No announcement yet.

2017 Ickys - And So It Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas came early and my SIIs just arrived. From a specs standpoint I am liking what I see in these. The rocker/camber/rocker profile is very light. Just enough rocker to keep the tips up and prevent them catching in the turns and just enough camber so they still pop. The narrower width should make them East Coast killers and great on piste everywhere else. Construction looks great, nice eased sidewalls and beefy edges. The factory tune and wax look like they are ready to go. I love the white & black bases but if I had to pick one thing that does not excite me it's the topsheet graphics. Just not my style and much more subdued than other RVL8 designs of the past maybe I'll give them a vinyl graphics makeover so I have Wookie SII Customs. Cant wait to get them on the mountain.

Now if I can only convince Greco to take on the challenge of making a longboard version of these for next season. This profile and sidecut stretched out to 125cm with 4x10 inserts + setback would be freaking AWESOME! Like the NextGen Spruce 120s that I wanted the Raptors to be. We can call it the "Chronic".
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

!!!

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
      Now if I can only convince Greco to take on the challenge of making a longboard version of these for next season. This profile and sidecut stretched out to 125cm with 4x10 inserts + setback would be freaking AWESOME! Like the NextGen Spruce 120s that I wanted the Raptors to be. We can call it the "Chronic".
      +1 on the longboard idea and LOL on the name suggestion.
      171cm/190lbs
      Current Favorites:
      RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
      Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
      Other boards I'm trying:
      Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Hey, get in line, we're still waiting on the Blunt XXLs [emoji3]
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
          Hey, get in line, we're still waiting on the Blunt XXLs [emoji3]
          These are called Rockered Condors.
          Boards:
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
            These are called Rockered Condors.
            Touché. Also, as a further suggestion on the Chronics, maybe it could be offered in a stiff flex for more aggressive groomer riding, as well as a medium flex.
            171cm/190lbs
            Current Favorites:
            RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
            Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
            Other boards I'm trying:
            Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
              Touché. Also, as a further suggestion on the Chronics, maybe it could be offered in a stiff flex for more aggressive groomer riding, as well as a medium flex.
              Stiff RCs would be good[emoji4]

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
                The Blunts, Spliffs, MJs, XLs, and the future Chronics will not be available in different stiffness level but you can request higher potency models. If you want stiff boards just ask for the dankest boards in the line.
                Boards:
                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                  Stiff RCs would be good[emoji4]

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
                  I think that is what the Twoowt Sovas are.

https://translate.google.com/transla...6/&prev=search

I'd love a pair of stiffer RCs.
                  Boards/Bindings:
                  2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                  2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                  Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                    I'd love a pair of stiffer RCs.
                    I'd be on board with those...

Comment

I got to ride the Ickys today for the first time. I'm going to rename then the "Goldilocks", not too wide, not too thin, not too stiff, not too soft, not too long, not too short, not too rockered and not too cambered, they are JUST RIGHT!

Snowbowl opened today with about 1500 ft of moderately steep blue groomers. It was all man made, but pretty good coverage for the terrain. It was somewhat like a spring day, hard and icy in the morning, turning softer in the afternoon. i started off on my Atomic skis then switched over to the Ickys after lunch. They really are an easy board to ride, very smooth and quick to turn.They had good stability but definitely felt like shorties. I try not to jump to too many conclusions early in the season, I've done that before and fallen out love with boards as I get more time on them, but the Ickys may be the boards I have been waiting for. I can't wait to get them in some different conditions and see how the perform over time. I rode them with my Attack 13s on the Spruce Risers in the center position. They did feel a touch squirrely, in the slush, but that may be solved by moving the riser back.

So far, so good, in fact, better than so good

Comment

Very interested to hear your take on them set back BW. I prefer them that way by miles, same as I did the Revolt. Soft boots not so much LOL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                        Crossbow (go to dream board)
                        Most everything else over time.
                        Go Android

Comment

Crasche Winter Hat Review?

Looks like you were testing the Crasche Winter Hat too, Bad Wolf? Any chance of a review please?
                          I hope that you liked your new Atomic Waymaker boots too? I like mine.
                          Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                          Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                          Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
                            Looks like you were testing the Crasche Winter Hat too, Bad Wolf? Any chance of a review please?
                            I hope that you liked your new Atomic Waymaker boots too? I like mine.
                            Sure.

The hat was great. Light to wear, good fit with my goggles, warm and comfortable. I wore a light skull cap underneath. Yesterday was pretty warm, we got close to the fifties, and I did notice that the hat held a little moisture. It might be nice if it vented a little better, but I can fix that will a drill. To be fair, my helmet has the same issue, even with the vents open. Of course, if you don't overheat like I do this wouldn't be an issue. I did test the hat's protection by hitting myself on the head a few times with my my skis. I felt the inserts gave very good impact protection. I'm in the camp that believes that helmets don't protect you from concussions, so I am more than happy to use a product like the Crasche Hat that will protect you from soft tissue damage and fractures. To sum up, l'm going to switch from using my helmet to the Crasche Hat this season. It will also be great to travel with as it packs flat.

I did have trouble with my feet cramping up on the first few runs with the Waymaker boots. I stopped and pulled out the custom foot beds I put in and then they felt much better. They do seem to give a reasonable level of control. So, I guess the jury is still out for me on these boots, but, the jury is always out for me unless I'm in Snowboard boots. It is early in the season, so the boots should pack out a little. Stay tuned.

Comment

Is this the new understated BW... dark and brooding?
                              rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                              ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

RE: Crashe Hat review

Sure.

The hat was great. Light to wear, good fit with my goggles, warm and comfortable. I wore a light skull cap underneath. Yesterday was pretty warm, we got close to the fifties, and I did notice that the hat held a little moisture. It might be nice if it vented a little better, but I can fix that will a drill. To be fair, my helmet has the same issue, even with the vents open. Of course, if you don't overheat like I do this wouldn't be an issue. I did test the hat's protection by hitting myself on the head a few times with my my skis. I felt the inserts gave very good impact protection. I'm in the camp that believes that helmets don't protect you from concussions, so I am more than happy to use a product like the Crasche Hat that will protect you from soft tissue damage and fractures. To sum up, l'm going to switch from using my helmet to the Crasche Hat this season. It will also be great to travel with as it packs flat.

I did have trouble with my feet cramping up on the first few runs with the Waymaker boots. I stopped and pulled out the custom foot beds I put in and then they felt much better. They do seem to give a reasonable level of control. So, I guess the jury is still out for me on these boots, but, the jury is always out for me unless I'm in Snowboard boots. It is early in the season, so the boots should pack out a little. Stay tuned.
                                Thanks for the review BW. The packing flat feature of the Crasche hat sounds really useful for us folk who travel light by air.

I have SuperFeet Green insoles in my Waymaker 80 boots but I took out the factory insoles first.
                                Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                                Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                                Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Working...
                                X