Sticky Icky Icky - Make the Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky Icky Icky - Make the Case

One of the great things about this small community of riders who love skiboards and all things short one can strap on two feet and ride is the enthusiasm for new gear. It is great to see people get behind new concepts and boards that come out - like the zero camber, rockered boards. Miles on the snow and new developments sometimes blunt (pun intended maybe) the enthusiasm for some of the favored boards over time. Only natural in a way - the more you learn about something in all sorts of conditions and use scenarios, the more your opinion can be shaped over time.

The latest board that seems to have a very good reception is the Sticky Icky Icky. For those of you who have ridden this board quite a bit so far, make the case for why this board is "the one" and why you think this impression is likely to stick (pun definitely intended) over the long run. Interested to hear the thoughts on this. Think of this from the perspective of person contemplating putting down over $500 for a Spruce riser and set of Sticky Icky Ickys.
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

So much has been written about the Ickys on the forum, it seems redundant to reproduce it here. At some point you have to look at the overwhelming evidence of those who have ridden them and decide if you trust in our opinion and taste.

I think to a man, all Ickyists would advise you you just buy the boards, as we know what the results will be. The Ickys are the true all mountain board we have been waiting for.
    That is why I have sold everything else. The search is over.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
      One of the great things about this small community of riders who love skiboards and all things short one can strap on two feet and ride is the enthusiasm for new gear. It is great to see people get behind new concepts and boards that come out - like the zero camber, rockered boards. Miles on the snow and new developments sometimes blunt (pun intended maybe) the enthusiasm for some of the favored boards over time. Only natural in a way - the more you learn about something in all sorts of conditions and use scenarios, the more your opinion can be shaped over time.

The latest board that seems to have a very good reception is the Sticky Icky Icky. For those of you who have ridden this board quite a bit so far, make the case for why this board is "the one" and why you think this impression is likely to stick over the long run. Interested to hear the thoughts on this. Think of this from the perspective of person contemplating putting down over $500 for a Spruce riser and set of Sticky Icky Ickys.
      Yeah, like this is going to be easy[emoji45]

To get to it, I have to back up right to the beginning. I first had Snowblades, Salomon Minimax, and Fischer XLs. They were fabulous things to ride, nice slack sidecut, carving demons. But of course, limited by being so narrow. Not all the time, but soft snow was difficult and tiring, as was off piste, but there was no denying the delight of something so small, light, and simple. Also, the liberation of not having to muck around with poles.
      Several suppliers attempted to produce wider boards, and rebranded them Skiboards. Most notable were Line and Canon. At least they managed to get some product to market.
      Around that time, a deeply misguided marketing ploy was to be able to advertise a big difference between waist and tip width, and the era of insane sidecut was born.
      SBOL came to market a little after a company called Mix. Mix, big promises, zero product, but SBOL came thru with a ground breaking board called the Revolt.
      Those original Revolts were really special. For the time, they were really wide, and they had very low profile tips like the XLs of today, and of course they were, controversially, 105 in length.
      Overall, they had brilliant performance, both in absolute terms, and also in terms of the products available at the time. It was, for me at least, a kind of magic size. I think I described them at the time as a little more of everything without being too much of anything.
      I still feel that way, and even now, years later, feel the Revolt is probably the best all rounder ever. Except for one thing: the steep sidecut led to hooking, a horrid characteristic where the board dictates the turn radius to the rider instead of the other way round. We overcame this to a large degree by detuning the tips and mounting set back.
      But it wasn't until the rockered boards that the problem was largely overcome.
      Design in recent years has concentrated on much wider boards, especially if rocker was required to tame the sidecut. These wider boards have charms of their own, but they are certainly not the ultra carvers I was really looking for.
      Then came the Stickies, and suddenly I have it all. An ultra carver with the lovely neutral handling of those early Snowblades, but with more base area and a little longer. Set back is built in, so apart from the dismal graphics and childish naming, what's not to like?
      Much better edge hold than the wider boards, much better manners than the original boards, all in a package with enough size to ride All Mountain.
      It's been something of a journey, but I finally feel I am satisfied with a board.
      And one more delight, the board works really well both a low and high speed. For a rider like me who likes to kick back sometimes and just cruise for miles, this is brilliant, and the bit that was missing a little in the Spliff, another great board, but one which works best when driven hard.
      This well mannered behaviour has a side effect : the boards tend to be self teaching for someone looking to improve their skills.
      I just love em . . .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
        Yeah, like this is going to be easy[emoji45]

To get to it, I have to back up right to the beginning. I first had Snowblades, Salomon Minimax, and Fischer XLs. They were fabulous things to ride, nice slack sidecut, carving demons. But of course, limited by being so narrow. Not all the time, but soft snow was difficult and tiring, as was off piste, but there was no denying the delight of something so small, light, and simple. Also, the liberation of not having to muck around with poles.
        Several suppliers attempted to produce wider boards, and rebranded them Skiboards. Most notable were Line and Canon. At least they managed to get some product to market.
        Around that time, a deeply misguided marketing ploy was to be able to advertise a big difference between waist and tip width, and the era of insane sidecut was born.
        SBOL came to market a little after a company called Mix. Mix, big promises, zero product, but SBOL came thru with a ground breaking board called the Revolt.
        Those original Revolts were really special. For the time, they were really wide, and they had very low profile tips like the XLs of today, and of course they were, controversially, 105 in length.
        Overall, they had brilliant performance, both in absolute terms, and also in terms of the products available at the time. It was, for me at least, a kind of magic size. I think I described them at the time as a little more of everything without being too much of anything.
        I still feel that way, and even now, years later, feel the Revolt is probably the best all rounder ever. Except for one thing: the steep sidecut led to hooking, a horrid characteristic where the board dictates the turn radius to the rider instead of the other way round. We overcame this to a large degree by detuning the tips and mounting set back.
        But it wasn't until the rockered boards that the problem was largely overcome.
        Design in recent years has concentrated on much wider boards, especially if rocker was required to tame the sidecut. These wider boards have charms of their own, but they are certainly not the ultra carvers I was really looking for.
        Then came the Stickies, and suddenly I have it all. An ultra carver with the lovely neutral handling of those early Snowblades, but with more base area and a little longer. Set back is built in, so apart from the dismal graphics and childish naming, what's not to like?
        Much better edge hold than the wider boards, much better manners than the original boards, all in a package with enough size to ride All Mountain.
        It's been something of a journey, but I finally feel I am satisfied with a board.
        And one more delight, the board works really well both a low and high speed. For a rider like me who likes to kick back sometimes and just cruise for miles, this is brilliant, and the bit that was missing a little in the Spliff, another great board, but one which works best when driven hard.
        This well mannered behaviour has a side effect : the boards tend to be self teaching for someone looking to improve their skills.
        I just love em . . .

Very well said. Love the historical context.
        In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
        Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Don't know how long it took, check with Greco, but the original Revolt must have been around twenty years ago. Damn I am old.

Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
            The latest board that seems to have a very good reception is the Sticky Icky Icky. For those of you who have ridden this board quite a bit so far, make the case for why this board is "the one" and why you think this impression is likely to stick (pun definitely intended) over the long run. Interested to hear the thoughts on this. Think of this from the perspective of person contemplating putting down over $500 for a Spruce riser and set of Sticky Icky Ickys.
            Why does it matter whether the Sticky's are "the one" for those who are raving about it? It may or may not be "the one" for that person who is contemplating putting down $500 for these boards and bindings - they have their own preferences, styles, skills, expectations and terrains that they will ride on. It's just too subjective. You have to choose the boards to fit the individual, not try to force the individual to fit a set of boards.

The history of skis/skiboards/snowboards so far has proven one thing for sure: there is continuous evolution, refinement and improvement over time. Sticky's may "stick" over some length of "run," but my bet is that something "better" will come along to take the "one" all-mountain crown, at least for a short while.

Comment

Originally posted by Fun Machine View Post
              Why does it matter whether the Sticky's are "the one" for those who are raving about it? It may or may not be "the one" for that person who is contemplating putting down $500 for these boards and bindings - they have their own preferences, styles, skills, expectations and terrains that they will ride on. It's just too subjective. You have to choose the boards to fit the individual, not try to force the individual to fit a set of boards.

The history of skis/skiboards/snowboards so far has proven one thing for sure: there is continuous evolution, refinement and improvement over time. Sticky's may "stick" over some length of "run," but my bet is that something "better" will come along to take the "one" all-mountain crown, at least for a short while.
              Or to put it another way: how to totally miss the point[emoji45]

Go Android

Comment

This season I test-rode a lot of boards that I had not ridden before. Each has some interesting characteristic, such as very short, or very wide, or stiffer, or with more relaxed sidecut, or a great carver on firm snow, etc. And revisited some boards that I had ridden before too. I hoped some of these would be interesting enough to keep, and one pair did turn out to be that way. But after trying the SIIs, I am selling almost all the rest because as a skiboard for my riding the SIIs simply perform the best overall, and have no significant weakness or bad behaviors. Each of the other boards I currently have may be slightly better in one or two ways than the SII, but significantly worse in other aspects - they all exhibit some behavior or another that I don't like in some conditions enough to avoid riding the boards in those conditions.

The compromises the SII makes to have that very agreeable character are fine for a skiboard for my use. However, I would not be happy with the SII as my only board. I much prefer for some of my riding to be on full-sized skis. I think the combination of long skis and a fairly short skiboard is a good one for me and I would not trade one for the other.

What I like best in the SII is the way they don't bog down unexpectedly under any reasonable conditions. In that they are like my long skis that would maintain smooth constant speed and remain predictable over a very wide range of snow conditions and skiing techniques.

Comment

The suggestion wasn't entirely random. We are familiar with Bluewing, the boards he has ridden in the past, where he rides, the conditions he enjoys, and many other variables.

I think what you missed is that the Ickys are not just another variation in skiboard design, but an improvement so drastic that they could effectively replace most of the boards people own. Based on this, it is easy to recommend them to anyone looking for an inbounds skiboard. They are great everywhere, ice, powder, groomers, trees, crud, bumps, steeps and trees, and seem to have no shortcomings. We have yet to get feedback on how they perform in the park, but we have speciality boards for that. So it's not really a matter of stye or personal choice, but just understanding that they are the best tool for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                    ...... I think what you missed is that the Ickys are not just another variation in skiboard design, but an improvement so drastic that they could effectively replace most of the boards people own.......
                    This right here plus everything that Valmorel added above.

I don't know if is was by luck or design but the Stickies somehow ride bigger than they are and almost no bad habits. When I purchased them I assumed they would be my good snow groomer day boards and I would go back to the Spliffs for soft or deeper snow conditions but I have stuck with them in all conditions but deep deep powder (which we have not had this year).

The only thing I would change on the Stickies is the length. I thick 10 more cm would smooth out the ride a little more. I think because, much like Valmorel's feeling about the Revolts, I feel the Spruce 120s were one of those boards that was special at the time but suffered the same flaw (hooky tips/tails). The problems of the 120s would be solved if they were reincarnated as Sticky XLs.
                    Boards:
                    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Sadly, I wish I could contribute to this discussion, but my wife will not let me ride her Stickies any more.
                      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                        Don't know how long it took, check with Greco, but the original Revolt must have been around twenty years ago. Damn I am old.

2006 I believe.

I'd love to get a pair of Ickies, maybe someday.
                        Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                          The suggestion wasn't entirely random. We are familiar with Bluewing, the boards he has ridden in the past, where he rides, the conditions he enjoys, and many other variables.

I think what you missed is that the Ickys are not just another variation in skiboard design, but an improvement so drastic that they could effectively replace most of the boards people own.
                          It isn't clear to me that the question posed by Bluewing was on behalf of himself - he lists owning riser/bindings in his signature so that would obviate the need for another riser/binding pair at least for himself - an assumption on my part. However that's not really important since if Bluewing himself is considering the Sticky's then his prior experience pretty much dictates that he'll just have to try the Sticky's himself in order to come to a conclusion anyway. The rave reviews may be strong encouragement but they do not assure.

I followed my own advice and now own a pair. I'm pretty eager to ride them next week alongside my arsenal of boards to see if they really are as great as everyone says. Just based on the physical dimensions and shape I expect they will fall right in the middle of my DLP and XLs - my two favorite boards - but I just can't imagine that Sticky's could replace them both. We shall see.

I'll admit though that the Sticky graphics are my favorite and the sidewalls appear a lot stronger, I like the angle on sidewalls and hope they'll keep the top sheet from chipping like on my other boards.

Comment

I followed my own advice and now own a pair. I'm pretty eager to ride them next week alongside my arsenal of boards to see if they really are as great as everyone says. Just based on the physical dimensions and shape I expect they will fall right in the middle of my DLP and XLs - my two favorite boards - but I just can't imagine that Sticky's could replace them both. We shall see.
                            I kept my XLs for the truly deep and heavy days that the Ickys cannot reasonable handle, but the XLs will no longer be a an everyday resort board for me. The Ickys are just so much easier and more fun the cruise around on.

Of course, we do have some truly talented riders on the forum who can make almost any board work in any conditions, but most of us need a quiver. As much as I try to embrace minimalism, it can be pretty hard work sometimes, so the Ickys give a rider of my level a chance to have just one set up to cover all but the most extreme of conditions. For me, that's Nirvana.

Comment

I received a pair this morning. They don't look like anything special. Graphics are nice. Ptex is slightly high in the middle, but not bad. Edges spear to have about a 1 degree base bevel. They remind me of the ALPs. They sure seem small compared to what I'm used to now. I'm giving these to Marianne to try.
                              Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                              Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                              Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                              History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Working...
                              X