Gnu Fastek Step In Modified Snowboard Binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gnu Fastek Step In Modified Snowboard Binding

One of the cool things about the RVL8 snowboard binding modification kit is that it allows the skiboarder to convert any snowboard binding into a skiboard binding . I have been on the search for a modified snowboard step in binding to convert that was different from the Flow binding I converted. I did not like the pad that is used on the Flow binding which causes pressure on the top of my foot and also promotes IMHO a tendency to have catastrophic pull outs of the ladder straps on both of the two lower straps on exteme lateral pressure while skiboarding on steep icy slopes. . The Fastek binding system works on a different principle and combines the ease of entry of a rear entry snowboard binding with the benefits of a standard rachet strap binding . I found this years GNU Street Binding on sale at the local Ski and Snowboard Show today and converted it using the RVL8 Kit and am very pleased with the result and look forward to on snow testing .
    In order to convert this binding for skiboarding two holes need to be drilled in the highback to allow the Saavi wings to be installed above and out of the way of the highback lever .

Here is a picture of the Saavi wings installed .

Here is a picture showing installation above the highback lever showing nice clearance . Not all Fastek bindings have this much clearance and you need to check the binding to see if there is enough clearance for installation of the Saavi wings.

Here is the binding with the highback disengaged and laying down .

This lifts the ankle strap and releases the lever on the ankle strap automatically !

Boot is just slipped into the binding with the top against the top cap strap . ps I am using a Ride Insano Double Boa Snowboard boot .

The highback is pulled up and the lever is locked and then the buckle on the ankle strap is snapped down , and the top strap is buckled and you are in . It is very simple and much easier then fiddling with three straps . ps It is not apparent on this view but the binding is raised above the deck of the skiboard by the " Missouri Riser " included in the RVL8 kit.

ps I really like the burly micro adjustable ladder strap on the other side of the ankle strap , much burlier then the ladder straps on Flow bindings and adustable on the fly if you want a little more or less tension on the ankle strap

Here is a video of me getting in and out of the binding ... ( ps while watching the basketball game ... Sacramento Kings vs. San Antonio ... Go Kings !)

Here is a couple of more detailed commercial video showing how the Fastek binding system works ..

Here is a nice video that Greco made recently showing how to install Saavi wings if drilling the highback is needed.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

That binding looks like it works pretty slick. Do you think the boot/binding connection will be rigid enough?
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Looks promising Jack.

How about as a backcountry binding?
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
        That binding looks like it works pretty slick. Do you think the boot/binding connection will be rigid enough?
        It is an all plastic composite binding but seems rigid enough at least on dry land .. will see if I notice any difference on snow .
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post

How about as a backcountry binding?
          No , it wouldn't work as a backcountry binding ... in order for snowboard bindings to work for backcountry use .. you need a traditional strap that goes across the forefoot of the boot not a cap strap ... the way the Fastek binding works is based on just slipping your toe into a toe cap ....
          Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

That looks so quick and easy to get into. How sensitive might it be to snow and ice build up on your boots, compared to strap in set ups?
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
              That looks so quick and easy to get into. How sensitive might it be to snow and ice build up on your boots, compared to strap in set ups?
              yes , i think that is one of the disadvantages with all rear entry bindings but may be less of a problem with the Fastec system as the closure of the binding involves one last step of closing the side buckle and if it is difficult to close with snow build up you could easily loosen the strap easily and then close the side buckle ...
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Got back from testing the GNU Street binding modified with the RVL8 kit,(Saavi wings with Top strap , and Missouri riser) . . Out on the Blunt Xls at Northstar today with Sempai who was on his hardboot set up with FF pros also on Blunt XLs, , Both of us center mounted. . Northstar had a nice long run open on man made snow that had variable conditions including firm and slick snow and softer broken up snow ... I tried to keep up with Sempai who is a speed demon and carving fiend on his hardboot set up .. I think I did ok trying to keep up with him.
                Binding is signficantly easier to get into and out of then a standard three strap binding ... it does require fiddling around with the set up initially to get the straps adjusted just right , but once you figure it out , you just leave it that way and it is very easy to get in and out ,
                The binding seems plenty rigid enough to power the Blunt Xls into nice carves on slick snow at speed and hold an edge nicely ... I did not feel like I needed a hardboot set up to keep up with Sempai ...
                I really like it alot... it will be my go to resort soft boot binding set up ..

ps a caveat - I do use a very stiff snowboard boot that certainly helps carving .. soft snowboard set ups are really dependent performance wise on boot stiffness,IMHO, carving performance is a combination of binding performance and boot stiffness. ,
                I am using a Ride Insano with a stiffness rating 9/10
                Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                X