The Blunt Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gromit hooked me up

2014 Blunts with FF cams. Currently skiing them in my room, but soon they' ll see snow in Slovenia as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lenartalot View Post
      2014 Blunts with FF cams. Currently skiing them in my room, but soon they' ll see snow in Slovenia as well.
      Welcome to the club, added you are!
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

• So, I took the Blunts out today for a first time. Interesting experience for me, since I've never ridden such short and fat boards.

I liked them the most in soft deep skied-off piled-up snow on the side of the trail, that just about everyone else was avoiding as their skis were catching edges and sinking down uncomfortably. I had a blast there on the Blunts (at fairly low speeds) - feet together, deep-powder technique, smooth turns: worked great. Not so great on frozen artificial snow. And a bit of a bumpy ride, being so short they don't absorb wavy terrain as well as even a short ski like Jeff's Head Jr. Caddy.

The other place I liked them well was on a narrow steep section, where I took full advantage of their short turn radius and short length. Making half a dozen quick short turns where most skiers would do just a couple.

I found them stable at speed too and, unexpectedly, not all that squirrelly at all going in a straight line.

What did surprise me less positively was their tendency to try and make a tight turn when I wanted to make a wider one. Perhaps, I was a bit too aggressive with the edge sharpening and need to detune the ends a little? But mainly, it was that short turn radius and the surprising eagerness to hold an edge when asked. Basically, I think the turn radius is way too short for anything but going veeeery slow with very small turns.

Another negative consequence of skiboards is that when carved a bit more aggressively, they tend to slow down compared to longer skis that exhibit much less of that. By slow down I mean they experience more resistance from the snow during the most powerful phase of the carve. The Blunts weren't terrible in that regards, but like the Revolts for example, when pushed harder in carving they would slow down and let me know I should open-up the turn radius some or slow down. So, not carving machines, at least not at speed.

And on ice and very firm snow they will never be my favorite for understandable reasons.

I think I got quite comfortable on them as the day progressed. But I also think I got a bit more tired in the upper legs than I would normally be on longer boards. I felt I needed to be just a little in the back seat in the deep areas, and that gets tiring quicker.

Only had a couple of "close calls" where I almost face planted or sat back in deep stuff, but I regained control quickly enough to recover nicely.

I think these are a great board for soft days. I rode them with Line FF Cam bindings and ski boots. Next time I might try a soft boot setup, but need to add a 3rd strap to my Head snowboard bindings or make my own bindings before I try this (will use the Summit risers). My snowboard bindings are way too wide for these boards even on risers IMO. Would be fine in powdery stuff, but I'm afraid they will interfere with carving on groomed slopes.

Comment

• This is my second season on the Blunts, and I love the hell out of these boards. They're great in all conditions, and especially a blast on jibs in the park.

The biggest change I've made this season is the switch from softboots to hardboots. I've been wanting to get release bindings for the past few seasons but couldn't afford a proper Spruce riser (Experimentation with other solutions didn't turn out so well). I finally caught a great deal on an older model riser right before this season started.

Between the very maneuverable and responsive Blunts and the predictable, solid connection the hardboots offer, this set up feels great!!

Here's a few action shots from this season so far:

One of the things I love about skiboarding so much is the amount of options and customizability. It is great to only need one set of bindings and be able to easily swap to any boards. Half the fun is building a kit to fit your needs!

The Blunts are a great daily driver and I enjoy them immensely. Glad I decided to join the club

Comment

• rode revolts for 2 seasons. i've been 4 times on my new blunt xl's and love them.

center or back? back only so far, in CO deep. might try center this wknd. thoughts?
            Rigs as of 2021
            - RVL8 Revolt Trees w/ Tyrolia Attack2 13 Demo
            - Summit Invertigo's w/ Salomon Shift MNC 13 AT Bindings
            with Dalbello Quantum Free 110

Comment

• Originally posted by mikeingram71 View Post
              rode revolts for 2 seasons. i've been 4 times on my new blunt xl's and love them.

center or back? back only so far, in CO deep. might try center this wknd. thoughts?
              Give center a try. That's how I always ride. Set back has never felt right for me on skiboards, but yet I ride skis back from center just fine. Weird!
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• I rode them centered and the Blunts felt right. Same for the KTPs, which are the only board I've tried setback - it felt wrong setback, the tails would slide out too easily. Switched to center on the next run, problem solved. But that's on choppy or deep ill-groomed conditions, not in deep powder, where I have not tried skiboards yet.

Comment

• thanks for both your preferences. i figured there would be a majority opinion on that. i have 2 friends that both ride blunt xl's, center mount, so that's 4 of 4. changed them.
                  Rigs as of 2021
                  - RVL8 Revolt Trees w/ Tyrolia Attack2 13 Demo
                  - Summit Invertigo's w/ Salomon Shift MNC 13 AT Bindings
                  with Dalbello Quantum Free 110

Comment

• I've been riding my XLs most of this season. Way too much fun. I did take out my shorter Blunts once but they just don't feel right for me. Also I switched from Bomber 2 to Attack 13 on the XL and am much happier on jumps in the park. The risers stop the flex when they contact the board which helps from tipping off balance. This is just super!

Comment

• After several days this year of trying hard to see what all I can tackle with the Blunts, I've decided that Greco should market them as something like "More fun per square inch (or per cm) than any other skiboard on the planet!". I'm beating the poor things up so much this year, they'll probably be my rock boards next season.
                      171cm/190lbs
                      Current Favorites:
                      RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                      Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                      Other boards I'm trying:
                      Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

• Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
                        After several days this year of trying hard to see what all I can tackle with the Blunts, I've decided that Greco should market them as something like "More fun per square inch (or per cm) than any other skiboard on the planet!". I'm beating the poor things up so much this year, they'll probably be my rock boards next season.
                        Right on! To me the Blunts are similar to maybe a Mazda Miata: not the fastest sports car, only enough storage for a gym bag and backpack, not the best at anything really, but just a blast to enjoy!
                        In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                        Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                          Right on! To me the Blunts are similar to maybe a Mazda Miata: not the fastest sports car, only enough storage for a gym bag and backpack, not the best at anything really, but just a blast to enjoy!
                          Pretty much true of any sub-100 cm pair of boards.
                          Boards/Bindings:
                          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• Former Rider, New RVL8 Owner

Acquired my first set of skiboards from Kocho, greatly appreciate his professionalism and smooth transaction. Grew up snowboarding, then my dad got me to try out Salomon Snowblades some years ago, hah. It's time to come to the right side.

RVL8 Blunts, FiveForty Snowjam bindings, Saavi hooks, and Missouri risers. Planning on taking these up to Sierra at Tahoe this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by ronald View Post
                              RVL8 Blunts, FiveForty Snowjam bindings, Saavi hooks, and Missouri risers. Planning on taking these up to Sierra at Tahoe this weekend.
                              Nice set up. When the Blunts first came out a few years ago, we had a dedicated "Blunt" day at Shredfest. There was a dozen of us riding Blunts at Alpine that day. Very cool.

This year's Shredfest starts a week next Monday and is based in SLT. In fact, they will be at Sierra on Wednesday March 1st. If you hadn't planned on going, you should!

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ight=shredfest
                              Just these, nothing else !

Comment

• Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                                This year's Shredfest starts a week next Monday and is based in SLT. In fact, they will be at Sierra on Wednesday March 1st. If you hadn't planned on going, you should!

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ight=shredfest
                                I've seen the thread posted, thanks! Unfortunately recent changes with work won't allow me to drive up that week, so I'll have to shred in spirit. I'm sure I'll be planning to meet you guys down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X