Blunt Moods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    To you guys that tried the Blunts -- Are any of you over 6' tall and/or plus 200 lbs?

All the reviews sound amazing but I am wondering how they ride for a "Big Tall Guy". I am intrigued by the boards but cautious since I have always felt more comfortable on my 120s and 125LEs than my shorter boards. I think this is mostly height related as I have a higher center of gravity that gets much further "outside" the boards while turning and requires more edge to hold the turn.
    Hi Wookie , I am 6' tall and weigh 190 lbs ... The Blunt is amazingly stable for a 88cm board .. the width helps stability a lot
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

To you guys that tried the Blunts -- Are any of you over 6' tall and/or plus 200 lbs? .
      Wookie, Jack is in fact a big guy (6'3" I'm guessing) but has superhuman balance especially for a non ice skater. For taller hockey playing types, (me at least, maybe you?) I find the shorties fun, skatelike and easy, but more tiring to ride for an extended period compared to the 120's or other longboards, even though the shortest shorties have tons of fore-aft support compared to rockered hockey skates.

edit: whoops, I seem to have been typing while Jack was replying ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
        Hi Wookie , I am 6' tall and weigh 190 lbs ... The Blunt is amazingly stable for a 88cm board .. the width helps stability a lot
        Cool, I always thought you were a smaller guy. I'll try to demo a pair from one of my East Coast skiboarding brethren when the season starts. Thanks.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          Wookie, Jack is in fact a big guy (6'3" I'm guessing) but has superhuman balance especially for a non ice skater. For taller hockey playing types, (me at least, maybe you?) I find the shorties fun, skatelike and easy, but more tiring to ride for an extended period compared to the 120's or other longboards, even though the shortest shorties have tons of fore-aft support compared to rockered hockey skates.

edit: whoops, I seem to have been typing while Jack was replying ;-)
          Bill -- Over years of observing Jack through the forum I am aware of his superhuman mad Tibetan Sherpa-like on mountain skills but it's good to know the blunts can handle, from a physics standpoint, the higher forces that us bigger riders put on skiboards. I am a "taller hockey type" like you and successfully riding shorter shorties has never been the problem but you hit the nail right on head when you mention fatigue. I always feel like I am working harder to maintain balance over the course of a long day.

Considering the above, and the barely used pair of 125LEs in my quiver, I am not ready to throw in an order in for the Blunts but I will have to give them a try. I will have to convince a skiboarder close to me to let me try them.
          Boards:
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

...but I will have to give them a try. I will have to convince a skiboarder close to me to let me try them.
            I will let you!! First we have to get snow...

Comment

My Blunts have arrived. OMG! They are so cool looking. I wasn't sure about this graphic, but now seeing them in person, I love it. The silver Receptors are the bomb. They are the sharpest and cleanest looking color in the RVL8 lineup, IMO. After buying a pair for my wife's Chickens a while back, I was looking for an excuse to have my own pair. Now I have it.

Oh man! The Blunts are so short and fat. I can tell without even riding them; they're going to be a riot and my new favorite pair of boards.

Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by krillinakw View Post
                I will let you!! First we have to get snow...
                Cool, happy to let you mess with any of the boards in my quiver and buy the first round at the bar as payment.

I'm doing my snow dance as we speak. I think is it going to be a good season but won't know until we get some Pocono pavement to ride on. Perhaps we need an East Coast meet-up so we can all try the boards in each other's quivers (Bear Creek, Elk, Killington)?
                Boards:
                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                  My Blunts have arrived. OMG! They are so cool looking. I wasn't sure about this graphic, but now seeing them in person, I love it. The silver Receptors are the bomb. They are the sharpest and cleanest looking color in the RVL8 lineup, IMO. After buying a pair for my wife's Chickens a while back, I was looking for an excuse to have my own pair. Now I have it.

Oh man! The Blunts are so short and fat. I can tell without even riding them; they're going to be a riot and my new favorite pair of boards.

Oh yeah, mine too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
                  Crossbow (go to dream board)
                  Most everything else over time.
                  Go Android

Comment

Jjue, in my original review I said these little boards ' captured the very essence of skiboarding' Would you agree?

Crossbow (go to dream board)
                    Most everything else over time.
                    Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                      Jjue, in my original review I said these little boards ' captured the very essence of skiboarding' Would you agree?

Absolutely! the roots of skiboarding is in that sense of the boards being just an extension of your boots, playful , fun , maybe even goofy some times . My big problem with sub 100 boards in the past is that they felt just too undergunned for what I wanted to do on the mountain , too unstable , , This is the first time I have been on a sub 100cm board where I have felt , yes this is super cool the essence of the playfulness of the sub 100cm boards but in a fully competent and highly stable all mountain platform , yes uber wide but zero cambered and rockered so the width is not a hinderance but a positive to add balance and stability... , Yes ! balance and stability and uber playful all rolled together in one beautiful package ... ... brilliant !
                      Boards :
                      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                      Boots
                      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                      Bindings:
                      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Cool, happy to let you mess with any of the boards in my quiver and buy the first round at the bar as payment.

I'm doing my snow dance as we speak. I think is it going to be a good season but won't know until we get some Pocono pavement to ride on. Perhaps we need an East Coast meet-up so we can all try the boards in each other's quivers (Bear Creek, Elk, Killington)?
                        Sounds great brother!! Let me know if you are around for a day trip to Bear, I work there and would be able to swing a cheap or free pass for ya ::wink wink::

There absolutely must be east-coast meets, I plan on being at Blue and JFBB pretty frequently, not to mention Bear, and last but definitely not least Elk. As long as people post in the new East Coast meet-up and ride section and keep in touch, this should be a blast. I only got out with other skiboarders maybe 10 times last year (my friends snowboard and won't stop... the losers). I want to meet some new people and share our experiences and time together, to keep the community here growing and flurishing!!

Comment

Love this!

Jack, did you try spinning or riding backwards? Any powder stashes to blast through?
                          Boards/Bindings:
                          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                            Love this!

Jack, did you try spinning or riding backwards? Any powder stashes to blast through?
                            No powder , only man made stuff , whoops , I guess I was having so much fun I forgot to spin around LOL ,
                            I am not a great fakie rider , so did not try that ...
                            Boards :
                            Boots
                            Bindings:

Comment

Hey CAN2, you gonna give these a try since CAN has them?????? Let me know!
                              C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

The Blunts are little boards that act like big boards . For a Condor fanatic like me ... they feel very similar to Condors but easier to turn and more playful... certainly better carving on firm snow then the Rockered Condors and similar to regular Condors but without the extra length. Zero camber and Rockered tips make them super easy to turn and fun , smoother turning then Regular Condors or KTP's . Ease of turning similar to Rockered Condors but with better firm snow edging. They don't really feel like tiny boards ... they feel like super competent serious all mountain skiboards but with the added playfulness and fun of a shortie .. The Yin Yang motif really expresses the contradictions of this board . I love them !

The new SBOL modified Technine soft boot bindings are a superb match for these boards .. , all the control I could want , yet super comfortable and a more intimate feel for what is happening underfoot then hard boots.... No hardboots for me on the Blunts ... for me they are super fun comfy boards , that for the way I ride just cry out for the SBOL modified Technine soft boot binding set up . The new SBOL set up has a more flexible and easy going feel then the more rigid Rocker binding . Flexible in a good sense and not sloppy at all . I think I would definitely prefer the Technine set up on this board then my Rocker bindings .

More Video
                                Go Jack Go! The smile on your face says it all! Great video again - those look like little trench diggers for sure. They look like they track very well - I didn't see them getting bucked around or knocked off track through the rutted up snow.
                                In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                                Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Working...
                                X