Walking blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking blocks

I have recently been experimenting with some walking blocks for my hardshell ski boots. The problem is that hardshell boots have a chunk of forward lean built in and are slippery to walk in. There are some detachable soles available that you can slip on for walking through the carpark etc but that means carrying them when skiing and taking them on and off etc. I have fitted a couple of 10mm thick rubber blocks as in the photo. These allow rocking when walking which is way more natural, increase grip, and allow a more natural stance when standing in the bar on tired legs. They clear the bindings when skiing, and allow the normal boot angle. They fit both my Receptor and my Riser. Walking feels way more natural, but the big gain comes when standing upright on a hard floor (skibus or bar LOL).
    Just now they are simply glued on, which allows eval without harming the boots.
    Dead simple, dirt cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

That is brilliant. What type of rubber did you use? How are you planning to do the permanent attachment?

That bar might come in handy too if you are in a situation on the slopes (e.g., you have twisted out of your bindings) where you need to walk up or downslope for a bit. The bar might serve as an "anchor" point to help the boot grip and not slide.

You are quite the tinkerer - perhaps one part Emmett "Doc" Brown, one part Thomas Edison and one part Angus MacGyver.
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post

You are quite the tinkerer - perhaps one part Emmett "Doc" Brown, one part Thomas Edison and one part Angus MacGyver.
      LOL. More like three parts bored

Raw material is always a problem. We live in a world in which the public seems to have stopped making things themselves. Chunk of shed rubber tire tread from the side of the road would do it. You probably have shoe repairers who would do the whole thing. I actually used a piece of rubber cut from a mat used for standing machinery on to dampen sound. One of my friends got it for me as he too understands how hard it can be getting materials.
      Today I am making a softboot binding conversion using a piece of plastic gutter

Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
        LOL. More like three parts bored

Raw material is always a problem. We live in a world in which the public seems to have stopped making things themselves. Chunk of shed rubber tire tread from the side of the road would do it. You probably have shoe repairers who would do the whole thing. I actually used a piece of rubber cut from a mat used for standing machinery on to dampen sound. One of my friends got it for me as he too understands how hard it can be getting materials.
        Today I am making a softboot binding conversion using a piece of plastic gutter

We live in a world in which the public seems to have stopped making things themselves - my wife and I were just talking about this the past week. Not only making things themselves, but also doing things themselves. Example from last night - my daughter was going to a homecoming dance at school and her friends all gathered at a house to get pictures taken. One of the girls had her zipper come unsewn - none of the other moms there, except for my wife, knew how to sew. My wife fixed it up in a few minutes. My daughter could have done it too because we had her take sewing classes. I also see this in the working world where companies don't want to seem to make or do much of anything anymore.

You probably have shoe repairers who would do the whole thing - where i live a shoe repair guy is getting very hard to find. Seems like shoes are mostly disposable now. But, there are a few shoe repair shops around - usually tucked into some obscure corner of a rundown strip mall that has seen better days. Shoe resoling material would work well since it is designed to walk on.

Keep us informed about how this works out for you.
        In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
        Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

It looks very promising valmorel. What did you use for adhesive?
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
            It looks very promising valmorel. What did you use for adhesive?
            Just now I used Evo Stick. Don't know what that is in N America but contact adhesive anyway, the kind its fun to sniff. I did this because it's peelable. For a more permanent bond, Superglue (cyano) would be better, but I am thinking that if it works as well in resort as it does in the workshop I might swap the rubber for plastic chopping board and use screws. I would be trading grip but it would be very durable if I can figure getting the screws in from the top. May need to drill some small holes in the top for the screwdriver to pass through then seal them shut later.

Go Android

Comment

Used them today at Xscape. Revelation. Only suitable for four clip type boots of course. For RE boots just open them some.

Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                Used them today at Xscape. Revelation. Only suitable for four clip type boots of course. For RE boots just open them some.

Did you ride the Blunts again?
                Boards/Bindings:
                2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                  Did you ride the Blunts again?
                  Yes. Fell off LOL! Great time of course.

Go Android

Comment

Work fine with Riser

Go Nexus
                    Go Android

Comment

Working...