Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

skiing icy conditions tomorrow: go with my blunts or spruce 120s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skiing icy conditions tomorrow: go with my blunts or spruce 120s?

hey all, I'm out in Vermont and was planning on skiing tomorrow. It's been warm and rainy the last few days and I am expecting icy conditions out on the mountain (was debating between Jay's Peak and Mansfield - any advice for the better conditions?).

anyways, I haven't skied much ice before and was wondering if I should go with my blunts or my spruce 120s. I really love my blunts but I'm worried they will be skidding all over the place. Thanks for the advice !

I would pick the Blunts. But, I would have a full expectation of sliding all over the place . It really depends how icy it is, and how comfortable you are sliding at speed when it gets sketchy.

The 120s are going to give you more edge hold and make it easier to turn and stop.

Comment

My blunts handle well on ice. It's just about learning to expect what they are going to do.

Kirk is right about being comfortable sliding at speed. And after rain in Vermont I don't even bother going out.

The blunts have become predictable to me on ice, but still no fun and after a rainy day up there, you can expect a solid sheet of ice.

How long are you up there for? I may be going up next Wednesday for a couple of days.

I'm gonna get 45 days on the mountain this year if it kills me!
      33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

If it is truly icy my experience is the 120s are not great and I have spent a lot of time on them. They are fine in a controlled drift but I find the tails tend to really kick out in icy conditions, which I don't like at all. Regardless of which boards you go with make sure you sharpen the side edges. I like mine sharp with no detuning, especially in icy conditions.
        In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
        Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I kike my Blunts in icy conditions. I feel like I can control the slide when they hit ice, even going sideways on them.
          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

skiing icy conditions tomorrow: go with my blunts or spruce 120s?

How much do you weigh? I am a bigger guy and always opt for my 120s in the ice. I like the longer edge and the consistency of a cambered skiboard over a rockered skiboard on ice and hard pack. When it's icy my rockered 125LEs don't leave the car.

BTW .... Skiboards are so small why not bring both the 120s and Blunts? Give both a try and see how they do. If it warms up during the and the ice becomes spring slush you might want to make a change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Boards:
            2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
            2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
            2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
            2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
            2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
            2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
            2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Working...