necessary base on the bindings?
    Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
    Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
    Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
      No. Why would you want to restrict the flex of the skiboards by having a longer than necessary base on the bindings?
      Yes. Use the longer bindings if you DO want to restrict the flex of your boards. While you are extending the "dead zone" of no flex you'll increase the stiffness of the remaining unrestricted length. A stiffer board should hold an edge better on ice. I would suggest you try both sets of bindings and see how the boards perform.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
        Yes. Use the longer bindings if you DO want to restrict the flex of your boards. While you are extending the "dead zone" of no flex you'll increase the stiffness of the remaining unrestricted length. A stiffer board should hold an edge better on ice. I would suggest you try both sets of bindings and see how the boards perform.
        After I posted my original reply, I did a bit more research on the Bomber Elite 2 bindings (pictured below) and realised that the main point of contact with the skiboards is confined to the area around the skiboard's threaded inserts. The outer ends of the bindings rest on the skiboards via rubber bumpers so the stiffening effect probably isn't as much as some other non-release bindings which generally have a sheet of rubber under the whole of the aluminium top plates. I guess that some folk may even use the Bomber Elite 2 bindings without their rubber end bumpers?

Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
          Yes. Use the longer bindings if you DO want to restrict the flex of your boards.
          Thanks, Wookie. I do like my boards stiff so I will try them on boards I might find too flex-y and see if there's a difference.

I guess that some folk may even use the Bomber Elite 2 bindings without their rubber end bumpers?
          Off topic, but I think the leverage you would have fore and aft would put a lot of stress on the screws/center plate. If anyone actually does do this I'd be curious to hear about the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is one of the things that makes skiboarding unique; we get to ignore traditional equipment conventions and do our own thing. So, try both set ups and pick the one that suits you the best. Right and wrong is for skiers.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

After I posted my original reply, I did a bit more research on the Bomber Elite 2 bindings (pictured below) and realised that the main point of contact with the skiboards is confined to the area around the skiboard's threaded inserts. The outer ends of the bindings rest on the skiboards via rubber bumpers so the stiffening effect probably isn't as much as some other non-release bindings which generally have a sheet of rubber under the whole of the aluminium top plates. I guess that some folk may even use the Bomber Elite 2 bindings without their rubber end bumpers?
              Be careful Toro, some rubber ages over time so the end bumpers may have lost their elasticity and hardened up.
              I've bought old, rear-entry ski boots where the rubber parts on the soles have become as brittle as chocolate.
              Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

I guess that some folk may even use the Bomber Elite 2 bindings without their rubber end bumpers?
                Given the low (1/4 inch or so) rise height of the Bomber center disc, I imagine the terminal ends of the binding would strike hard and frequently, causing certain damage to the skiboard top if used without the bumpers. Slow and others have discarded the disc/bumper arrangement entirely using a conventional full length rubber pad in its place, but that doesn't really change the effective contact length.

The contact length of Spruce Risers is actually shorter than typical nonrelease bindings---just a bit over 10cm. Given the provision for 4x10 inserts, that's as short as it's possible to go. On some 4x4-specific softboot risers, I've played around with even shorter contact lengths. The extra suspension seems to be a net plus, at least for me. I tend to prefer boards on the flexy side.

Comment

Flexy boards

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  Given the low (1/4 inch or so) rise height of the Bomber center disc, I imagine the terminal ends of the binding would strike hard and frequently, causing certain damage to the skiboard top if used without the bumpers. Slow and others have discarded the disc/bumper arrangement entirely using a conventional full length rubber pad in its place, but that doesn't really change the effective contact length.

The contact length of Spruce Risers is actually shorter than typical nonrelease bindings---just a bit over 10cm. Given the provision for 4x10 inserts, that's as short as it's possible to go. On some 4x4-specific softboot risers, I've played around with even shorter contact lengths. The extra suspension seems to be a net plus, at least for me. I tend to prefer boards on the flexy side.
                  Flexy skiboards? I love them too, Bill. Blunt XLs and Spruce Risers to let them flex.
                  Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

My experience with stiff bindings is that skiboards have been known to snap right behind the bindings. I had lots of snapping behind the bindings until I switched to super soft canon bindings. Although I don't think this is particularly common for most people.
                    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Working...
                    X