Ski Socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ski Socks

when getting fitted for a boot, I was talked into a set of Ski socks.

I thought "What the hey, why not give it a shot"

I do not see a benefit from them. Do they differ from brands? Do I need to buy a more expensive pair (spent $20) I see they're thick ones and slim ones, when would I want to use either? How do they differ from reg cotton or wool socks?

or did I simply just donate money.

Sometimes ski socks have extra padding in the toes, heel and shins to help the boot fit better and more comfortably. That can work for you or against you depending on how your boot fits already.

For years I used ski socks, multiple pairs of wool or cotton socks and struggled with cold and uncomfortable feet.

This year, i started wearing a better base layer, and had no problem in 0*F (-17*C) temps with a single pair of cotton crew socks. Also rode in -10*F (-23*C) with a pair of medium weight Fox River boot socks (I'm sure i would have been fine with the crew socks). I also wear those Fox River socks on my motorcycle in the summer...

Socks are for wicking away moisture. If you are wearing them for warmth, you need to warm up your core. If your socks are too thick you can cut off circulation to your feet, and then nothing will keep them warm.

Comment

thanks for your reply.

I don't wear it for either ... my boots fit/feel the same with our without the ski socks and as for warmth I'm fine. I just bought a pair bc the lady said it made a difference haha

I will try it again and pay more attention to the extra padded area and see. I'll do the swap side by side
      1hr with reg crew cotton
      1hr with ski socks
      1hr of 1 crew cotton and 1 ski sock

Comment

i forgot to bring my ski socks to college with me, so i used dress socks my mom gave me. i like dress socks better haha

Comment

Ski-specific socks can be beneficial depending on one's needs - they are typically very high (e.g., coming to just below the knee) so they extend the full height of boots, they can have padding in certain places as was pointed out, compression zones to provide support, etc. and are usually fairly thin, which theoretically is desired with a proper fitting boot. I like SmartWool socks, or I guess any other brand of good merino wool socks, and I have 2 pair of SmarWool ski socks I like a lot. I have a pair of Spyder brand socks that are synthetic and I dislike them - wore them twice and don't wear them anymore because it feels like my feet a sliding inside of the sock (and they are properly sized).

Ski socks often have padding or extra thickness in the shin presumably to help protect the shin from shin bang. I find that since I ride a very upright stance, am not pressure my boot tongues and am not doing anything like park where I might have landing impacts etc that drive me into my boot tongue that the padding in front is not necessary. Snowboard socks tend to be a uniform thickness the whole way round the shin and calf area - they might be an option too but are probably not any cheaper.

If ski-specific socks help, then wear them. If you find you don't need them, then you can save money and not pay the premium for them. Sounds like your planned experiment will tell you.
          In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

I have Wigwam Ultimax, thinner UnderArmour, Bula, Burton and even military issue knee high wool. Invisible toe seams is a must have feature for me as it drives me nuts if I can feel the stitching. My go to sock is usually a thicker pair of Burton snowboard socks for extra warmth and better boot fit plus they're less tight around the calf. Despite my chicken legs, I find the majority of ski socks too tight reducing circulation causing my lower legs to ache or resulting in cold toes, though it's often a combination of boots that are too tight.

Are ski/snowboard socks any better than regular crew socks, for me yes. No worries about cold, compacted out, damp cotton or pulling them up throughout the day; simply put on before I leave the house and I don't think about them again until I take them off.
            Boards: RVL*8 '08 Revolt Chicken's, Canon M7 Black, Line Fly 4 post
            Bindings: Line FF Pro, Groove Red X1
            Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Comment

i can't wait to try them out now ... I never really paid attention to how my socks felt .. I more or less looked at other things

hardboot/soft boot
              release binding/non release
              testing out all the different skiboards

but now that I finally found my boot i guess this would be the best time to find the sock to compliment the boot

Comment

I love real thin moisture wicking knee high ski socks. The good quality ones stay pulled up during a full day on the slopes. I think thin socks cause less friction and less blisters than thick socks. Moisture wicking is essential, cotton sucks. I think the knee highs take advantage of calf muscles to help hold them up by being hard to slip down over your calf.

Before all the polyprpelene and high tech stuff. silk was used a lot.

Level9 is a good source for ski socks.
                http://www.levelninesports.com/Searc...s=socks&page=1

Comment

Shortydude has it. Decent ski socks stay pulled up all day which prevents discomfort from creases as the day goes on. I have pairs from loads of different sources over the years and other than that there is not much in it. I don't much care for the very thick varieties as they are uncomfortable with street shoes to/from resort. I actually have some monogrammed R and L LOL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                  Crossbow (go to dream board)
                  Most everything else over time.
                  Go Android

Comment

Working...
                  X