Make the Case: Blunt XL or Rockered Condors in Deeper Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make the Case: Blunt XL or Rockered Condors in Deeper Snow

The SII "Make the Case" thread turned out to be quite interesting. It also resulted in me laying down the cash for a pair of SII's. I am interested in hearing a "Make the Case" for either Blunt XL or Rockered Condors in deeper snow. No other boards need apply - just one of those. By deeper snow I mean deeper snow from an East Coast perspective - say anything more than 3 inches of fresh snow up to just below the knee. Anything from Champagne Powder to Sierra Cement. Assume conditions that get skied off fairly quickly so need the ability to navigate fresh snow>frozen hard pack>piles of skied off snow. Moguls on the menu - from mini-bumps to mini-vans. Skiing approach is more turns for the dollar and not hell bent for leather (even though that was an awesome Priest album...).
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

I think Macro made the case for both the RC and the XL by selling me his Ospreys and keeping both his shorties

Replying here mainly to get on the notification for this thread as I have similar questions about the short powder boards.

Comment

I'm all packed for tomorrow's adventures - off to whichever resort is brave enough to open during the state of emergency that was already called by Governor Wolf. We are expecting up to 30" locally with snowfall rates as high as 3-4" per hour in the morning. I've got two sets of boards packed - Armada Triple J's and Rockered Condors. . . Oh, you mentioned 3" not 30". . .

Here is a post of mine from another thread that might give some insight:

Yes, I've had the RC's in the trees quite a bit last season. . .

My "In the Trees" ratings of the boards/skis in question:

Skiboard Length
      Tied for first place: BluntXL's and RC's
      Second place: Ospreys

Short Ski Length
      Tied for first place: Ospreys, Triple J's, and E2's

What 2 sets of boards/skis would I bring to the mountain on a deep powder day where I would spend some of it in the trees?
      Triple J's and RC's

What 2 sets of boards/skis would I bring to the mountain on a mixed day of groomers/trees/smaller-powder-stashes ?
      Ospreys and E2's

Would I be comfortable on all of these boards/skis in any condition (including ice, powder, soft, hardpack, etc.) and changing conditions?
      Yes

Currently if I could only have 3 boards/skis in my quiver which would I choose?
      RC's, Triple J's, E2's in no particular order (but it would be really tough to give up my XL's so I might need a "ski off" between those and the RC's)

Comment

I have a decent number of boards but my XLs are my favorite all around boards in almost any terrain and are used the most. They float in west and east coast powder and crud, turn quickly on moguls, and just make up for shortfalls on ice groomers, park etc with the super fun factor. I think XLs are a "must have" that pairs well with any of the narrower cambered boards or short skis especially for east coasters. I haven't tried RCs but would guess that they sacrifice some fun for more float.

Comment

It doesn't exactly answer the question, but I think the XLs perfectly compliment the Ickys for a short board quiver of two. It's all I took on our ten day Utah trip and and never felt the need for any other skis or boards. If you like to go short, It's a great combination.
          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
            Anything from Champagne Powder to Sierra Cement. Assume conditions that get skied off fairly quickly so need the ability to navigate fresh snow>frozen hard pack>piles of skied off snow. Moguls on the menu - from mini-bumps to mini-vans.
            Both boards can be made to work in all conditions. With that said, the XLs are more suited for everything. The RCs are built mainly for powder. That's what they handle like no other. If I had to, I would part with the RCs before parting with the XLs.
            Boards/Bindings:
            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Working...
            X