Buyer Beware-Snowboard bindings for Skiboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyer Beware-Snowboard bindings for Skiboards

My binding of choice for skiboarding is an SBOL type modified snowboard binding with three straps AND wings AND a riser. I have had numerous questions from curious folks on the slopes and in PMs about what are the necessary components of an adequate snowboard binding modification for skiboarding . I feel very strongly that all three components are absolutely necessary for successful skiboarding using snowboard boots. I have tried a third strap attached to a traditional snowboard binding highback as have others and the support for lateral edging is horrible in firm snow. The lateral wings are ABSOLUTELY essential . Skiboards.com is currently offering a number of modified snowboard bindings for sale. A couple of the offerings do have the essential lateral wings , but many of their offerings do not. The bindings on the SBOL site all have the lateral wings , and SBOL also sells a conversion kit that has the necessary wings. The skiboards.com conversion kit does NOT have the necessary wings.
    I strongly believe that skiboarding in snowboard boots is a huge important innovation for skiboarding but I also believe that folks will be sorely disappointed if they do not have the proper binding and I think it is a huge disservice to the sport that Skiboards.com is selling an inferior binding product to the general public who is unaware of the essential requirements of a successful commercial modified snowboard binding for skiboarding.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Whats even worse is that there are some ebay sellers selling entry level skiboards with the 4x4 inserts and slapping a pair of snowboard bindings on them and selling the set without even a riser! Skiboards seem to be the wild west of the skiworld, no rules, no standards, and no quality control! Doc should be ashamed, selling skiboards since 96 and can't comprehend the laws of physics in regards to a freaking skiboard binding system! As they say on facebook feed... SMH! (Shake Mah Head!!)

Comment

As a softboot user, all three are imperative, 100%.

Comment

Jack,

Am I seeing this correctly, it looks like Doc is selling softboot bindings with only a strap for highback support and no rigid winged cuff reinforcement?

If so, that seems like a recipe to sour folks on skiboarding, period. I know you've experimented with every imaginable softboot concoction. No question, unless you have the ankle strength of Guy Lafleur or Marcel Dionne that arrangement is not going to be pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          Jack,

Am I seeing this correctly, it looks like Doc is selling softboot bindings with only a strap for highback support and no rigid winged cuff reinforcement?

If so, that seems like a recipe to sour folks on skiboarding, period. I know you've experimented with every imaginable softboot concoction. No question, unless you have the ankle strength of Guy Lafleur or Marcel Dionne that arrangement is not going to be pleasant.
          Summit Snowboard Binding Riser Kit for skiboards
          The kit has a set of Booster Straps in it but no Saavi Wings.
          Last edited by Gromit; 12-11-2015, 02:24 PM. Reason: Added extra info
          Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
          Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
          Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            Jack,

Yes Bill, Doc has some Technine double wing offerings on his web site carried over from last year with the proper design ,but the majority of his options including the new TECHNINE custom snowboard bindings are just standard highback snowboard bindings with third strap attached to the standard highback .His "conversion" kit also as Gromit has pointed out also does not offer any wings like the SBOL kit does. I agree that offering such bindings with no lateral wings on the highback is a perfect receipe for souring folks on skiboarding altogether and I am surprised that after offering the Rocker binding and the Technine double scrub hook bindings which had the proper configuration , Doc has just gone back to selling an inferior product without letting the buyers know the difference !
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
              Yes Bill, Doc has some Technine double wing offerings on his web site carried over from last year with the proper design ,but the majority of his options including the new TECHNINE custom snowboard bindings are just standard highback snowboard bindings with third strap attached to the standard highback .His "conversion" kit also as Gromit has pointed out also does not offer any wings like the SBOL kit does. I agree that offering such bindings with no lateral wings on the highback is a perfect receipe for souring folks on skiboarding altogether and I am surprised that after offering the Rocker binding and the Technine double scrub hook bindings which had the proper configuration , Doc has just gone back to selling an inferior product without letting the buyers know the difference !
              The Booster Straps do not have ratchet buckles and contain elastic. I guess that those might be hard to get tight enough Jack?
              Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
              Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
              Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
                The Booster Straps do not have ratchet buckles and contain elastic. I guess that those might be hard to get tight enough Jack?
                Yes , I have found rachet straps much better then booster straps in keeping the upper strap firm and tight .
                Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                  Doc has just gone back to selling an inferior product without letting the buyers know the difference !
                  I think as more and more people order softboot setups from SBOL and SKB.com there is definitely a growing need for a sticky here in the gear section detailing a few key points such as, 1/ Why people would want to skiboard in a snowboard boot (foot pain, etc) 2/ Why snowboard bindings alone are not designed to skiboard in (lack of lateral support, etc) in 3/ How this is accomplished (Boot selection/Riser Selection/Binding Mod and Binding Mod install), Greco posted a nice vid last year showing the install of the Saavi system. and 4/Why a softboot setup is considered advanced (snowboard binding selection/functions, non-release safety concerns,DIY). There's already quite a wealth of information on the right way of doing a binding mod and the importance of the components involved, I just think its important that it becomes centralised/easier to find. 5/ Results! I'll try to get more softboot edits up, seeing as my season hasnt started yet theres a ton of footage for me to go through. Edits from hard charging riders on softboots would be a good way of demonstrating that the performance envelope of a rider is not going to be limited by a properly modified binding (ie, some high performance results!).

Comment

Risers?

I already have a set of the 3-strap Technines with the double-hook highback for softboot snowboard carving. Has anyone used either of the risers that SBOL offers? If so, what can you tell me?
                    171cm/190lbs
                    Current Favorites:
                    RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                    Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                    Other boards I'm trying:
                    Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
                      I already have a set of the 3-strap Technines with the double-hook highback for softboot snowboard carving. Has anyone used either of the risers that SBOL offers? If so, what can you tell me?
                      The Missouri Risers are excellent. Strong lightweight and easy to use. I also have happen to have a brand new pair I don't need if you are interested

Missouri Risers
                      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
                        HI Fedfan , I have used both SBOL risers . They both work well in terms of providing a firm rigid coupling of the snowboard binding to the skiboard, I prefer the Missouri riser because it is way lighter. It is made of HDPE instead of metal.
                        The main reason for choosing the RVL8 metal riser is if your skiboard is very narrow . The width of the Missouri riser is 3 5/8 inches or 92mm and the width of the RVL8 soft boot riser is 2 3/8 inches or 60mm
                        Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                          The Missouri Risers are excellent. Strong lightweight and easy to use. I also have happen to have a brand new pair I don't need if you are interested

Missouri Risers
                          Hey Bad Wolf, If you still have the risers I would be interested.
                          Boards: 15 Blunt XL / 13 Slapdash
                          Bindings: Bomber 2 Elite / Zero Pro
                          Boots: Atomic Hawx 2.0 100

Comment

Originally posted by kyu View Post
                            Hey Bad Wolf, If you still have the risers I would be interested.
                            I sold the first pair, but do have another available. $60 delivered?
                            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                              I sold the first pair, but do have another available. $60 delivered?
                              Sounds good. Just let me know where to send the money
                              Boards: 15 Blunt XL / 13 Slapdash
                              Bindings: Bomber 2 Elite / Zero Pro
                              Boots: Atomic Hawx 2.0 100

Comment

Working...
                              X