Origin of Non-Release bindings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of Non-Release bindings?

Who created the non-release binding? I have googled extensively but cannot find an answer at all. All ski binding history I have found obviously relates to release bindings. I don't think Line would've invented it but curious where the design came from. It's simple and brilliant.

I know the forum is in a summer slumber, but hopefully the remaining members can answer this. It's been nagging at me for a while for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Toro View Post
    Who created the non-release binding? .....
    I doubt you will find an answer to this. You may find information on the creators of specific modern non-release binding models but fixed bindings were likely created at the same time skis were invented. All early ski bindings were non-release and, after all, you don't have skis if you can't hold them to your feet. Alpine ski bindings likely developed as a evolution of Nordic ski bindings and snowshoe bindings.

For our modern skiboard non release binding I would guess much of the design can be linked to hard boot snowboard bindings as the evolution goes a little like this:
    1. Skiing and skiboots exist
    2. Snowboarding is invented but ridden like surfboards (no bindings)
    3. Snowboarders find they need to be connected to their boards
    4. Snowboarders borrow from their skiing cousins and develop ways to connect skiboots to snowboards
    5. This gives you the modern skiboot non-release binding. Versions of this exist on short skis but they are outliers.
    6. As snowboard parks develop skiers want to try them out and design short twin tip skis to use in parks
    7. These short twin tips borrow the fixed bindings from their snowboarding cousins
    8. Snowboarding drifts away from hardboots but skiboarding retains the design and during the skiboard boom in the 90s companies like Canon, Line, etc. create their own branded non-release bindings.

Who invented the first ski binding? Who knows. I have a good friend that is a patent and trademark attorney and he always says that no one person every really fully invents an idea. Inventors are just people that take existing concepts and leap them forward in a unique way. So the true inventor was likely some Norse tribesman that got tired of walking down the mountain on his snowshoes, strapped two planks to his feet, and slid home. His wife likely invented the first non-release binding after he blew out his knee skiing home on the 2nd day.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
      ...fixed bindings were likely created at the same time skis were invented.

So the true inventor was likely some Norse tribesman that got tired of walking down the mountain on his snowshoes, strapped two planks to his feet, and slid home. His wife likely invented the first non-release binding after he blew out his knee skiing home on the 2nd day.
      And not just the Norse, but any tribesman in an area with lots of snow who wanted to get from point a to point b without exhausting himself in the process. Here's a nifty photo album showing a people who still use skis as a tool for survival...but they appear to be having fun as well!
      Sticky Icky Ickys (I think I'm in love )
      Spruce 120's (they served me well)
      Trikke Skki

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
        For our modern skiboard non release binding I would guess much of the design can be linked to hard boot snowboard bindings as the evolution goes a little like this:
        Thanks, Wookie! Wasn't looking necessarily for the inventor, just how they came about. Didn't even think to look up snowboard binding evolution, but that makes a lot of sense. Found out there is a subset of bindings called plate bindings for hard snowboard boots that are definitely the origination of skiboard bindings. I suppose some part of me knew this since Bomber makes these for snowboards, but never put the two together.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukuvox View Post
          And not just the Norse, but any tribesman in an area with lots of snow who wanted to get from point a to point b without exhausting himself in the process. Here's a nifty photo album showing a people who still use skis as a tool for survival...but they appear to be having fun as well!
          Cool photos. I think jjue shared some video of these guys in action riding their wood planks with tiller steering.

Note: The Norse example was not to say the Norseman invented skiing. I am sure anywhere there was snow, pitched hills, and two primitive male humans that have developed the vocabulary to "dare" each other to do something you will find skiing. If that tribe has discovered how fermentation works you will find ski jumping and cave paintings of the women of the tribe shaking their heads in disapproval. Autopsy of the remains of these primitive human would also likely show knee, ankle, and head injuries but they died having fun.
          Boards:
          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Toro View Post
            Who created the non-release binding? I have googled extensively but cannot find an answer at all. All ski binding history I have found obviously relates to release bindings. I don't think Line would've invented it but curious where the design came from. It's simple and brilliant.

I know the forum is in a summer slumber, but hopefully the remaining members can answer this. It's been nagging at me for a while for some reason.

This went really off the handle.

To answer your question directly, modern day non release skiboard bindings are redesigned hard boot snowboard bindings.

33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ead.php?t=3618

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                [urlhttps://www.skiboardsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3618[/url]

Comment

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ead.php?t=3618 Line partnered with Catek very early on to create modern 4x4 skiboard bindings. Before that skiboards were using plastic two hole bindings.

Comment

I'm sorry for the strange replies, I can't figure out how to edit a post using Tapatalk.

Comment

I'm sorry for the strange replies, I can't figure out how to edit a post using Tapatalk.

Long press on the post then select the little pencil that appears at the top I think

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                      Crossbow (go to dream board)
                      Most everything else over time.
                      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                        Long press on the post then select the little pencil that appears at the top I think

I thought so too but it's not working

Comment

I guess you know to click the arrow to resubmit the edit

Crossbow (go to dream board)
                          Most everything else over time.
                          Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                            I guess you know to click the arrow to resubmit the edit

I can't even get to that point.

Comment

I can't even get to that point.

I just figured out, It's a single quick press now.
                              Edit: I had been doing long press because that's what it used to be.

Last edited by Greco; 04-23-2017, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X