DLP's.... soft or hard flex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLP's.... soft or hard flex?

Im planning on trying some DLP's. Im current on KTP squids and want to try something a little flexier. Im set on a pair of DLP's to get a longer and a little more narrow board.
    Im having a hard time descriping my riding style and level, but i will give it a try. Im am a all mountain rider, that love offpiste/deep pow and between groomers. i will hit every bump, jump and pow i can get to, when i go down the groomers. which makes me think that i need a flexy board. But when i run straight groomers with no deep snow or bumps i like to go agressive and fast, as i find cruising groomers kind of booring.
    Im going through the park whenever i can, but i normally dont going just up and down the park. I will hit the park at the end of a run that runs near the park. But i might be going more intensive park in the future.

Im 185lbs, but i have read the reveiws of the softer boards, like the Rockered condors, flexy alps and blunts, and would love to try the feel of a flexy board. But is the soft flex DLP option the one for me? or will the hardflex option feel plenty of flexy to me compared to the KTPs?

If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure the squid KTPs actually use the "soft flex" construction (i.e., one layer of triaxial fiberglass). The soft DLPs would probably be even flexier due to other construction differences, but I'm pretty sure the stiff DLPs would be stiffer than the squid KTPs.

From how you describe your riding style, you have a few things going on:

For riding groomers aggressively, stiff boards will give you higher performance and a more stable ride.
    For hitting jumps and park, stiff boards will provide more stable landings.
    For cruising powder, soft boards will bend more so you don't have to lean back as much (but you also loose tail stability).
    For "bumps", soft boards will absorb some of the bounciness better.
    Soft boards are easier to skid turn at low speeds.

It is kind of hard to give a single recommendation on this, so you will have to weigh out what you want to do. At 185lbs., I would by default be leaning towards the stiffer flex. The softer flexing boards are generally going to provide less support when pushing them hard, and are more friendly towards lighter riders or riding with a more relaxed style.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Kirk.

Well.. thats how it is when i have nothing to compare my boards with. It adds a spin to the decision process that i actually already have tried a flexy type of board. Im learning towards the stiffer DLPs because i now think a have missed out of the peformence gain on groomers, and i dont mind a bumby ride over chopped snow and bumps. But im concerned about the performence in deep pow. if my ability to perform in offpiste goes down the drain compared to the squids.

Comment

Working...
      X