No announcement yet.

The Blunt Owners Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• made a little boot mount for my blunts, little shaky might need more padding

School holidays = lots of small kids ( including my own in there somewhere) = putting on the brakes
    Last edited by Greco; 07-17-2014, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• hit turoa & whakapapa this weekend, almost killed myself on turoa in white out straight off a cliff into a bank that I don't recall being there last year lol, but on the positive as a result of that and me being sore all day Saturday, I got to teach the boy to ski, I did manage to remember to record my last run when my legs are absolutely burning, so Im being lazy and stopping every 100 metres or so.

Im not sure if its me still getting use to the snowboard boot setup ( I think Ill order some ski bindings this week to try) or I need to alter my old ski style, I seem to always over steer in them, especially when im tired - and as a result end up braking too much. I guess its something Ill have to adjust to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Waldo View Post

Im not sure if its me still getting use to the snowboard boot setup ( I think Ill order some ski bindings this week to try) or I need to alter my old ski style, I seem to always over steer in them, especially when im tired - and as a result end up braking too much. I guess its something Ill have to adjust to.
        If you are new to skiboarding from skiing, it could just be the tighter turn radius making you skid. I took me a while to get used to how fast a skibaord will turn when you really edge it. Another component may be that the Blunts are extra wide and zero cambered. Although they are easy to slarve, it can be harder to really get them on edge. I found my self using double pads on my Line bindings to help get extra leverage. The soft boot set could also be contributing as they will probably not be as "crisp" as a hard boot set up.

In answer to your other thread, I do have a spare pair of Spruce Risers/Bindings. I'm not sure if the cost of shipping to the other side of the world would make it worth your while?
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

• Quick question for the Blunt Owners. I'm about 5'8 190 lbs so a bit on the heavier side. Would you recommend these blunts for someone of that size? Or would you refer them to something a bit longer? (Just curious)
          Riding: RVL8 '15 Rockered Condors
          Bindings: RVL8 '15 Black Receptors | Tyrolia Attack 13 Release Bindings
          Boots: Full Tilt '14 Booters - 27.5

Comment

• Originally posted by wushuguy View Post
            Quick question for the Blunt Owners. I'm about 5'8 190 lbs so a bit on the heavier side. Would you recommend these blunts for someone of that size? Or would you refer them to something a bit longer? (Just curious)
            It's doable. There are riders at that weight and above riding the Blunts.
            Boards/Bindings:
            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Quick question for the Blunt Owners. I'm about 5'8 190 lbs so a bit on the heavier side. Would you recommend these blunts for someone of that size? Or would you refer them to something a bit longer? (Just curious)
              I'm close to you at 5'9" 180lbs and had no problems. To be fair the deepest snow we got all year was never much more than about a foot, but they will float if you keep your speed up. There are reports from guys with more weight riding the Blunts without issue. Remember that their width give them as much surface area as longer boards. I don't think you will have any issues.

To answer your boot question, the two most popular recommendations seem to be the Thraxis and the Malamutes. The DC Gizmo has a high flex rating as well. The Malamutes were on sale on various sites for $50 earlier this season, which is a great deal. I got a pair. The fit isn't as particular as hard ski boots, but there is some variance in sizing and boot volume. Do go for a quality boot as the stiffness can break down with use with cheaper brands, at least according my local pro shop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                I'm close to you at 5'9" 180lbs and had no problems. To be fair the deepest snow we got all year was never much more than about a foot, but they will float if you keep your speed up. There are reports from guys with more weight riding the Blunts without issue. Remember that their width give them as much surface area as longer boards. I don't think you will have any issues.

To answer your boot question, the two most popular recommendations seem to be the Thraxis and the Malamutes. The DC Gizmo has a high flex rating as well. The Malamutes were on sale on various sites for $50 earlier this season, which is a great deal. I got a pair. The fit isn't as particular as hard ski boots, but there is some variance in sizing and boot volume. Do go for a quality boot as the stiffness can break down with use with cheaper brands, at least according my local pro shop.
                Great tips as usual! Which sites were you looking at? And I'm assuming we do go for high flex with snowboard boots And has any ridden the blunts with the snowjam bindings? (I'm slightly learning towards the blunts for cost over the RC

Comment

And has any ridden the blunts with the snowjam bindings?
                  I'm pretty sure jjue has. He'll probably read this and chime in.
                  Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                  Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• yea. That'd be nice. I'm also under the assumption that the bindings will fit most types of snowboard boots? (Just because I'm thinking of waiting till our big snowboard show in October to pick out a cheaper pair!)

Comment

• The deeper the snow the more you notice the extra float for us 190+ lb guys on the Rockered Condor ( I am right around 190lbs and 6' tall ) .. but the Blunts worked real well for me as long as I was going fast and on steeper slopes in not too deep pow .. you can get pretty much any snowboard boot to fit , the biggest issues are the boa dials ,but even with my triple boa K2 thraxis I got the snowjam bindings to work by bending the saavi wings out a little to accomodate the side boas, no issue with the front strap fitting over the front boa ...
                      I really like both the Rockered Condors and the Blunts with the Sbol modified snowboard bindings , I use the Blunts when there is not too much pow and the RC in the backcountry or when there is a lot of pow ...
                      Boards :
                      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                      Boots
                      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                      Bindings:
                      Zero Pro Non release Binding
                      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjue View Post
                        The deeper the snow the more you notice the extra float for us 190+ lb guys on the Rockered Condor ( I am right around 190lbs and 6' tall ) .. but the Blunts worked real well for me as long as I was going fast and on steeper slopes in not too deep pow .. you can get pretty much any snowboard boot to fit , the biggest issues are the boa dials ,but even with my triple boa K2 thraxis I got the snowjam bindings to work by bending the saavi wings out a little to accomodate the side boas, no issue with the front strap fitting over the front boa ...
                        I really like both the Rockered Condors and the Blunts with the Sbol modified snowboard bindings , I use the Blunts when there is not too much pow and the RC in the backcountry or when there is a lot of pow ...
                        Excellent writeup. Now I'm torn again between Blunts and RCs. Hahah!

Comment

Looks like you'll have to buy both.
                          Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                          Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

I think it depends on the types of conditions you normally ride in. If you ride in more groomed snow, frozen hard pack and not a lot of deeper snow or pow, the Blunts should work well. If you tend to ride in more powder, deeper snow and don't mind doing slip turns when the snow does get harder, then the RCs would be the choice. Jjue pretty much rides the RCs in everything and loves them - but he is Jjue so your mileage may vary…

If my daughter takes to my set of 120s this season I will have a set of well cared for Blunts to sell early in the season...
                            In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                            Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

• ...can I call dibs?

Comment

• Originally posted by Yegg View Post
                                ...can I call dibs?
                                I would if I were you. The Blunts have been universally enjoyed by almost everyone who had ridden them.

Comment

Working...
                                X