• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    A question about bindings and risers

Originally posted by cj4soccer View Post
    is there any difference or is it just preference between the summit riser kit (http://summitskiboards.com/product/s...for-skiboards/) and the RVL8 Missouri risers (http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl...ririser.html)?
    It's a whole world of difference in design, construction and quality, which ultimately affects your ride.

Go with the Missouri Riders.

Leave a comment:

• cj4soccer
    replied
    is there any difference or is it just preference between the summit riser kit (http://summitskiboards.com/product/s...for-skiboards/) and the RVL8 Missouri risers (http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl...ririser.html)?

Leave a comment:

• mary
    replied
    Well, I just recieved mine, and convinced him to order a set from here as well. Thank you guys for all your help

Leave a comment:

• Fedfan
    replied
    Very cool...

^^ Thanks for posting that.

Shawn

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by mary View Post
    Thanks. And he's a big guy, and unless we want to spend $400 (we don't) we'd be getting the ones I got, which have a max DIN of 10. He read this chart and it tells him that 10 is for beginners through intermediates for heavier children and light adults. He's neither.
    I'll post a screenshot of the chart when I get the chance.
    Mary - Something is not right if that is what the chart says. Take a look at this simple generic DIN calculation tool: http://www.dinsetting.com

Leave a comment:

• mary
    replied
    Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    Thanks. And he's a big guy, and unless we want to spend $400 (we don't) we'd be getting the ones I got, which have a max DIN of 10. He read this chart and it tells him that 10 is for beginners through intermediates for heavier children and light adults. He's neither.
    I'll post a screenshot of the chart when I get the chance.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Hmm...okay. That's kinda unfortunate. I know he was worried about the DIN settings on the ones sold here. We'll see.

Do you happen to have a link to this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/371498280412...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What worries him about the DIN?

Leave a comment:

• mary
    replied
    Hmm...okay. That's kinda unfortunate. I know he was worried about the DIN settings on the ones sold here. We'll see.

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    There is a pair of skiboards with risers and bindings on eBay currently, which is cheaper than just the riser and bindings alone would be new - get it, keep the riser, sell the boards if you don't like them.
    Do you happen to have a link to this?

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    As mentioned, the risers are pre-drilled to accept specific bindings. Other bindings would have different hole patterns and might not fit. SBOL/Spruce typically would not sell you the risers only, without bindings. What bindings did your fiancé buy? The current Risers fit only specific Tyrolia bindings (maybe others too with little or no modification, while others might not fit at all without some more significant modification needed). Can he return the bindings to the store and buy a set from Spruce/SBOL?

If he's handy, he could try and make a DIY riser. I'm making one to mount my own bindings, but it requires precision drilling and some not inexpensive drill bits, so it might be cheaper to just buy the Riser with bindings... Plus, the workmanship and parts on the Spruce riser is superb and likely to not have problems (something I'm not at all sure my DIY version could boast). Or find a used set with bindings and sell your bindings. There is a pair of skiboards with risers and bindings on eBay currently, which is cheaper than just the riser and bindings alone would be new - get it, keep the riser, sell the boards if you don't like them.

Thank you all for your help my next question is this: is there a place I can buy JUST the risers? I believe I convinced my fiance that he should use them, but he already purchased bindings.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    Originally posted by Shorterthanlife View Post
    Here in Europe we don't have dealer of the Spruce riser system but I found a similar system made by Eman on the Czech webshop for skiboarding (which apparently represents skiboarding in Europe as I haven't found anything else).

Technical details:
    New Eman Skiboard Plate consists from 2 hardened Alloy plates and pair of reliable Head SX bindings.
    That Eman riser looks like a simple aluminum bar drilled 4x4. I'd be leery of something like that bending and taking a set with any kind of aggressive riding.

I made a similar thing years ago for demo bindings and, you guessed it, it bent and took a set. Without some kind of reinforcement (like the channel design on Spruce risers) it's hard to imagine a flat bar design holding up. I do believe SBOL ships to Europe if you are interested in going that route.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    Thank you all for your help my next question is this: is there a place I can buy JUST the risers?
    The short answer is no.

Spruce risers are engineered, fabricated and set up to accept certain specific brand/models of bindings. Mounting alternate bindings could present safety concerns, that's why, to my knowledge, they've never been sold as a DIY kit.

Leave a comment:

• mary
    replied
    Thank you all for your help my next question is this: is there a place I can buy JUST the risers? I believe I convinced my fiance that he should use them, but he already purchased bindings.

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by Shorterthanlife View Post
    .... My question, where could the difference be between these and the Spruce Riser Pro Sport? ......
    As a delivery vessel to connect a standard release ski binding to a skiboard they are the same concept. Primary differences are:

1 - The Spruce Riser will interface with 4cm x 4cm and 4cm x 10cm skiboard binding insert patterns. The Eman system will only work with 4x4 inserts. With the Revolts this will be fine but will limit you from going to long board skiboards (primarily over 110cm made by Spruce).

2 - The Spruce Riser is available with different bindings and with brakes. Eman is one binding fits all and leashes.

3 - The Eman system is a solid plate (I think) and the Spruce system is an aluminum channel. Not sure that impacts anything but it's a difference.

On either system you are a similar binding with equal safety capabilities. Unless you think you are going to add some Spruce long board skiboards to your quiver you'll be fine with the Eman system. Even if you do go to long boards you could always drill the Eman plates for 4x10 inserts. For what you are saving in shipping you could even pay a machinist to do this rather than do it yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Shorterthanlife
    replied
    Hi guys

I'm hoping to join the skiboarding family soon and have been looking around what to buy.
    What concerns the skiboards I've narrowed it down to RVL8 Revolts but I have a question about the riser/binding combinations.

Here in Europe we don't have dealer of the Spruce riser system but I found a similar system made by Eman on the Czech webshop for skiboarding (which apparently represents skiboarding in Europe as I haven't found anything else).

Technical details:
    New Eman Skiboard Plate consists from 2 hardened Alloy plates and pair of reliable Head SX bindings.
    shortest contact lenght 130mm for perfect flex
    aircraft hardened alloy
    4x4 mount for all skiboards
    for boots from 271 to 364mm
    Comes Standard with leashes and screws
    height 46mm

My question, where could the difference be between these and the Spruce Riser Pro Sport?
    Simply put it all comes down to an aluminium plate with bindings on top, so the big difference will be in the bindings then?
    This Eman/Head combo comes down to around 135 USD compared to 199 USD for the Spruce setup.
    Taking into account additional shipping cost from the US compared to from the Czech republic the price gap becomes bigger.

Looking forward to your expertise!

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    I had a pair of Summit 110 cm Custom boards that came with direct fix Tyrolia Demo bindings. They worked just fine and I never had any issues them. I did eventually remove them to customize the boards and make use of the 4X4 inserts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X