KTPs with SBOL softboot bindings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KTPs with SBOL softboot bindings

I went to Northstar yesterday to try out my '15 KTPs with SBOL Snowjam 540 bindings and '06 Burton Rulers. I don't have a lot of time right now so this will be short.

First half of the day was fantastic. Feet were comfortable, I had control. I even took a few small jumps and felt fine with the landings. Second half of the day, I was moving a bit more slowly. My feet were getting fatigued; I was having to use my toes and balls of my feet a lot more than I was used to to design and maintain carve angles. it was a lot more work to get the KTPs on edge. Also, my stance was much more upright than I'm used to with my ski boot setup, so I was working harder to keep my weight centered.

Next time I go out, I'll see if I can adjust the bindings to give a stronger cant to help with that. Also, I might try the softboot setup on the Allz 94s or Snowjam 90s; they are narrower and should be a lot easier to get on edge than the KTPs.

Overall, I enjoyed the experience and I think with some practice I'll prefer it in most areas to ski boots.
    ------------------
    2020 Spruce Slingshots
    2015 KTPs
    2009 Allz 94cm
    2003 Snowjam 90s

Oh, also...since I was leading a tour bus, I popped the RVL8 demo DVD in for everyone to watch for a half hour before we arrived
    ------------------
    2020 Spruce Slingshots
    2015 KTPs
    2009 Allz 94cm
    2003 Snowjam 90s

Comment

Originally posted by wldkrd1 View Post
      Oh, also...since I was leading a tour bus, I popped the RVL8 demo DVD in for everyone to watch for a half hour before we arrived
      Was it a tour bus full of skiboarders, and did you get any feedback from the DVD?
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
        Was it a tour bus full of skiboarders, and did you get any feedback from the DVD?
        There were 30 of us, but I was the only skiboarder. Nobody said anything to me about it either way, though I did get some questions from other people in lift lines. I'd brought a bunch of RVL8 business cards but stupidly forgot them on the bus.
        ------------------
        2020 Spruce Slingshots
        2015 KTPs
        2009 Allz 94cm
        2003 Snowjam 90s

Comment

With the following adjustments you'll be carving like a surgeon fatigue free even on those wide KTP's :
          1. adjust toe and ankle strap length for the best fit to your boot
          2. move the toe plate into the forward position, more than likely the stock toe plate configuration is leaving too much of your toe over the plate, causing toe pain.
          3. adjust the high back to a forward tilt, play around with how many notches, I think I do five, this will get you back into a non upright stance perfect for carving
          4. make sure the the third strap can tighten all the way, this is key
          5. set the snowboard binding back on the riser, this does not require using the +2 inserts but does translate to optimal control
          6. loctight and tighten every single screw on that binding, including the saavi wings..g-forces have a way of getting those things loose and that really sucks to have happen on the hill.

one more thing.. the snowboard bindings radial dial.. I dont know why, but this made a huge difference for me.. my left foot is set at -1 degree and my right +1 this keeps the toe at a skiers angel I think.

Comment

Great stuff, especially GDubs adjustment tricks. Having the set up just right can make all the difference in the world.

Bill was just saying in the XL thread how important lateral support becomes in soft bindings as the boards get wider. I definitely have a preference for my Dashes this season over the Blunts, maybe it's the width in combination with the bindings? If my sister in law comes to visit this weekend, I may get the chance to borrow her KTPs, that's one board I have yet to ride. It should be interesting.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

My own preference using my SBOl soft boot set up is to avoid carving all the time. Rather then keep my boards on edge all the time , I like to relax in to a slarve or partial carve side slip very easy to do with wide bodied skiboards esp zero cambered rockered boards like the Blunts, Blunt Xl and the RCS.
              Boards :
              Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
              Boots
              K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
              Bindings:
              Zero Pro Non release Binding
              Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
              Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
              Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
              Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by g.dub View Post
                3. adjust the high back to a forward tilt, play around with how many notches, I think I do five, this will get you back into a non upright stance perfect for carving
                +1 The forward tilt really helped me with control. I set mine down 4 notches.

Also related to g.dub's #4. It's very important to make sure your boot is seated as far back as it will go.

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                Having the set up just right can make all the difference in the world.
                +1 Well worth the time experimenting to get them right for you. One of the benefits of the modified snowboard bindings is the number of ways to tailor them for specifically for your riding style and foot, ankle, lower leg anatomy.
                favorite setup: Blunts with SBOL modified Snowjam 540 bindings

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone! It looks like I'll be going back to Northstar on Sunday so I'll play around with the bindings and report back.

Sure would be nice if Tahoe got some new snow...
                  ------------------
                  2020 Spruce Slingshots
                  2015 KTPs
                  2009 Allz 94cm
                  2003 Snowjam 90s

Comment

Originally posted by cmbruin View Post
                    +1 The forward tilt really helped me with control. I set mine down 4 notches.
                    I was wrong. I actually like it at 3 notches down.
                    favorite setup: Blunts with SBOL modified Snowjam 540 bindings

Comment

Working...
                    X