Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about LINE Transfer boots and Sherpas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about LINE Transfer boots and Sherpas.

So my Sherpas arrived this week and I am anxious to take them out this weekend but had a question / concern.

Does anyone know if LINE Transfer boots be safely used in release bindings ?

I tried checking on the LINE site but they don't have any info about the old gear from 10 years ago.

I did a quick check for fit at home and them seemed to snap in pretty well but I don't want to be doing 30mph on the slopes and find out the hardway.

(Thanks for the image kalexx)

I believe LINE Transfer Boots are not DIN compatible and were made specifically for non-release bindings. I am not sure but know that there are a few active forum members (Bill) that owned these and were selling them a while back. They can confirm but my suspicion is they are not designed to work with release bindings.

The best suggestion is to take these to a ski shop with the Sherpas and Bindings and have they do a binding check. All bindings should be adjusted to work with your boots. This is usually a $10-20 service and cheap insurance.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
      I believe LINE Transfer Boots are not DIN compatible and were made specifically for non-release bindings. I am not sure but know that there are a few active forum members (Bill) that owned these and were selling them a while back. They can confirm but my suspicion is they are not designed to work with release bindings.

The best suggestion is to take these to a ski shop with the Sherpas and Bindings and have they do a binding check. All bindings should be adjusted to work with your boots. This is usually a $10-20 service and cheap insurance.
      Thanks, That's a good idea. I will bring them over today.

Comment

Originally posted by mtg_boston View Post
        Thanks, That's a good idea. I will bring them over today.
        If your shop knows what they are doing they will immediately reject the boots and not charge you for the adjustment if they are not DIN compatible.
        Boards:
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
          The pair of Line boots I had were part of a package deal bought on ebay just to get the bindings that were part of the lot, seems like I sold them cheap or gave them away here on the forum. Wookie is correct, they are repurposed hardshell snowboard boots, and are NOT DIN compatible, but are well suited for nonrelease bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            The pair of Line boots I had were part of a package deal bought on ebay just to get the bindings that were part of the lot, seems like I sold them cheap or gave them away here on the forum. Wookie is correct, they are repurposed hardshell snowboard boots, and are NOT DIN compatible, but are well suited for nonrelease bindings.
            I've seen these on eBay and was trying to work out what they are, or were. The description makes them sound like a cross between a ski boot and snowboard boot, but for non release bindings only?

Are they similar to the Lines?

eBay listing for Salomon Snowtrip Boots

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
              I've seen these on eBay and was trying to work out what they are, or were. The description makes them sound like a cross between a ski boot and snowboard boot, but for non release bindings only?

The description of that ad states "The Salomon Snowtrip was originally designed as part of a new Alpine boot/binding system that was easy to walk in. It does not function in standard releasable DIN bindings due the soft soles, the toe will not release properly and is not safe in standard alpine ski equipment if you desire a normal sideways release."

I have a similar boot that IS DIN Compatible. The Salomon Verse 5.0 from several years back:

Comment

Those are Alpine touring boots .... Alpine touring boots are designed to be used in special alpine touring bindings such as the Fritschi Alpine touring bindings and not in standard downhill ski bindings . The difference is that they have a vibram walking sole with tread and do not have the flat smooth surface in the toe and heels of the boot that allow a smooth release from the antifriction plates in the front and back of standard release bindings . While you can sometimes snap them into a regular release binding they will not have reliable release . Alpine touring bindings are specialized expensive bindings that do allow DIN release for these types of boot as well as standard ski boots and also allow release of the binding bar for touring .... Alpine touring boots do work well in standard non release skiboard bindings as they do have a front and back ledge.
                Boards :
                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                Boots
                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                Bindings:
                Zero Pro Non release Binding
                Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                  Those are Alpine touring boots .... Alpine touring boots are designed to be used in special alpine touring bindings such as the Fritschi Alpine touring bindings and not in standard downhill ski bindings . The difference is that they have a vibram walking sole with tread and do not have the flat smooth surface in the toe and heels of the boot that allow a smooth release from the antifriction plates in the front and back of standard release bindings . While you can sometimes snap them into a regular release binding they will not have reliable release . Alpine touring bindings are specialized expensive bindings that do allow DIN release for these types of boot as well as standard ski boots and also allow release of the binding bar for touring .... Alpine touring boots do work well in standard non release skiboard bindings as they do have a front and back ledge.
                  Thanks for the info. I was tempted to get them because they looked so comfortable, but the pair in my size went before I could bid. Since then I'vre tried to research them but there is little info out there. Would they be more comfortable than hard boots in non release bindings and do they have enough structural ingegrity to carve?
                  Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was tempted to get them because they looked so comfortable, but the pair in my size went before I could bid. Since then I'vre tried to research them but there is little info out there. Would they be more comfortable than hard boots in non release bindings and do they have enough structural ingegrity to carve?
                    There were some older alpine touring boots that were softer and more comfortable then most regular ski boots but at the expense of carving ability ... most of the newer models though are built like regular ski boots and although lighter in general and easier to walk in are built like regular ski boots with 4 buckles and do not , I think have much advantage over a comfortable regular ski boot if you are not doing a lot of touring or hiking .
                    Boards :
                    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                    Boots
                    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                    Bindings:
                    Zero Pro Non release Binding
                    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

So I paid to have my bindings and boots check and it turns out my original LINE Transfer boots are DIN compatible. I paid $ 30.00 to have them torque tested with my new Sherpa's the tech said they are fine.

So I am off to Cannon tomorrow to try them out, can't wait !

Comment

So I paid to have my bindings and boots check and it turns out my original LINE Transfer boots are DIN compatible. I paid $ 30.00 to have them torque tested with my new Sherpa's the tech said they are fine.

So I am off to Cannon tomorrow to try them out, can't wait !
                        $30 = Cheap insurance .... have fun. Let us know how they work out.
                        Boards:
                        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

That's great news, mtg_boston, I'm glad you didn't listen to my advice ;-) Maybe line had different versions of this boot made? It could be your boots came out concurrently with line's short-lived "reactor' release binding, it would be interesting to know.

Comment

ISO DIN Standard

I am not sure when the ISO DIN standard for alpine skiboots first went into effect or when boots made to conform to the standard first had to be marked but I believe all alpine ski boots that adhere to this standard (for use with release bindings) are marked accordingly. For example on the heel blocks of my Atomic Hawx 80 boots inside of the tread (on the flat part between the tread ridges) there is a mark "ISO, DIN 5355". Here is a link to the overview of the ISO standard - http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail?csnumber=38623. Checking for this mark is another way to tell if the boots are compatible with modern release bindings for alpine skis.
                            In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                            Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

yeah line made 2 diff. boots one is skiboard only. the other one's (the one's it looks like you have) can be used with a ski binding. such a great boot i wish i could find a pair in my size.

matt

Comment

Working...
                              X