Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another "newbie" thread. help appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "newbie" thread. help appreciated.

Hi,

I am a "few days, once-a-year" skier currently, and just haven't progressed from "intermediate" level. I saw youtube videos with skiboarding and read all about it and it sounds like something awesome to experience. I'm going to CO in a few weeks to hit the slopes and am trying to figure out what to do.

I thought I would just rent some, but apparently they only rent the solomon ones from a few years ago, so they may be beaters .

I also spoke to Greco about the rental program, but apparently you need to buy your own bindings/risers for $200 as part of the rental. That's a lot to cough up before I've tried the sport at all.

I've also looked on ebay just for the heck of it and i see brand new boards INCLUDING breakaway bindings for $285-$300, for instance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elan-Freelin...item4acfe22503

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Head-Rod-94c...item58ab57a787

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snowjam-AA-9...item4acf82398d

So, just doing the mental math, I can either pay $200 for bindings, then have to buy a board separately, and i highly doubt I can get anything worth using for another $100, or I can just get everything together already for $300. The beautiful rvl8 stuff is all another 2-300$ just for the board, bringing total cost to closer to 500 including bindings.

Am I doing the math wrong? Are the above boards just crap? Would they work in Colorado in that kind of snow on the green and blue runs? Would I notice a difference as a "once in a year skier"?

To give some quick details, I am 5'8" and 155lbs.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome! I'm sure you'll get a ton of suggestions here, this community is super-helpful. Personally, if I had $300 to spend on a complete setup, there's no question I would go with the Spruce 120 package direct from Spruce:

http://spruceskis.weebly.com/spruce-...d-package.html

IMO, these would serve you much better than those other boards.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkmarker View Post
      Welcome! I'm sure you'll get a ton of suggestions here, this community is super-helpful. Personally, if I had $300 to spend on a complete setup, there's no question I would go with the Spruce 120 package direct from Spruce:

http://spruceskis.weebly.com/spruce-...d-package.html

IMO, these would serve you much better than those other boards.
      Thanks so much for the quick response! I should probably also mention that I mostly ski on the east coast. CO is a big treat this year for myself

So I'd like whatever is "well rounded", speed or tricks are a low priority. I like to just cruise around.

Those look pretty sweet, but, they aren't really that "short" at 120cm. I was mostly recommended 80-99cm stuff, any reason to go bigger?

Comment

Olav -- First and foremost welcome to the forum. Here are my thoughts on your situation.

The boards you listed are not "crap" but are not the same quality as RVL8, Spruce, or even Summit skiboards. There are plenty of guys that are hardcore skiboarders that started out on similar boards but once you improve your skill you may find yourself wanting more from your skiboards and those boards might not give it to you. Also depending on what you are doing in CO you may find those boards underpowered and not suitable for any powder conditions you may encounter but you are light so you may be able to make them work. All three tend to be narrow and more "ski like" than what some would call "real skiboards".

It sounds like a lot of you consideration is based on budget. So with that in mind I would think you have the following options at the very least:

1 - Look for used skiboards (on this forum, eBay, etc..). You will find most of these that come with bindings are non-release bindings so if you are looking for release bindings your options may be limited

2 - Rent a pair of those Solomon beaters or similar in CO or locally before your trip. If you find you like them you may change your mind on making a larger investment.

3 - Consider the Spruce 120 package direct from Spruce as recommended by Sparkmaker. These are my go to skiboards and I have ridden Vail and Beaver Creek CO on them in all types of conditions. The 120s are good balance of ski like length for support but still short and nimble. They have setbacks for powder and are perfect if the East Coast is your regular stomping grounds.

4 - If 120cm is too much for you consider the SnowJam Skiboards sold by SBOL. These are good entry level boards and will get you in the sport under that $500 mark. If you decide you want something different after you use them for a while you can reuse your bindings on any RVL8 board.

Good luck!
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

You guys are great, and if this is what the community is like, I think I'm going to love this sport.

Basically, with the length, I'm a better ice skater than a skier, so I thought with the really short ones, I'd be able to transfer some of my skating skill, hockey stops, etc.

At 120, would they be more like skis or more like skates?

Last time I went, I skied on 140cm skies, but it was nothing like a skating experience. I was better able to turn though and that helped, but still could not progress beyond the bigger greens. Mainly its a fear thing, I get going too fast and freak out.

So, if the shorter skis slowed me down, all the better!

But you have all suggested 120cm, so I guess taking expert opinions, I shouldn't go as short as I think. I'll have to think about it. I was also looking forward to packing easier, depending on how small I went, I thought I may even be able to pack them in my checked luggage. Probably not at 120 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Olav View Post
            You guys are great, and if this is what the community is like, I think I'm going to love this sport.

Mainly its a fear thing, I get going too fast and freak out.

I know exactly where you are coming from. It took me awhile to lose the fear of the mountain. It is all about control. Concentrate on stopping whenever you want. Do not look down the mountain. Look left 50' and then right 50' then left again. Do this and u are down in no time at all. It is not about speed in the beginning. Concentrate on balance and control. Speed will come naturally after that.

Comment

Short is not necessarily slower. There are plenty of skiboarders on 101cm skiboards that fly around the mountain over 40 and up to 65 MPH. With that said shorter skiboards will feel more skate like.

For a bit of perspective, I played ice hockey in college and still do. I was always frustrated that I could not ski well given my skating skills and went to skiboards for the skate like feel. I stated on a 101cm Defiance Blades and then upgraded to the Spruce 120 mostly because of my size (6'5" 200lbs). They still feel very skate like to me. The 120s have a soft flex that is very forgiving and they are a great all mountain cruising ski. At your size they might feel less skate like but certainly not like skis. You can ride them in a more skate like position, more upright and centered. All skiboards don't require the "out over your tips" lean that skis require.

In short If you felt better on the 140cm ski you'll feel completely different on the Spruce 120s. The 120 package is a great deal an if you make the investment and want shorter you'll have a set of bindings you can try with every board that Greco rents. If you decide to buy something shorter the 120s should be easy to sell (without the bindings) to recover some of your investment.

BTW -- There are a couple of guys selling their 120s now. If you are interested you should post a "Want to Buy" in the gear section of the forum.

Note -- If you buy Spruce Release bindings 2nd hand and they don't fit your boots contact Jeff at Spruce before you make any adjustments yourself.
              Boards:
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Excellent suggestion on the "WTB". I'll do that right now!

I don't own boots, so I figured I'd just rent them at the ski rental place and have them set the bindings for me. Is that a bad idea?

Comment

I don't own boots, so I figured I'd just rent them at the ski rental place and have them set the bindings for me. Is that a bad idea?
                  It's tough when working on a budget, but you may never get the full experience on anything you ride if you are in rental boots. They rarely fit well enough to give you the control and feel you need to decide what is best for you. In my opinion I think you may be better of in good boots and blades than bad boots and skiboards.

I would buy good fitting, comfortable boots first. They don't have to be expensive as skiboarding promotes an upright stance and softer flex, which many beginner boots have. Then you can worry about renting or buying boards.

I would go short, especially with your skating background. Sub 100 cm boards will give you control and confidence. Once you work out what your "style" is, you can upgrade later. Having said that the Spruce 120 deal is hard to beat.
                  Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                    It's tough when working on a budget, but you may never get the full experience on anything you ride if you are in rental boots. They rarely fit well enough to give you the control and feel you need to decide what is best for you. In my opinion I think you may be better of in good boots and blades than bad boots and skiboards.

I would buy good fitting, comfortable boots first. They don't have to be expensive as skiboarding promotes an upright stance and softer flex, which many beginner boots have. Then you can worry about renting or buying boards.
                    I agree with Bad Wolf. Get good comfortable boots first. If you need to make a choice between investing in boots and investing in skiboards spend your cash on the boots. Having good boots is essential.
                    Boards:
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                      I agree with Bad Wolf. Get good comfortable boots first. If you need to make a choice between investing in boots and investing in skiboards spend your cash on the boots. Having good boots is essential.
                      Maybe I'm not picky or something, but I've always rented boots and never had a problem. I'm a basic men's 11 with flat feet, so i'm fairly easy to fit. The thing is, I could buy my own boots and not skiboard because no places rents them, OR I could rent boots and get some boards.

I ski like 1x per winter for a few days, so this is really getting to just be too much. I mean, as it is, I'd have to check the skis and that'd be another $40 these days round-trip on airfare. At a certain point, it just doesn't make sense to invest in it at all. I had thought I could just get a pair of the Summit Jade 87s, which would pack down into my regular checked bag, and that would give me the best of all worlds. Rent boots when I get there and hit the snow. But moving up to 120s, I'd have to check another ski bag, and at that point, it just doesn't seem worth it.

I guess I may do the rent by mail on skiboards.com of the summit jade 87 or the summit nomad 99 and if I love them, then decide to invest in them or the blunt 88cm or something small that packs down easily. We'll see.

Thanks again for all your help and input. I agree the 120s are an awesome deal, its just that I don't want to be lugging along another bag with the price of checking baggage these days if I can avoid it. And at that size, I can just rent the shortest skis at the slopes.

Comment

Thanks again for all your help and input. I agree the 120s are an awesome deal, its just that I don't want to be lugging along another bag with the price of checking baggage these days if I can avoid it. And at that size, I can just rent the shortest skis at the slopes.
                        Another option is to buy a miniski/blade with a composite binding and rent boots like you suggested. These types of blades are cheap and will fit in most travel bags. Many on the forum started on products like these then progressed up once they grew out of them. I started on 5th Element LK Pros. They are perfectly adequate for groomers, trees and bumps and should give you a feel for the sport.

Here is a link to a bunch of products on eBay, many for under $100.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Attached Files
                        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

My main reason for suggesting the 120s is because it's a great deal if you're looking for an all-rounder. However, short boards are awesome too. I have a pair of 90cm Lines and still love them.

Nothing wrong with going the rental route either, but you should still keep an eye on used boards. I just noticed this popped up today on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revel-8-Skib...g/221368863212

Great boards, my wife has a pair.

Comment

I guess I may do the rent by mail on skiboards.com of the summit jade 87 or the summit nomad 99 and if I love them, then decide to invest in them or the blunt 88cm or something small that packs down easily.
                            There is nothing wrong with this and if you only ride 1-2 times per year this probably makes a lot of sense. I would suggest this over the boards/mini skis you listed in your original post. The Jades will feel the most skate like but the Nomads will give you a little more edge for control. If this rental is for your CO trip I would go with the Nomads. Compared to the 140cm skis you were on last they'll feel like a pair of CCM Hockey Skates. The rental route also gives you the option of switching to rental skis if the skiboards just don't work for you.

Side note: No matter if you ride once a year or every weekend you can't beat owning your own gear, especially boots. I am not trying to make a sale for Greco (SBOL/RVL8), Jeff (Spruce), Doc (Skiboards.com) or your local shop but saving the hassle of renting, knowing your gear fits perfect, and is waxed and tuned right can really improve your experience on the mountain. For years I rented skis & boots and thought the were just fine. After I finally invested in my own gear with fitted boots my performance and fun went through the roof. Since you are a skater I'll put it to you this way, renting all the time is a bit like borrowing a different friends gear every time you skate or play hockey. It all sort of fits but never fits the same and you never know what you are going to get. So give the rentals a try and if you like it you may want to bargain shop as the season closes. If you are smart about it you can probably get a whole set-up for the cost of 3-4 rentals.

BTW - When and where are you going in CO? I will be out a Beaver Creek and Vail in early March and there are a couple of SBOL regulars that live out there. Perhaps you can connect with me or them.
                            Boards:
                            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Wow, if those Revel8s had release bindings, I would be ALL over them!!!! Great find! I, unfortunately, just don't want to take the risk of non-release bindings. And, with the 120s, the bindings are perfect, but the length was something I wanted to avoid. Nothing is ever perfect (both cheap and matches what you want, I guess) Maybe at the end of the season though, for next year! :-)

I was a bit nervous with the Nomad/Jade rental, since everyone here raves about other brands, and I hadn't heard too much about the Summits, but hearing a second opinion saying they'll work out, I'm definitely going to go for the Nomads. And if they work out for me, I may just keep them and pay the difference after the trip. You know, after testing on the mountain, seeing if I love them, how they fit into a suitcase, etc.

I'm actually going to be on Copper Mtn around Mar 8-Mar 15. Probably 4 days in that block, since I don't think my legs can take more than around 4 days! Do you know anyone that goes there? I'd love to meet up, only thing is I expect to see them from behind as they shoot passed me (or avoid the bunny slopes I'm on )

One other question, my wife is 5'2" and 95lbs. She seems also interested since she's primarily an ice skater as well. Would you recommend Nomads for her too or Jades?

Comment

Working...
                              X