Homemade Rubber Binding Risers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Rubber Binding Risers

My rubber sheet came in from the Rubber Sheet Roll Company. It was $14.97 delivered for a 12 by 12 quarter inch sheet. This size sheet is big enough to get six pads out of.

RSR Company

The plan was to make a duplicate riser pad to fit my Line FF Pros so I could double the stand height. of course you could use it to make risers or pads for any number of bindings.

I used the original pad as a template and cut it out with a sharp hobby knife. It was surprisingly easy to cut through freehand. The hardest part is keeping the blade perfectly upright. I then drilled out the binding holes with a quarter inch bit. To finish the pads off I sandwiched them between the two binding plates and used the knife to trim off the excess.

The end effect is not perfect, but you have to look close to see the imperfections. I'm sure some one with more patience and better tools could have done a more precise job. It's not exactly rocket science, but this turned out to be a cheap and easy solution.

Attached Files
    Just these, nothing else !

How firm is the rubber compared to the pads that come with the FF-Pros? How much do they squish when you tighten down the bindings to the boards?
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      How firm is the rubber compared to the pads that come with the FF-Pros? How much do they squish when you tighten down the bindings to the boards?
      As far as I can tell it seems to have the same properties. I cranked it down pretty hard and didn't notice any significant bulge compared to the original. I did cut out the center holes as Slow(?) suggested to give it room to expand. Seems the same to me.

Comment

Please send me the link to the exact sheet of rubber you bought.
        Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Please send me the link to the exact sheet of rubber you bought.
          This is the general ordering page, it is the 1/4 inch (12x12), the link to order is the price in blue $8.12;

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/rubber-sheets.htm

This is the link to the actual order page;

http://store20.prestostore.com/catal...tore/pd2145421

Comment

Nice DIY project!

FYI: A tip valmorel has shared in the past is to apply clear packing or duct tape to the rubber pads on the surface that makes contact with the skiboard to avoid discoloring the top sheet.
            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
              This is the general ordering page, it is the 1/4 inch (12x12), the link to order is the price in blue $8.12;

http://www.rubbersheetroll.com/rubber-sheets.htm

This is the link to the actual order page;

http://store20.prestostore.com/catal...tore/pd2145421
              Thanks! How long would you say it took before you got your order?
              Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Thanks! How long would you say it took before you got your order?
                A week (ish).

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                  Nice DIY project!

FYI: A tip valmorel has shared in the past is to apply clear packing or duct tape to the rubber pads on the surface that makes contact with the skiboard to avoid discoloring the top sheet.
                  Good idea. I hate that dirty ring on my shiney new Blunts!

Comment

Stops the bindings sticking making them easier to remove too

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                    Crossbow (go to dream board)
                    Most everything else over time.
                    Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                      Stops the bindings sticking making them easier to remove too

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                      That's an added plus.
                      Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                      Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Great pics. In case anyone else wants to do this, you will want around a 45 shore A rubber. Or if you are in a pinch you can swing by a tractor supply and see if they have rubber belting. If you change the height of the binding make sure the mounting bolts don't punch through and give your boards outie belly buttons.
                        www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
                        DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
                        Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
                        GGO soft boot bindings
                        Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

Originally posted by bee View Post
                          Great pics. In case anyone else wants to do this, you will want around a 45 shore A rubber. Or if you are in a pinch you can swing by a tractor supply and see if they have rubber belting. If you change the height of the binding make sure the mounting bolts don't punch through and give your boards outie belly buttons.
                          Thanks Bee, and great point about the screws. The Line FF Pros use a 20 mm M6 screw on their regular set up, the pad is a quarter inch thick. With the two pad set up you need a 25 mm screw. For comparison the Spruce Riser screw is 30 mm and will bottom out. Of course this is just for the Line FF Pros, other bindings may not measure up the same way and need different lengths of screws.

Good job Valmorel just showed us how to trim screws to length!

Comment

I can't believe how hard it is to find M6 25 mm stainless steel screws around here. I need 32 total. After visits to four different Ace Hardwares and a True Value, I'm still 8 short. The 24 I did fine are a mix of allen & cross-tip heads.
                            Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                            Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

I can't believe how hard it is to find M6 25 mm stainless steel screws around here. I need 32 total. After visits to four different Ace Hardwares and a True Value, I'm still 8 short. The 24 I did fine are a mix of allen & cross-tip heads.
                              If you are still short by the time the Powndown rolls around I'll bring some out for with me. Did your rubber sheet come in yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X