2014/2015 Graphics Design Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014/2015 Graphics Design Ideas

I thought it might be nice to hear what folks would like to see on their favorite skiboards next season. We all have our own thoughts on graphics, from plain white to the classic "cowboy riding a dolphin". It's hard to please everyone, the more radical the design the more polarizing it becomes. Graphics have a huge impact on our buying impulse, I almost bought the Revolts just for the Diablo graphic, and, although they grew on me, almost didn't buy the Blunts because of their Yin Yang graphic. So, what would you like to see on your boards next year?

Just these, nothing else !

Here's my idea for a new graphic...........Signature boards.

I really like the Junk Show Revolts form last year. They took lots of separate concepts and combined them into one design, representing the Junk Show. In and Out, Chapstick, Polaroid, satellite. Very cool.

In the same vein as the Junk Show Revolts, I thought it might be nice to make some boards that represent events and/or forum members.

SBOL Hall of Fame Revolts

I see the boards with the screen names or avatars representing forum members: like "Valmorel","sempai" "Bluewing", "JJue". We could use their names or even the avatars that represent them. It would be a testament to prior and current forum members. Like an SBOL Hall of Fame.

Festival Rockered Condors

I think Valmorel has a set of boards he rode at one of the Shredfests with stickers representing each of the resorts from that year. We could make a similar set of boards but include resorts from all of our festivals, Shredfest, Powdown, Mount Bohemia, Spring Steeze. They would be boards that celebrate our gatherings.

Blunt Owners Club Blunts

I couldn't leave this out. Like the "Hall of Fame" Revolts, these boards would represent those who bought the Blunts this year with their names or avatars on. Each year you could add to the list. Not a bad incentive to buy a board, to get your name on it!

As an example, the Slapdashes I covered in stickers last year actually have Slow's "crash" avatar on them, along with lots of resort and Dr Who stickers. Something like that.

Attached Files

Comment

The Junk Show boards never appealed to me. In and Out Burger? Yeah, none of those around here. Purple, not a fan plus I wasn't a member of TJS video. The board only speaks to a small group of buyers from my view.

The same is going to apply plastering forum usernames, avatars or visited resorts. Make it a limited edition graphic if there's a demand but have another annual release option alongside otherwise the boards are tailored to a US demographic primarily and wouldn't appeal to me, for instance. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it's just too personalized for everyone.

You're right, the graphics play a huge part in my buying decision, it's make or break sadly. I'm with you on the Blunts, the design dissuaded me from considering them for this year much like the 2012 RC's. I'd go for a pair of Revolt Rhino's or even RC Rhino's, love the bases with that graphic.

What would I like to see?

Hrmm, love bold bases. Yellow, bright orange, bright green, red, maybe even neon colors that reflect off the snow. I want to see RVL8 and/or SKIBOARDS plastered on the bottoms in bold block letters easy to read from the lift or when at the skirack. Free, awesome in your face advertising right there. No fancy writing or scribbly fonts please.

Top sheet, not sure but toss out a few preorder options for a limited edition preseason run maybe. Let's see what's available to vote on before they're out. Life is short, waiting an extra season for a board that really speaks to me is painful, lol. The graphic definitely has to span both boards for ultimate coolness.

I'd probably have a 300ZX driving a twisted road, PENTAX SLR, Pints of beer or something beer related with fresh hops, a polar bear shot when I was in the Arctic, perhaps even a shot of an icebreaker on a pair of RC's. Go anywhere, do anything boards. That's obviously a very personalized board for me but hey.
      Boards: RVL*8 '08 Revolt Chicken's, Canon M7 Black, Line Fly 4 post
      Bindings: Line FF Pro, Groove Red X1
      Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Comment

I would love to see a blue print themed topsheet. Hard engineering lines, dimensions, and notes like the boards were still in development protos. I have been considering something along these lines for a skin to cover my all white Spruce 125LEs but have put it off to be an off season project. My wife suggested a Millennium Falcon theme since my handle is the "Wookie".

Also I would love to see a communal board as a forum project. The idea comes from a tie I once had. In 2000 I was given a beautiful Armani tie from a golf journalist that I know. It came with rules. I could not keep it for more than a month. I had to wear it to an important function. After my time with it was up I to sign my name to box it came in and give it away. The tie had originally been a gift to Emperor Hirohito. His name was first on the signature list. The list included architects, journalists, politicians, and celebrities. By the time I received the tie dozens of people had owned and worn it each signing their name and passing it on.

So here is how this applies to skiboards. You take an all white set of boards with maybe just the RVL8 name, Forum name, or simple racing stripes on them. Key forum members get to ride and enjoy the board for two weeks and then have to sign them/leave their mark and pass them on. No one ever gets to own them. As the boards are passed from member to member they develop a history and a very unique topsheet. At the end of the season they are returned to Greco where the final marked up topsheet is scanned and used to make a limited edition board for the forum members that participated in the project.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
          I would love to see a blue print themed topsheet. Hard engineering lines, dimensions, and notes like the boards were still in development protos. I have been considering something along these lines for a skin to cover my all white Spruce 125LEs but have put it off to be an off season project. My wife suggested a Millennium Falcon theme since my handle is the "Wookie".

Also I would love to see a communal board as a forum project. The idea comes from a tie I once had. In 2000 I was given a beautiful Armani tie from a golf journalist that I know. It came with rules. I could not keep it for more than a month. I had to wear it to an important function. After my time with it was up I to sign my name to box it came in and give it away. The tie had originally been a gift to Emperor Hirohito. His name was first on the signature list. The list included architects, journalists, politicians, and celebrities. By the time I received the tie dozens of people had owned and worn it each signing their name and passing it on.

So here is how this applies to skiboards. You take an all white set of boards with maybe just the RVL8 name, Forum name, or simple racing stripes on them. Key forum members get to ride and enjoy the board for two weeks and then have to sign them/leave their mark and pass them on. No one ever gets to own them. As the boards are passed from member to member they develop a history and a very unique topsheet. At the end of the season they are returned to Greco where the final marked up topsheet is scanned and used to make a limited edition board for the forum members that participated in the project.
          That is a brilliant idea! Very cool.

I would also suggest a Wookie inspired design: The GFY. One board would have "skiboardsonline.com: Friendliest Community on Snow" and the other would have "Go F#ck Yourself!"
          In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
            I would also suggest a Wookie inspired design: The GFY. One board would have "skiboardsonline.com: Friendliest Community on Snow" and the other would have "Go F#ck Yourself!"
            Where do I pre-order???? And officially that would be the "GFY pro" model. The GFY pro holiday package offered by SBOL would include one release and one non-release binding (just one of each not pairs) and a BadWolf "Signature Edition" neon green cape.
            Boards:
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

I'd like to see RVL8 support some visual artists again like some of the older graphics when JP King and other were featured artists.
              Last edited by Greco; 03-22-2014, 12:43 AM.
              Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

One of the cool things about skiboards is that some of the graphics are great. Look around the mountain at most mainstream skis - the graphics suck. KTPs with the yellow eyes, Sherpas with the overlapping rectangles, Diablos, Blunts with the people cloud and opposite color scheme, 2012 RCs - whether you like the graphics or not at least they are something different.

More cool graphics. If production allows follow the J Skis model - new graphic, very limited run, when it sells out the next new graphic is queued up.

Regardless - one point re graphic design - the image should take into account the portion of the board that will be covered by the binding and make sure that the imagery holds up and is interesting once the binding is mounted. Cool work of art if it doesn't but on the slopes the imagery in some cases falls flat because the key parts are covered up.
                In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                  Regardless - one point re graphic design - the image should take into account the portion of the board that will be covered by the binding and make sure that the imagery holds up and is interesting once the binding is mounted. Cool work of art if it doesn't but on the slopes the imagery in some cases falls flat because the key parts are covered up.
                  I second this. That's one thing that kinda upsets me about the Blunts. Half of the design gets covered by the bindings.

Comment

Great ideas.

I think it's OK to have unique or individual styles of boards because our production runs are relatively limited. Even the less popular graphics usually sell our fairly quickly. The popular graphics can even go into re-runs, like the "Crazy Snowman".

Comment

I guess my only want for Graphics for 2014/2015 is Neon bottoms (as stated above somewhere). Going down the slopes with the bottom reflecting up is amazing! (I'd get ORANGE!)

But I think anything is fine. I'm particularly fond of that RC 2012 design , Spruce 2013 STS, and anything that's mountainy or just cool graphics (but non-graffitti)
                      Riding: RVL8 '15 Rockered Condors
                      Bindings: RVL8 '15 Black Receptors | Tyrolia Attack 13 Release Bindings
                      Boots: Full Tilt '14 Booters - 27.5

Comment

+1 for neon anything
                        Blunt XL
                        125LE

Comment

Originally posted by Tyton View Post
                          +1 for neon anything
                          +2 -- My bright yellow Spruce 120s really get noticed. I would dig anything in neon orange.
                          Boards:
                          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

You know, looking at the Spruce 120s, I really like their designs!!! And the Bantam Village
                            Riding: RVL8 '15 Rockered Condors
                            Bindings: RVL8 '15 Black Receptors | Tyrolia Attack 13 Release Bindings
                            Boots: Full Tilt '14 Booters - 27.5

Comment

Picking up on Bluewing's idea of limited edition runs;

Does anyone know how hard/easy it is to change graphics in between runs? For instance the Blunts came out in two different batches this year, I presume from the same mold. Is it as simple as just changing out the top sheet layer to a different graphic, or is it more complex and costly than that? Could the Blunts have been made as easily with two graphics?

The ability to run different graphics would make "concept" boards much more practical.

Comment

Working...
                              X